1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official LVC thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Jul 21, 2009.

1. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

I can provide an LVC 1870s size medium Triple Pleat Denim Blouse if anyone is looking for one. soaked once, never worn.

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've bought rinsed or "hard rinsed" 1947's that haven't shrunk much when washed in cold and air dried. They tightened up perhaps a half inch in the waist and half an inch in length. The waist tends to stretch after a few wearings. If you buy distressed LVC, dont expect much if any shrinkage at all.

3. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

Yes, only the raw stuff shrinks significantly and permanently. Treated stuff, as you say, will tighten with a wash but always returns to its original form and then gives further.

4. GusW

Hurry, you won't want to miss this very limited release :)

[​IMG]

5. GusW

These are from the new Fall LVC collection. Price aside, would you wear them?

[​IMG]

6. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Senior member

I don't mind LVC pre distressed jeans but prefer the styles that are like the Rag Top wash that have a dirty tint to them. The bright washed pairs like those above are to washed and tattered for me

[​IMG]

7. The Pastoral Utopian

The Pastoral Utopian Active Member

These hideous specimens aside, I'm glad to see the denim Trucker III back in rotation along with the 1962 sanforized jeans.

8. GusW

I wish they would do a Style 2 jacket but with a slightly longer arm and torso.

9. GusW

I just got an email from Levis.com that they are offering free shipping and returns on all LVC. That will make sizing a lot easier.

10. GusW

I was in the San Francisco Levis store on Monday and they had this 1933 501 in stock. It actually looks a whole lot better IRL than this Levis web photo. The only things are it is very faded and $595.

11. ShaneB

ShaneB Senior member

I'm going to try shrink to fit for the first time - 1954 501.

What's the recommendation for waist size? LVC is TTS, and I always buy a 32 waist - so should I be buying a 32 waist in the shrink to fit? I assume it will shrink 0.5"-1" in the waist - which will be too tight - but well stretch out to a true 32 after some wear? Is that generally the rule?

Or should I be sizing up to a 33 waist or even 34 waist? But then wouldn't they stretch too big after wear?

If anyone could help by sharing their experiences that'd be a help - don't want to be paying down £100+ for jeans that don't end up fitting.

Cheers.

12. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

I bought a 33 in my 1954 STF 501z with a natural waist size of 34. I wore them in the tub and they got considerably tighter but eventually stretched back out to about a size 34. Kinda confusing but thought I'd add my 2 cents

13. ShaneB

ShaneB Senior member

^^^^

Yeah it does, cheers for that. I take it you're normally a 34 then for pre-soaked LVC?

I reckon I'll go for my usual waist & soak them whilst wearing them in the bath.

14. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I didn't realize there was an official LVC thread before I posted this question elsewhere.

I picked up these 1947 LVC 501 jeans off the MrPorter sale. I'm trying to find out I'd these are STF or not. The MrPorter site makes no mention of it but everything I've googled says this model is STF. But since these are washed and distressed they should be preshrunk right?

https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens...47-501-jacob-wash-selvedge-denim-jeans/458432

15. LAooy

LAooy Member

I can be wrong, but it is my understanding that the raw indigo 501's are STF.

I have a pair of 1947 raw that I soaked in hot water, and saw significant shrinkage especially with the inseam.

I also own a pair of these linked below

http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/...insed-regular-fit-selvedge-denim-jeans/379246

I purchased these with the same assumption you made, "Since they are rinsed, they must be pre-shrunk."
    I have only worn them a handful of times, and have yet to soak/wash them.

If you don't get a definite answer, I'd suggest calling a denim shop and talking to an expert.

16. The Pastoral Utopian

The Pastoral Utopian Active Member

Sanforized, rinsed or prewashed denim is still going to shrink in the length, especially if it's machine washed and dried. Any LVC 501 that isn't raw denim (what Mr. Porter identifies as shrink to fit and advises getting the next larger size) isn't going to pucker up in the top block but will lose some length. The way to counteract this is to stretch the jeans lengthwise after washing while they're still wet and to never subject them to the drier. To answer the question directly, the "jacob wash" is a treated--and therefore not raw--denim that will not shrink to fit but will likely lose some of its length.

I jumped on the deal for the LVC '62 jeans.

17. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

Thanks for the detailed reply. The jeans are 2" or so long in the inseam so them losing length would help me avoid tailoring costs. I just can't afford to have them get tighter in the waist, thighs, etc.

18. randomnoob

randomnoob Senior member

can anyone recommend a size for the 1954 501Z? i consider myself a 32" waist (in reality, i think it's creeped up over 33" lately..)

in regular cheap new Levi's, a 31" in 501 fits ok (though the rigid 31" i tried was huge and it wasnt STF), and in the new 541 athletic fit a 30" is perfect.

ideally, after soaking, i'd like to be measuring 16" across the waistband and stretch it out to 16.5" and have a little bit of room in the thighs

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  19. ShaneB

ShaneB Senior member

How much stretch in the waist can I get out of the 1947 501s?

Got the rigid 1947 501 - they shrank 2" in the leg but the waist remained true (i,e, 16"). Qute tight in the waist - hoping they'll stretch to 16.5 - how much wear do I need to get out of them before I see some stretching?

20. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

My feeling has been to get TTS and then hot soak while wearing them in the tub. Doing this allowed my 1954 501z's to become more form fitting around the thighs and calves while keeping the waist at a pretty constant size. I made sure to sit in a way that prevented the waist from shrinking too much