The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thanks for the info. Not sure where exactly I'll be working yet so I'm just looking around for now. Will look into those apartment complexes

2. 510kut

510kut Senior member

I'm not from LA but I've been down there quite a bit for work so I've spent a good bit of time around USC and Downtown.

If you're working near DT you probably wouldn't want to live near UCLA. I can't imagine that commute being any where close to enjoyable. You might be able to get away with living near USC, but besides the immediate area around campus its not the greatest. Food is pretty limited around there too. Although I guess the commute between USC and DT should be better whenever Expo light rail opens.

3. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

If you live downtown, live by Little Tokyo or the Arts district. Lots of emerging nightlife in that area, nice vibe, etc.

I'd recommend more the mid-wilshire area, near the Farmer's Market/Grove though. Probably more diverse everyday living.

4. aizan

aizan Senior member

there was an article in the sunday la times about highland park and northeast la.

5. siglo vi

siglo vi Senior member

Hey guys going to be visiting LA tomorrow but I have to get to a conference in San Diego at 10am Thursday. Am I pretty much screwed in terms of getting stuck in crazy traffic? What time should I leave, 6am? Will be staying in Beverly Hills. Thanks.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i try to stay away from chowhound. read it occasionally, though.

7. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I've got some friends in the area and my parents have a condo out in that area too. Nightlife is not as good as downtown/westside though, Its growing a bit and is great for cheap mexican food I guess. lots of mexican hipster types.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

usc and ucla are in different worlds geographically. on a normal evening, it can take an hour to get from one to the other. downtown is really terrific and still somewhat overbuilt so i think there might be some good bargains there. that will be close to usc, but far from ucla. one option might be mid-wilshire. there's a huge apartment complex called Park LaBrea that's almost exactly halfway in between, plus across the street from both la county art museum and the third street farmers market. tons of restaurants and shopping (you're within walking distance of the beverly center, la brea ave. and beverly drive, a short drive to melrose). there are also a lot of duplexes in that area. i lived there for 6 years when i first moved to la and it was one of the best choices i made -- you get a really great sense of the city.

9. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I'd try to get a hotel in SD the night before if I were you. Traffic won't be crazy, you're going the opposite direction of most traffic. If you have to speak or be there on time, I'd leave sometime before 7am just to be on the safe side, I don't think 6am is necessary but it can't hurt though...you'll just be there an hour early so I guess you can grab breakfast/coffee.

You might hit a few pockets of traffic on the 405 between the 105 and the 110 as well as around the 605/22 freeway, but i imagine it should be ok. Unfortunately, you will hit the rush hour traffic in San Diego, depending on where the conference is. Thats probably going to be the worst part of it.

Do take the toll road in Costa Mesa (73 freeway) though. You save 20 minutes or so even if there isn't traffic and if there is, you'll save a lot more.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

10. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I'm biased with Los Feliz. Depending on which part you live in, it can suck to have a car. The strip along Vermont notoriously sucks for parking but if you live out in the hills or Silverlake/Atwater Village then it's a lot easier.

I couldn't recommend a single spot until you knew exactly where you'd be working. It doesn't make sense to tell you to pick Los Feliz over Venice if you work in Marina Del Rey.

I think what's easier than telling you where to live is where not to live.
    No one in LA carries LF to my knowledge but I can ask their rep. You'd think it'd be a brand that would do well at Mohawk or Confederacy (if they had a good buyer.)

I'm trying to get the owner of the new store that took over Atmosphere to carry mens but since it's consignment it's a hard sell.
    Look at my avatar. No, no you wouldn't. I wouldn't wish that on anyone that wasn't attending class. It's arguably FAR better since I was there but there are MUCH better places to live if you need DT proximity, especially if the OP would be amendable to a 15 min drive or taking the redline/goldline.

I've seen them carry LVC, Sugar Cane, and even Alden of all things at that outpost. Bizarre.

11. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

I think it would be kind of hard to live downtown under 1200 a month. I live in silverlake off silverlake blvd away from the strip. I like it. It's quiet and perfect for what I need.

12. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

If you need to be in SD by 10am and you're in Beverly Hills, I would give at least 3 hours. Normally a little more than 2, but you'll likely hit traffic in Orange County and again in Northern SD County.

13. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Here

Shoot down Olympic to Downtown, not a bad commute.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

pro-tip for getting from mid-cities east: pick up san vicente to pico, pico to western, western to the 10. yowza.
    beverly is usually the best surface street. i did that commute for 6 years.

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

^this is genius i don't know why i don't do this all the time usually la brea to san vicente or nightmarish la cienega