Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I hate the douchery that Bazaar stands for. It makes me wish that you could separate the food from the clientele and/or location but Jose apparently wants to go balls deep in a crowd that flies to NYC just to shop at Scoop.

2. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Had Church and State last night, wow. Loved it. Short Rib tarte was amazing, salmon, mussels, oysters, seriously everything was top notch. Loved the Kentucky Jam cocktail too. Highly reccomended.

3. ysb

ysb Senior member

I've had gjelina for lunch. decent pizza. I think the back patio area is where you want to be. didn't really wow me enough to warrant wanting to go back, but I'm more in a cheap eats phase right now.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    they're really different restaurants, particularly gjelina. if you want the whole cali/alice waters/farm to table thing, that is absolutely your best choice of the three. and the food is delicious. i still haven't eaten at ink, but there's a semi-private dining room at bazaar far away from teh db lobby called ssam bar (no misspelling) and i've had a couple of my best "molecular" meals ever there.

5. uninkco

uninkco Senior member

Going back home for a few days for the LA Marathon and don't have too much time. Any places around LACMA I should try?

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

oddly enough, the restaurant at lacma is great. seriously. well, not great. but really, really, really good.

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Congratulations on the Jonathan Gold hire.^^^

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

thanks!

9. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

tried to go to the tripel in playa del rey last night, supercrowded and tiny. ended up at A-frame, solid meal.

Kobe Beef Tataki
    Charred octopus
    Brussel Sprouts (the star of the night)
    Beer can chicken
    Crab Cakes
    Coconut bacon banana creme pie
    Churros with a chocolate dip with ice cream inside (REALLY awesome too)

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

a frame is solid

11. stevent

stevent Senior member

Bumping this thread for a good place for a young professional to live for two years or so in LA (21 years old will be 22 for the move, no commitments, good amount of money to spend but would like to keep rent at $1-$1.2k monthly or so, would be down to purchase a apartment/house/condo if price is reasonable and it has good upside (budget would depend on what I'm getting). Have a good amount of friends mostly by UCLA/USC so those areas may be an option. Working probably downtown area or within 20-30 minute drive.

Would want:
    Decently busy atmosphere near me (able to walk to get food, groceries, but will have a car as well)
    Good restaurants in area
    Good nightlife. Ideally a good mix of clubs / pubs / bars
    Decently safe, ok with a few issues
    Maybe a few galleries or something of the like

Any ideas? Figure housing market should improve a bit by 2014 to recoup broker fees and mortgage payments if I buy. Also could rent out after 2 years. Not planning on staying in LA but may if I like it enough.

12. gnu

gnu Senior member

Anyone know if there is anywhere in LA that carries Left Field stuff? I used to find it at this shop in Los Feliz called Atmosphere, but that closed at least a year ago.

For stevent, Los Feliz is a pretty walkable neighborhood. There are two grocery stores in walking distance (three trader joes within a 10 minute drive), some decent places to eat -- mostly good breakfast and a few good burger and taco stands, and its close to downtown and Hollywood (if you want to go to bars and clubs). You also have quick access to both the 5 and the 101 so getting around is pretty easy.

13. techstyles

techstyles Senior member

You should live downtown. There are a few apartment complexes near 1st or 2nd (Promenande Towers, and a couple on Grand) that are reasonably priced, nice if you have a sense of style and can make it cool, and have all the amenities you want - gym, pool, dry cleaning, concierge, etc. You will have a lot more fun in LA if you get home from your job in under 15 minutes. Everyone will be complaining about traffic and you will have just finished your workout and be ready to go out for the night.

14. techstyles

techstyles Senior member

Hey mr foodguy, you have a handle on chowhound?

15. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Senior member

copped some Baldwin Denim the Henly cut in dark for $150 at the Steven Alan Outpost.