The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. jet

jet Persian Bro

If a bunch of us on here said mbp was good prior to you going you probably would have said you hated it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

2. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

yeah, probably would have found it shallow and pedantic.

3. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Where can I find out when sample sales will be in the LA area?

4. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

[​IMG]

Brent's Deli in Northridge for their Black Pastrami Rueben. really good, nice service, lots of people waiting (about 20 minutes). I think I like Langer's pastrami better but this was really good.

5. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I need to get to Langer's soon. It's been a few months and I'm starting to jones.

6. ysb

ysb Senior member

Couple of places I hit up this week:

Freddy Smalls Bar and Kitchen on Pico in West LA. I believe the owner's the same as The Counter
    small plates American food with little twists.
    For example, they serve a chicken parm that seems to be made of braised pulled dark chicken that's formed into a large croquette and then served with marinara and cheese on top.
    also had a fried brussel sprouts dish, a sampler of their house charcuterie, braised lamb with gnocchi, and for dessert a waffle with grilled apples, bourbon syrup I believe, and bacon butter.
    Everything is priced slightly higher than I would have liked (the gnocchi dish was pretty small and $18), and a lot of their dishes had a noticeable sweet element to them.
    Would absolutely return for the waffle, and probably only that.

Also tried Hollywood Pies tonight too. Tried their spinach, a pepperoni, and their traditional Chicago sausage pizza. The sausage pizza was solid. If you've read about this place for pickup they don't have a storefront, you call them when you're there (after you've phoned in your order) and then they bring out the pizza to your car. I heard the last location was shady, but this one was okay. I think the owner brought us our pies. He mentioned that he's working on opening up a kitchen in West LA and will serve delivery to the whole west side. If you're into Chicago style pizza, it's pretty legit. He said that 70% of his customers are Chicago transplants. it's nice to have the option in the area, although I don't crave Chicago style all of the time.

7. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

Any in LA who would possibly be interested in helping start in online clothing boutique, send me a PM.

8. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

Anyone know when the Fred Segal santa monica sale starts?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

9. JChance

JChance Senior member

Presale starts Thurs night, actual sale starts Friday at 50% off at both locations

10. JChance

JChance Senior member

11. rosenkruez

rosenkruez Senior member

how late is "night"?

12. JChance

JChance Senior member

I think they normally close at 7pm in santa monica location, so before 7? You can call for more info.

Anyhow, any idea for good Valentine restaurant in LA/santa monica/venice area or even torrance area? I personally like the Lobster in Santa Monica, but would like to hear some ideas. Thanks!

13. rosenkruez

rosenkruez Senior member

If you like wine and seasonal food, Vinoteque on Melrose is one of the best restaurants I've ever been. Great ambiance and they know how to pair wine with food, unlike most of expensive restaurants which don't know a thing about pairing. Plus, it's not that expensive, a lot cheaper than lobster or other "luxurious" restaurants. (Although if I want a lobster, I'd go to the lobster in Santa Monica in a heartbeat.)

14. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

Quick question. I just bought a place in Studio city, a block south of ventura boulevard. Has anyone lived in this part of LA? What have your experiences been in or around that area?

15. JChance

JChance Senior member

Went to Nana San in OC today, good little place, definitely recommend it for some fresh sushi