• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit up Manhattan Beach Post tonight. It was really awesome.

Maple Bacon Buttermilk Biscuit, Braised short ribs and the charred brussel sprouts were the highlights. it was all good stuff though. Definitely going to hit it up frequently.

also had some green beens, skirt steak, braised lamb, diver scallops, vietnamese style braised pork jowl.

Last edited:

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasteland isn't bad. Haven't been to Decades but I hear that's good as well (rec by labelking).

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Son of a Gun is open for lunch now! Fried chicken sandwich + shrimp toast sounds like an awesome lunch.

Xhale12

Reaction score
Speaking of burgers, the foie gras burger at the beverly wilshire hotel is fantastic. Expensive as hell though.

Eating at Melisse tonight. Looking forward to it. My expectations are very high.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, I notice some foodies get all prissy and mad when other people call out their gastronomical affectations....

of course, bragging about one's lack of gastronomical affectations is a gastronomical affectation, too.

I usually go to the Gumbo Pot. Its not bad, not great...but fulfills a need...love the collard greens and gumbo usually. Loteria sometimes and other times the crepe place and get a savory crepe.

love gumbo pot. oyster po'boy! and the ice cream place around the corner ... their limeade is the perfect drink to go with it. and please, let us not forget BOB'S DONUTS. when they're fresh, possibly the best doughnuts i've ever had. not the fanciest, but the most delicious

The Butcher at the Farmers Market has some quality meats too.

there are several butchers at the farmers market. i really like puritan poultry for ... well, poultry, and Huntington Meats for other meats.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone been to Picca yet and have a review? Looking to go there in a few weeks.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Wasteland isn't bad. Haven't been to Decades but I hear that's good as well (rec by labelking).

My best friend has worked at Decades forever - he's the owner's right hand man upstairs (where the collectible vintage couture stuff is). There's virtually nothing there for men (sometimes there's a few things downstairs). It might be worth a visit to see the pretty girls that work and shop there, if you like that kind of thing.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I usually go to the Gumbo Pot. Its not bad, not great...but fulfills a need...love the collard greens and gumbo usually. Loteria sometimes and other times the crepe place and get a savory crepe.

Good lord Gumbo Pot absolutely sucks. I've given it between 6-10 tries (I can't help it, I have to keep trying) and if it's not one thing, it's another. The Oyster po-boy tasted *rancid* and *greasy* the last time I tried one and the bread was horrible*, the gumbo is a solid MEH, and they just seem to lack.. flavor and/or consistency. The beignets were cooked in too hot of oil leaving an almost burned exterior and a too-soft interior.

******* disappointing. I have no idea how they stay in business except for southern exiles like me who keep hoping that "this time, maybe it'll be better" or folks who just dont' know what real southern food is supposed to taste like. :(

love gumbo pot. oyster po'boy! and the ice cream place around the corner ... their limeade is the perfect drink to go with it. and please, let us not forget BOB'S DONUTS. when they're fresh, possibly the best doughnuts i've ever had. not the fanciest, but the most delicious

The sad thing is, Bob's does the beignet better than the Cajun place. Sacre bleu.

*and I was sick for the rest of the day. I'm loathe to try it again.

Last edited:

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to Uncle Darrows for Po Boys, but haven't been in a while though.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've found a lot of good stuff at Ozzie Dots, but it's been a few years since I did much thrifting.

Re: Gumbo Pot - I've never had a bad meal there. It used to be my go to Farmers' Market spot when I first came to LA.

aizan

Reaction score

Hit up Manhattan Beach Post tonight. It was really awesome.

+1. rare exception to the "avoid restaurants near bodies of water" rule.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to Khun Dom thai and it was quite good, thanks for the rec polyrock.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit up Sunny Spot in Venice (formerly beechwood, Roy Choi took over the kitchen) tonight. I didn't think I'd like the decor but it was actually pretty cool and bohemian with a chill westside crowd. The food was spicy beach-style thai/carribean/etc type food, which was a little weird eating on a brisk LA night in Venice (seemed like something you would be eating out on the sand in a tropical island or in miami beach)...but it was good, not great. it was kind of incongruous. In those environments, in hot and humid weather, it would have rocked....but on a cool La night, it was kind of average.

My favorite of the night was the cubano torta, which had a bunch of shredded pork with other porks in it. calamari thai style (coconut, chilis, etc) was also very good....the diablo shrimp was kind of a miss...stewed goat was good, came with some cabbage to make into a taco type thing and pickled mangos (not a fan of pickled mangos though)..i ended up taking it home as we kind of over ordered...the food is all pretty spicy, definitely different from A-frame (which I do prefer foodwise).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads