The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

I feel like Abbot Kinney or 3rd/Beverly/Melrose is the exact type of crowd for Monocle, but what the fuck do I know. Store was cool, too bad it didn;t last. Not even sure it's the kind of "brand" that needs a store...?

2. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

I'm curious, what type of crowd is that over there?
    (honest question)

3. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

I haven't gone to Union Made yet. I love the SF store, and have been meaning to make it there. The Brentwood Country Mart is kind of a weird little spot. I really like the vibe of it, but you really have to set the intention to go there, unless you live in Brentwood or Santa Monica.

I've gone into Monocle there. Never found anything that I really needed but liked the concept. I won't miss it per se, but I did think it was cool that Monocle and Union Made were both in there.

I think La Brea, 3rd Street, La Cienega or Abbot Kinney would be a better spot for either of the aforementioned.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

4. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I kind of work in the area so its convenient. I like to buy my issues there and check out the newest stuff they get in. Usually I go to the sweet rose creamery, unionmade and the monocle store once a month or so..sometimes eat at Farm Shop. not a fan of the little restaurants within the mart itself though.

The Diesel bookstore is nice too.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

5. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

wealthy hipsters.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

Abbott kinney would be a terrible spot for monocle, better suited to beverly or 3rd.

7. ThomSquared

ThomSquared Senior member

Yeah I wouldn't put Monocle on a hip new trendy street by the beach who's skeletons in the closet are about a mile away at a homeless shelter pick up and drop off point... Doesn't seem right.

8. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I think abbott kinney is the type of street that a monocle article would focus on in some way. to me, the street is very in line with the whole "vibe" of the magazine. local neighborhood, small focus on the community, etc. and I would imagine the type of people who hang out there would be more in line with monocle's viewpoint on affairs, design, etc. much of the magazine is geared towards a small-midtown european eutopia. the only north american cities to make their "most livable cities" were portland, seattle, vancouver and honolulu....not super brand conscious cities, but more liberal and crunchy type of scenes.

it would be a bit more upscale than most of the other stores on the street though.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

9. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Basically....

10. willpower

willpower Senior member

Yeah, sort of. Not the boho plaidsters found in Silverlake. Lots of stores went under in this recession so the areas (Melrose in particular) don't get the same amount of walking traffic that they once did.

But a few places have been there for 25 years (American Rag on La Brea).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

Finally had some laurel tavern and the food was good, selection of beers all local craft style. Chorizo sliders and pork belly skewers were official, steak fries aight kinda flavorless. Paired with allagash and then later got some lagavulin neat, cheapest and non-stingiest pour I ever had at 15 bucks.

12. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I feel like I'm the only one unimpressed with Laurel. Always thought the beers were ok, same with the food. Didn't see the hype when it felt like any other place around West Hollywood, but I guess people would rather wait in line outside than drive over the hill.

There are a couple of places a block or two down from there that are in the same WeHo boat. Meh. Food at Lala's is decent, though.

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

It's excellent for what it is, a pub and there ain't many places in the valley for decent grub for cheap.

14. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Jet, daddy's coming home tomorrow. You got the cigars, I got the time.

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

Broooo flying out to vegas tomorrow at noon.