• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Taste of the Nation on Sunday- yay or nay? http://tasteofthenationla.org/ I've been to some of these events and its just a lot of waiting in line for a small bite.
I avoid stuff like this like the plague. Great concept, always poorly executed. It's a business so they have to fill it up as best they can and screw everyone over. But if you're feeling lucky...
Originally Posted by kiya
Going to The Bazaar tomorrow night... is it all hype? Looks overpriced, and i rarely use that word for anything.
Last time I went was for drinks and a bite. A "bite" would be putting it lightly. At least the drinks were free since my friend and I were confused for being part of the Harvard alum donor party... Maybe it's just me, but pretentious LA **** like this ain't worth my time. I couldn't help but think of LA Story the entire time I was there.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srgprod
Had THE best cookie I ever had at the Farm Shop, Brentwood.

Oatmeal, cranberry and walnuts. So perfect! It took me about 20 minutes to eat it. I didn't want it to end. Each flavor melding into each other over and over again. One of the most amazing experiences.

A must try.

had lunch there, forgot what I saw on this thread...next time. Lobster roll there was very good today. Got a few baked goods, excited to try out the buttermilk biscuit this weekend with some goat cheese butter I bought the other night.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Anyone been to the Farm of Bev Hills? My friend had dinner at LA Live location after E3 and said it was surprisingly good for a chain. Menu looked interesting (Lobster club sandwich, stuffed french toast, burgers on Kings Hawaiian rolls, etc.) and surprisingly reasonable.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Anyone been to the Farm of Bev Hills? My friend had dinner at LA Live location after E3 and said it was surprisingly good for a chain. Menu looked interesting (Lobster club sandwich, stuffed french toast, burgers on Kings Hawaiian rolls, etc.) and surprisingly reasonable.

I like the one on Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills OK.

Avoid the one at the Grove.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone been to animal yet? going tomorrow.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doing that soon, tell me what you think is tasty.

Reaction score
Animal is indeed tasty ( foie gras, pig ears, pork belly sandwiches). I just looked over the menu and it hasn't changed much since I've last gone (about a year ago).

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
anyone been to animal yet? going tomorrow.
I went for dinner last weekend and loved it. We got maybe 6 things, and the standouts for me were the foie gras biscuit and crispy pig's head. The maple sausage gravy was so damn tasty, and actually pretty much all the sauces were winners. Loved the simple salads that came with the dishes. I was already full by the time the BBQ pork belly sandwiches and balsamic pork ribs were served at the end, but between the two I liked the sandwich much better. They were out of the oxtail poutine when we went, so I've gotta try that the next time I go.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Animal...anyone go to Rosewood Tavern yet (across the street)? Drink selection is good, burger is meh. Good, but nothing spectacular.

ysb

Reaction score
All this restaurant talk makes me SO happy that i'm going to be moving back to LA after 4 years in Boston. I left Boston the first time because of winter, but had to move back due to wife and job, but after this past years hellish winter im syched to be coming back. Have to read this through this thread and catch upp with all the new restaurants. I know this isnt the thread for it but if anyone can give recs on where to live that would be great. Last time i lived in LA i started in the melrose and fairfax area then moved west to SM, then ended u in the valley. Would need easy airport access and not crazy rent. Looking for a 2 bedroom under 2000/mo. PM me if you have suggestions. Thanks! Also to keep it on topic, is ruen pair in thaitown sstill good? At the time i left (2007) jitlada was the hot thai spot. Is that place still good?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Yeah, go back a few pages and we talked a bit about Jitlada. I think Ruen's still good but when I'm at that plaza I always go to Red Corner.

I don't know what "easy" airport access means. 15 min? Under an hour? Venice, the South Bay, Culver, etc.

And Boston's not that bad. They have Ana's Taqueria... right?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Playa del Rey and love it. Its really close to the airports and the freeways (105, 90, etc), its pretty quiet (aside from the airplanes), the people are nice and relaxed and its pretty easy to get to venice, SM, culver city and the south bay.

But if you can live in Venice/Santa Monica walking distance to Main Street or Abbott Kinney, that might be better if you can find a place in your price point, might be hard though.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone hitting up the Dwell on Design at the convention center next weekend? Is it super crowded and a waste of time or interesting and filled with hawt wimmens?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads