• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
No pics, yesterday went to gjelina and red medicine.

Gjelina-
Charred Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Dates & Vinegar
Grilled Radicchio with Olive Oil, Balsamic & Sea Salt
margherita and Squash Blossom & Zucchini with Confit Tomato, Burrata & Garlic Oil pizzas
Grilled Peruvian Octopus w/White Beans, Kumquat, Arugula & Smoked Paprika
Stuffed Eggplant with Ricotta, Nettles, Tomato Sauce & Breadcrumb
Gnocchi Pomodoro with Sea Salt & Green Olive Oil
Crispy Niman Ranch Pork Belly with Soft Polenta, Bitter Greens & Apple Cider
Seared Niman Ranch Flatiron Steak w/ Shitake Mushroom, Escarole & Smoked Tomato Butter

dessert
gelato (one scoop each espresso, olive oil, and ferrer rocher or some ****)
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Crème FraÃ
00ae.png
che & Hazelnut

Red Medicine we had the late night menu since it was 1am
sweet potato (dried chili, tumeric, beer batter, baby shrimp, lettuce)
banh mi - pate spread, pork belly, carrot pickle, coriander, green chili, cucumber

Was a good day.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How was red medicine? I haven't been back to la since it opened.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It was coo, late night menu so very limited you can see it on the site.

Kelvin can compare better than I can.

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Most likely I'll be in LA around mid may. You need to give me a food tour!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
fosho my man

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that everyone who thinks Bottega Louie is good is full of ******* ****. The Portabello Fries? Bland. The Calimari? Boring. The bruschetta? Over-priced, bland, and unexciting. The Pizzas? All 3 I tried were absolutely horrible. Horrible as in "Would you like a to-go box for this?" "**** no, I'd like my money and 3 hours back."

Skip it and find a nice taco stand. Save your money and your time.

The dessert was good, though.

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Just wanted to say that everyone who thinks Bottega Louie is good is full of ******* ****. The Portabello Fries? Bland. The Calimari? Boring. The bruschetta? Over-priced, bland, and unexciting. The Pizzas? All 3 I tried were absolutely horrible. Horrible as in "Would you like a to-go box for this?" "**** no, I'd like my money and 3 hours back."

Skip it and find a nice taco stand. Save your money and your time.

The dessert was good, though.

Although a tad harsh I would definitely label Bottega Louie as one of the more overrated spots in LA. Pretty mediocre food, I guess it's the environment that alot of people like, which I don't understand either.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityHunter
Any word on Son of a Gun on 3rd St.? I heard is it helmed by the guys from Animal...their more seafood-centric venture. Thinking of heading there to give it a whirl...
A friend has reservations tonight. I'm actually surprised that the prices are somewhat reasonable given the area. I'll report back.
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Just wanted to say that everyone who thinks Bottega Louie is good is full of ******* ****. The Portabello Fries? Bland. The Calimari? Boring. The bruschetta? Over-priced, bland, and unexciting. The Pizzas? All 3 I tried were absolutely horrible. Horrible as in "Would you like a to-go box for this?" "**** no, I'd like my money and 3 hours back." Skip it and find a nice taco stand. Save your money and your time. The dessert was good, though.
Then that makes quite a few of us on here that are full of ****. Actually, I don't think anyone here has really hyped BL as the be-all downtown spot. Personally, I was warned and have warned others to stick to specific items on the menu, ie, the meatballs and pizza. But "horrible" pizza? Agree to disagree, I guess, but I haven't heard that from other foodie friends I've taken or have otherwise eaten there several times. Not saying you're lying, but I am implying that you could be slightly exaggerating or had a fluke meal. Coincidentally, I thought the souffle was ok. Since I haven't been in town in a while I'm almost tempted to post pics of places I hit down here. It's been a good couple of months.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sexandcandy
and dark chocolate bread pudding from larchmont bungalow on beverly

i wanna try the red velvet pancakes
drool.gif

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Gjelina-
Charred Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Dates & Vinegar

Best I've ever had. you didn;t get the fries?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Would have preferred them to be a bit softer they were too hard but good. The radicchio was good, need to try all the others like the cauliflower and pizza with i forget what and truffle oil.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went to bar centro @ the Baazar for happy hour/tapas.

had a maker's manhattan with a spherical cherry

chicken croquettes
toasted bread with manchego and tomato
steamed uni bun (great combo of flavors)
foie gras w/ cotton candy (awesome)

then went to A-frame in culver city for dinner

furirake popcorn
ribs
beer can chicken
chicken wings

all good. more homey at A-frame...gotta do a sit down dinner at the bazaar.

ThomSquared

Reaction score
I wasn't a huge fan of A-Frame, I felt like I could have gone to Trader Joe's and done some fat bar food shopping and made it at home in less than an hour with a beer in front of my tv. Wasn't there an ihop or a Denny's on that property years ago?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah. used to be an ihop. I wasn't blown away with it like I was with Chego...the beer can chicken was great though....crispy skin, and the chicken was moist.

I thought it was more elevated bar food than anything. Everything is a bit on the salty side, but that is probably due to some of the hawaiian influences on the food.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
not really pertaining to clothes but it still relates to shopping in LA

anybody know where i can buy some shepheard's hotel cigarettes? i'm guessing there must be a store or two in the area that sells imported cigs. they're from germany.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads