• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Niche Colognes in WEHO/Hollywood/Mid City Apothia at Fred Segal Melrose. 8118 Melrose Avenue - A few Creeds, L'Artisan, C&S Santa Maria Novella 8411 Melrose Place near La Cienega - Amazing classic Italian scents. The Scent Bar 8327 Beverly Blvd near the Bev Ctr - Bring a lot of $ because you'll want to buy everything. This is prolly the best niche spot in the US selection-wise. Le Labo 3rd St and Orlando near the Bev Ctr - Some amazing (and expensive) scents. Gendarmerie 9069 Nemo St Behind the Troubador - The entire Gendarme line of fragrances and a great spa.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
Fried chicken -- Furaibo in Gardena (I think the one in LA closed?)

I think the Koreans get the win when it comes to Asian chicken wings. I used to be a fan of Furaibo until I started eating Kyochon (still haven't made it to Bon chon). Now Furaibo tastes like pepper and Kyochon tastes like awesome.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wu Dynasty
Just don't go to The Standard. That place is douchey as ****.

This made me laugh. Made the mistake of staying there one time.

Great recommendations here, but not being from LA I would like to see some hotel recommendations. Any suggestions?

Restaurants wise, how about suggestions for nice restaurants for taking a wife to dinner? I am always looking for bistros with great wine lists. My usual places have been Koi, Nobu, and Katana (all Asian fusion) which are not bistros, but the only good places that have not let me down. Some of the places mentioned already may be in the ball park, but please mention it for the non-LA guys.

Thank you for the great thread and suggestions. Keep it going! There should be a thread like this for every major city. NYC crowd should get one started as well!

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Atsui
This made me laugh. Made the mistake of staying there one time.

Great recommendations here, but not being from LA I would like to see some hotel recommendations. Any suggestions?

Restaurants wise, how about suggestions for nice restaurants for taking a wife to dinner? I am always looking for bistros with great wine lists. My usual places have been Koi, Nobu, and Katana (all Asian fusion) which are not bistros, but the only good places that have not let me down. Some of the places mentioned already may be in the ball park, but please mention it for the non-LA guys.

Thank you for the great thread and suggestions. Keep it going! There should be a thread like this for every major city. NYC crowd should get one started as well!

Hotels

Huntley Santa Monica
Shutters on the Beach
The Peninsula
Four Seasons Beverly Hills
Fairmont Santa Monica
W Westwood

As far as a Bistro, how about Tavern in Brentwood.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Nickel Diner in downtown, near Coles

the BEST BEST macaroni and cheese I've ever had. Has a nice kick to it and isnt the soupy kind of mac n cheese but a thick fork eating consistency. They are known for their bacon bits donut which is really good, but I prefer their red velvet donut.

Don't forget their home made pop tarts! Nickel Diner is amazing.

Pizza: Tomato Pie (On Melrose and Faifax, and in Silver Lake)
Ice Cream: Scoops (sure, it is overrun by hipsters. But damn, do they make some wierd/awesome flavors. On Heliothrope next to LACC)
Ramen: Shin Sen Gumi (Rosemead, on Valley)
Yakitori: Shin Sen Gumi (Monterey Park, on Atlantic)
Chinese: Chi Dynasty (on Hillhurst in Los Feliz)
Hainan Chicken: Savoy Kitchen (on Valley)

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fish Tacos:
El 7 Mares ($1 Tuesday) in Silverlake
Tacos Baja Ensenada ($1 Wednesday) in East Los Angeles

Korean BBQ: In addition to Soot, theres a place in Ktown called Odaesan thats $10 all you can eat... and passable.

Deserts:
Milk- sandwichs are decent too, it's right on the border between La Brea and West Hollywood on Beverly.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityHunter
Don't forget their home made pop tarts! Nickel Diner is amazing. Pizza: Tomato Pie (On Melrose and Faifax, and in Silver Lake)
really? i've gone to tomato pie twice and both times the pizza was soggy and awful. it's a shame too since the silverlake one is just a few blocks from me. scoops is fun but kind of a let down. "chocolate bacon" was just chocolate and "pabst blue ribbon strawberry" was just strawberry. also, it isn't overrun by hipsters, it's overrun by CYCLISTS, and cyclists in LA are some of the city's worst. agree with you on chi dynasty. i really like their soup.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Oinksters on Colorado.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
I think the Koreans get the win when it comes to Asian chicken wings. I used to be a fan of Furaibo until I started eating Kyochon (still haven't made it to Bon chon). Now Furaibo tastes like pepper and Kyochon tastes like awesome.
*Nodding* Forgot to mention Tsuruhashi for Japanese BBQ, but that's actually in Fountain Valley.

aizan

Reaction score
oinkster's pastrami doesn't hold a candle to the better delis in town.

tomato pie got #7 on gq's list of top 25 pizzerias in america, so it has some fans. i recommend antica, larocco's, pavich's, vito's, joe's, and garage (what they say about elmer is true).

eh.gif

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
really? i've gone to tomato pie twice and both times the pizza was soggy and awful. it's a shame too since the silverlake one is just a few blocks from me.

scoops is fun but kind of a let down. "chocolate bacon" was just chocolate and "pabst blue ribbon strawberry" was just strawberry. also, it isn't overrun by hipsters, it's overrun by CYCLISTS, and cyclists in LA are some of the city's worst.

Gah...sucks to hear about your experience with Tomato Pie...everytime I've been there they've been spot-on.
And thank you for correcting me about Scoops' clientele...the majority ARE cyclists, although you couldn't tell by they way they dressed.

Dive bar: Gold Room in Echo Park (on Sunset).
$4 = a pint of house beer and a shot of bottom-shelf tequila. Free tacos. Get fucked up and save some money!

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've updated the OP list a bit, gonna keep me busy for months!

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steven Alan in Santa Monica Craft LA American Rag on La Brea Hollywood Trading Co. Douglas Fir Rising Sun in Pasadena As for food: Larkin's in Eagle Rock Blue Hen Vietnamese in Eagle Rock Good Girl Dinette in Highland Park *****'s in Eagle Rock Original Saladang (I prefer over Saladang Song) Don't know much food on the west side.

Last edited:

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
i love daikokiuya

My friends and I always debate about Shinshengumi vs Daikokuya... I'm more of a Shensengumi fan.

Originally Posted by jet
bld
aoc
axe
gjelina
comme ca
lucky boy (breakfast burrito)
mori sushi
asanebo
joes pizza
osteria mozza
outdoor grill for tritip sandwiches w/mac n cheese
bandera west la
gulfstream century city

all jet approved

Used to start off the day with a whole Lucky Boys breakfast burrito...don't think I could do it anymore.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^i never could finish them and i get them with bacon and sausage plus tons of their sauce but this is late at night if we happen to be at dbag central aka old town on my way back home

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads