The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

GS is legit. You read it here first.

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

In depth review by yours truly.

Very good balance of flavors and I generally dislike the use of out of the ordinary greens like arugula but I didn't mind on this and quite enjoyed it. Not one ingredient was overpowering but each one contributed to the overall flavor. I was worried about the bun detracting from the experience but it really didn't. I usually don't like arugula type burgers because of the bbq like sweetness that caramelized onions (ie father's office) add but gs doesn't use that, instead the aioli was the perfect substitute. The meat quality was excellent as was the cheese and the bacon for that matter. I also don't like huge burgers you can't fit into your mouth or ones that are real heavy, the burger wasn't anything like this at all.

Next time I'll have it there, it should be better hot obviously. I had it cooked medium rare and it was more rare than I usually have but I don't mind. Fries were pretty good, needed a touch more salt but good flavor and very lightly browned which is how I prefer my fries.

I hereby proclaim golden state official.

3. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

GS is legit. You read it here first.

When is man date night?

4. whodini

We're thinking next week. Kelv sounds like he wants to join, I'll see what the lobster's up to.

5. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

+1 for Golden State.
    In depth review by yours truly.

Very good balance of flavors and I generally dislike the use of out of the ordinary greens like arugula but I didn't mind on this and quite enjoyed it. Not one ingredient was overpowering but each one contributed to the overall flavor. I was worried about the bun detracting from the experience but it really didn't. I usually don't like arugula type burgers because of the bbq like sweetness that caramelized onions (ie father's office) add but gs doesn't use that, instead the aioli was the perfect substitute. The meat quality was excellent as was the cheese and the bacon for that matter. I also don't like huge burgers you can't fit into your mouth or ones that are real heavy, the burger wasn't anything like this at all.

Next time I'll have it there, it should be better hot obviously. I had it cooked medium rare and it was more rare than I usually have but I don't mind. Fries were pretty good, needed a touch more salt but good flavor and very lightly browned which is how I prefer my fries.

I hereby proclaim golden state official.

6. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

We're thinking next week. Kelv sounds like he wants to join, I'll see what the lobster's up to.

Sounds good. I have no work from xmas eve to new years so I'm good for whatever.

7. whodini

I'm getting damn hungry, I'll tell you that much.

8. danilo

danilo Senior member

can't wait to try some of these places out, going to be in LA for the next 3 weeks

any events I should check out while I'm here?

9. whodini

Events? Nothing really happens around here this time of year.

10. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Just got back from Pasadena...tried to grab lunch at Luggage Car Pizzaria on Get Smart's recommendation. Unfortunately it was closed during lunch on weekdays (shitballs!) so we found Avanti Cafe on Lake and got the Glazed Apple Pizza. Pretty solid! Even though I was in the mood for something savory. Meh. I wonder if the other pizzas there are good...

In shopping news did anybody get a chance to check out Feal Mor and General Quarters on La Brea? The just opened this past week...

11. whodini

Get Smart likes Avanti but of the two or three times that I ate there it always felt like a stationary change away from being CPK. I still waiting for GS to clear his social calendar, or rather to stop canceling on me, to go to Luggage. The only other decent pie in the area is maybe The Kitchen.

12. Biff

Biff Senior member

Get Smart likes Avanti but of the two or three times that I ate there it always felt like a stationary change away from being CPK. I still waiting for GS to clear his social calendar, or rather to stop canceling on me, to go to Luggage. The only other decent pie in the area is maybe The Kitchen.

Used to frequent Avanti as I work down the street from there... Stopped going b/cI found the service to be terrible...

13. whodini

With Love Birds, nothing else in that area is even remotely on my radar.

14. Biff

Biff Senior member

With Love Birds, nothing else in that area is even remotely on my radar.

You could try Green Street Cafe or even Mediterranean cafe... pretty decent food...

15. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

Just got back from Pasadena...tried to grab lunch at Luggage Car Pizzaria on Get Smart's recommendation. Unfortunately it was closed during lunch on weekdays (shitballs!) so we found Avanti Cafe on Lake and got the Glazed Apple Pizza. Pretty solid! Even though I was in the mood for something savory. Meh. I wonder if the other pizzas there are good...

In shopping news did anybody get a chance to check out Feal Mor and General Quarters on La Brea? The just opened this past week...

What is General Quarters?