Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Went to the Maple Block Meat Company (on Sepulveda near Washington in Culver City) for lunch yesterday. Had a Maple Block Chopped Salad and a corn muffin.

IMG_0583 2.JPG

It was very good. The smoked turkey tasted the way smoked turkey is supposed to taste.

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

Ended up going to belcampo in santa monica the other night. My drink was terrible and overpriced (spicy old fashioned for 16, their signature drink lol), salad good, tartare bland, lamb burger not that good, fries abysmal, steak frites average at best. We left there with a $139 bill for two, needless to say I felt ripped off and won't ever be back. No idea how that place is still in business.

3. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

4. PootyTang

PootyTang Active Member

Who does everyone use for denim repair and shoe repair in echo park and silverlake? I'm sorta new to the area. I've been going to foxhole on sunset for my denim but she is hard to coordinate with sometimes and she's pricey. Anyone else have recommendations?

5. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Re: justridiculous.

I may be stating the obvious, but Sushi Q and Sushi Zo DT are both stellar. I got a zen vibe from Sushi Q, which grew on me later. I think they had some more interesting dishes, in addition to the sushi omakase, such as a milt starter and akimo, or monkfish liever, IIRC. The plating is very artsy, too.

Sushi Zo is just out of this world in terms of taste. I'm a sucker for variety, so you'll taste a broad range of fishes in those little bite-size morsels, and the ponzo sauce is prevalent but seems to work well with the flavor array. They do the warm rice thing that Sasabune popularized, but it's not mountains of rice.

6. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had one pair of jeans repaired at Foxhole, and she did a comically bad job. I think I posted about it before but it was really insanely incompetent, and my girlfriend had some work done at the same time that was equally bad. She was super nice, and so was the cute girl that works there, but she ruined my jeans. Luckily they weren't anything special - thrift store 501's that I was having her taper.

It's worth it to go a little farther west, either to Denim Revival, or Shaeffer's Garment Hotel. They're both total pros and know a lot about high end denim. I think Shaeffers has been a little easier to deal with but both are very good.

7. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

I've had an iffy experience with Shaeffer's. Zip Stevenson opened a (new?) shop on Adams that has mixed reviews. But I wholeheartedly recommend Railcar. Their work is flawless and they have the best prices. Only downside? They are in freakin' Monrovia. Hey, make a day trip out of it and get some quality Chinese food in SGV

8. jlchau

jlchau Senior member

I got some jeans hemmed and tapered at Railcar. Great crew there. Driving there was a nightmare (even on a weekend) so I had them ship the jeans back to me. Next time I use them I'm just going to use mail service.

9. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Zip's place on Adam's is gone now. He had a new place on 3rd but he had some problems - I had some jeans there a year ago and it took about 3 or 4 months to get them back. There were a lot of complaints on Yelp, and Zip posted his cell number there offering to personally help out if people were having issues getting their jeans back. I spoke with him then, and he told me he'd lost all of his workers and that he was backed up well past 6 months. I was luck to get my stuff back, but I also thought it was a good sign that he posted his personal number and was taking calls and taking responsibility. Since then I've used both Schaeffers and Denim Revival, and both did very good work.

Railcar sounds interesting - I actually drive out that way pretty often on my way to the desert so it wouldn't be that hard for me to go by there sometime.

10. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Make the trip to Railcar. Trust me.

11. 1969

1969 Senior member

This was started and has been held in Austin for about 10 years. Ned Elliot moved it to LA this year. Recommend.

http://indiechefsweek.com/

12. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Any recommendations on where to take items for consignment? I have some Margiela, Yohji, and CdG jackets I want to get rid of, but I'm way too lazy to put them online myself, and I want more than if I just dropped them off at Wasteland.
    I was looking at either Decades or Gift of Garb in Silverlake. Any experience with either? Who would be better to sell to? They are both primarily woman-focused but they both said they take select men's.

I know there is Consignmen, but for some reason they left a bad taste in my mouth last time I visited. I asked if they would sell items from Junya Watanabe and Alexandre Plokhov and they responded with "Probably not. Who are they?" (granted, Plokhov isn't as well-know but c'mon...Junya...)