• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. All the big dogs have been in the game long enough to make their pastrami sandwich come out the same every time. It's bread and brined meat... not rocket science.

FWIW, I've done curbside pickup at Langer's before and ate my sandwich sitting on the sidewalk. It tasted pretty much the same as eating inside (not the pickles though). IMO, it is better than Canter's, but Katz's is on a completely different level.

Perhaps there's some debate between Langer's and Stage/2nd ave/Carnegie? I thought they were all pretty decent.

EDIT: I guess take all that with a grain of salt... you're arguing with a guy who rated a cock cone higher than your precious pastrami palace.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im new to LA, but had dinner at 'Ivy on the shore' the other evening, in Santa Monica and highly recommend it! The grilled vegetable salad with lime chicken is amazing. Cool atmosphere and nice patio..

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
LOL. &quot;Big dogs.&quot; I mean, apples and oranges. Katz isn't on some other level as, like you said, it's bread and brined meat. There's a difference in how both sandwiches are prepared (hand cut vs machine, rye vs. double-baked rye, seasoning, etc.) but I've never seen it as one being better than the other, it's more about what you come to expect from your sandwich.

And it's funny that you phrase it like I'm picking one place over another. FWIW, I grew up in LA but didn't try Langer's until years after having gone to Katz repeatedly. Of the people I've met who've gone to both, you're the only person to suggest that there's a frank margin between the two. So, about that bit about getting a pastrami guage recalibrated....

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini

Speaking of which, for you Paradis doubters/rookies, tomorrow is their anniversary. Free ice cream from 12-4pm. Tell them "hvordan går det" for me.

Oooof the strawberry is so good.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
I still need to try Langer's, but it's hard for me to believe day-old Katz's pastrami would beat it. Once Katz's goes cold and loses its juice it's really not that good. Then again, when it's hot and moist, it's easily the best I've had in the city. I don't think Second Ave. is even in the same league.

acarlton

Reaction score
Hey guys, going to visit my grandfather in Redondo Beach this weekend. Any places shopping/food that I should hit up in that area? Obviously this thread is full of places that are recommended in the greater LA area, but I'm not sure which are near Redondo Beach (w/o google-mapping every place).

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acarlton
Hey guys, going to visit my grandfather in Redondo Beach this weekend. Any places shopping/food that I should hit up in that area? Obviously this thread is full of places that are recommended in the greater LA area, but I'm not sure which are near Redondo Beach (w/o google-mapping every place).

None, are anywhere near close :/ There is definitely no shopping.

There is some pretty good food in the South Bay, just nothing from this thread.

There's a lot of good Japanese places in Gardena, depending on what you're after.
Al Watan and Al Noor are great for Pakistani food.
Chicken Maison is Mediterranean and is one of my favorite lunch spots, the spicy garlic chicken is amazing.
There's a good number of Peruvian spots (El Pollo Inka, Kotosh, El Rocoto)

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just picked up a really sweet tweed blazer that is a tad too big and needs some minor adjusting, particularly in the sleeves, being that I have had some pretty traumatic experiences with tailors in the past, can anybody recommend a good tailor in the West LA/Beverly Hills area? I want to get something tailored right for once. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Wilshire tailor, see paul.

Morgan

Reaction score
Seconding Wilshire Tailor (on Wilshire @ Crescent Heights). I have a great unstructured khaki sport coat that had extremely long sleeves, but for a long time I was afraid to get it tailored because it has working buttons at the cuffs. Paul took it in at the shoulder and now it's perfect.

edit: disregard "angry" icon, no idea what it's doing there and can't seem to remove it

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Wilshire tailor, see paul.

Good for taking suites in too?

p.s. Brents Deli for Pastami. Sur ethe location is a fvcking hell hole, but there's a reason brents is always one of the highest rated resutrants in LA

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could update the main post.

What is there to do around L.A. these days? In between eating, of course. Tired of shopping, a bit bored of lacma/getty.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've had Katz's about 50 times over the past 15 years, i've had Langer's once.
I thought Langer's was good but not nearly as good as Katz's. Katz's wins on the meat, Langer's wins on everything else they serve.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer
Good for taking suites in too?

p.s. Brents Deli for Pastami. Sur ethe location is a fvcking hell hole, but there's a reason brents is always one of the highest rated resutrants in LA

yes the guy is a master tailor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics