1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Just tried a Guisados chiles torreados taco (their hottest one) for the first time. While it wasn't so hot that I was weeping like some frat buffoon doing an inedible wings challenge, it was hot enough that I won't be repeating that experiment again

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've considered that one several times and I've always passed. Sounds like I have nothing to regret.

3. erictheobscure

Magpies was disappointing. Girlfriend got the honey yuzu (a little mild on the yuzu flavor), which was better than my strawberry rhubarb (mostly just acidic). We agreed that we both preferred something cheap like the cones at Chik-fil-A.

The only consolation was standing in line in front of a B list celebrity.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. erictheobscure

Yesterday, had a late lunch at Fishing with Dynamite. Had been there once before and enjoyed it, but this little meal was damn near perfect. Their tonnato and heirloom tomato toast (recent addition to the menu) might be the best thing I've eaten in a while.

Then later, spotted the Guerrilla Taco truck outside Silverlake Wine. Was initially a bit miffed about how expensive the tacos and how long the orders took. But then I realized that they're expletive-inducing good.

5. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Guerilla Tacos is absolutely amazing. I recommend it to all out-of-towners - shame there isn't a B&M location for consistency's sake. I'm never had a bad item there...except for this Armenian sausage - Sujuk. Not too much of a fan, but that was on me not liking the sausage's taste, not GT doing a bad job.

6. erictheobscure

:( :( :(

(I guess it's more or less true at this point.)

7. hobojones

hobojones Senior member

Hey guys, just started working in ktown about a week go lol.
    Any recs for lunch spots? (aside from straight up Korean)
    I've had belly & snout and beer belly so far. Both super filling though
    I also assume there may be a dearth of noteworthy places around here...

8. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Cassell's for burgers, on 6th St.

After work...EMC for happy hour? I'm not a oyster guy but my friends enjoyed it

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. jet

jet Senior member

yo seriously guys rec me some places downtown a guy could go to late at night that is palatable? tired of going to the west side to grub all the time

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think Baco Mercat and Bottega Louie are both open late-ish (by LA standards, anyway). I prefer the former to the latter, but folks love B-Louie and the food was fine the time or two I went.

11. jet

jet Senior member

Nah man meant some places I haven't been you should know that. Haven't been inside BL in ages but never liked the high ceilings and lack of intimacy. Place feels like a museum.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I agree about BL. Girls seem to like it, though. Must be the macarons.
    Can't help much, I pretty much never get downtown anymore other than around Staples/Grammy Museum/Nokia, and everything there is pretty obvious. I'm sure there's cool shit over in the Brewery district, but stuff downtown turns over all the time now and I don't know what's good.

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

Been sad ever since Rivera closed.

You been to Wolfskill yet?

14. jet

jet Senior member

sup dawg, nah legit?

15. whodini

whodini Senior member

Had the invite from a friend. On level with Providence without the upgrades but with more creativity.

I said wolfskill (a solid cocktail bar in the IE) but I meant wolfsmouth. Good luck emailing in for a seat. Byob if you go.

16. brooks23

brooks23 Senior member

Birdies has awesome fried chicken and is 24 hrs on the weekends. Pellicola is my favorite pizza downtown and they're open late. The Pantry is kinda ok in a nostalgic way. Stephanie's taco truck at 9th and Hill is almost always there til 2-3am and my favorite taco truck in LA. Daikokuya is open til 1am some nights (hoping they follow Sawtelle's lead and move it to 3-4am at some point). LA Cafe is always open, some stuff is okay.

I still drive to Fairfax and go to Canters when I'm hungry at 3am, tho.

17. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Senior member

brooks - I'm old so never go out late anymore, but have recently eaten at both Birdies and The Pantry (live DTLA so not too far away). I was pretty disappointed by the sandwich at Birdies - bread was bad/not fresh, the meat to bun ratio was ridiculous (a giant, unwieldy slab of chicken), and the chicken breading was surprisingly flavorless for the spicy, and just not very good. Had been meaning to go and just order their actual fried chicken pieces, but sandwich experience was so mediocre haven't made much of a priority. For a greasy spoon diner place, I actually really like The Pantry. Their hash browns, sausage patty (can be ordered as a side), bacon are all great IMO, my wife loves their pancakes, and they do eggs well -- not worth a really long wait though (have noticed at peak times huge line forms -- not sure what it's like late night...)

Questions for LA Metro Folks:

1) Leather Worker / Maker -- I am looking to get a new leather strap made for my Filson 257 - does anyone know of someone who works with leather and could do a custom strap job?

2) Watch Repair Shop -- I need to get some new holes punched in some leather straps I bought. Does anyone know of a watch shop that could do a good job with this? Also, just general Watch repair shop rec for servicing?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  18. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

@AloysiusSF Have you called Willie's Shoe Service to see if they could make a new leather watch strap for you or punch holes in your watch straps?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/willies-shoe-service-los-angeles

I've never asked them about watch straps since I have no need for watch straps.

19. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Senior member

@Roycru great suggestion, and thanks! Just called and Raul was helpful - gonna take the strap in to him and see if he can do an in-between hole punch that is clean / won't disturb the integrity of the strap. He can also make bag straps, will see how it goes on that front as well. Thanks again!

20. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

@AloysiusSF , you're welcome and if you look at Wille Shoe Service's Facebook page, you'll see that they make custom shoes, so punching holes or making watch straps should be something they can also do.

https://www.facebook.com/williesshoeservice/