• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any good burrito recs? Can't find anything I like in LA compared to Norcal places

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been to the new Grand Central market a few times now. I had breakfast at Eggslut a few weeks ago. It was pretty good but almost too rich for me. It's not something I could eat that often. I'll go to your taco stand next time.

As for San Francisco style burritos - I don't like them so I'm not help. I like the burritos at Cacao Mexicatessin in Eagle Rock, speaking of yuppiehipster gourmet Mexican. The Duck Carnitas, the cochinita, the Hongos - everything I've tried was great. I still prefer those things as tacos so maybe not relevant.

I like the style of burrito with refried beans and a stew like Chile Verde, or Guisado de Res or picadillo. I've found some places in Texas that make those, and some in LA though Burrito King on Hyperion is gone. I don't want too many ingredients in a burrito.

Last edited:

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

El Tepeyac, BOOM!

El Tepeyac has some beastly burritos! I remember back in the day, if you finish a "dos manos" burrito (I think that's what it was called) you would get it for free. I wonder if they still do that.

Speaking of Mexican, the best taco truck taco I've had in recent memory is Leo's Tacos on La Brea and Venice (the orange truck in the 76 gas station lot...I think there are 2 other trucks sharing that intersection). It's best at night - their al pastor sliced fresh from the spit is cray

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been to the new Grand Central market a few times now. I had breakfast at Eggslut a few weeks ago. It was pretty good but almost too rich for me. It's not something I could eat that often. I'll go to your taco stand next time.

As for San Francisco style burritos - I don't like them so I'm not help. I like the burritos at Cacao Mexicatessin in Eagle Rock, speaking of yuppiehipster gourmet Mexican. The Duck Carnitas, the cochinita, the Hongos - everything I've tried was great. I still prefer those things as tacos so maybe not relevant.

I like the style of burrito with refried beans and a stew like Chile Verde, or Guisado de Res or picadillo. I've found some places in Texas that make those, and some in LA though Burrito King on Hyperion is gone. I don't want too many ingredients in a burrito.

El Tepeyac, BOOM!

Thanks, will try them out

El Tepeyac has some beastly burritos! I remember back in the day, if you finish a "dos manos" burrito (I think that's what it was called) you would get it for free. I wonder if they still do that.

Speaking of Mexican, the best taco truck taco I've had in recent memory is Leo's Tacos on La Brea and Venice (the orange truck in the 76 gas station lot...I think there are 2 other trucks sharing that intersection). It's best at night - their al pastor sliced fresh from the spit is cray

Damn I've been wanting to try that truck out, always super packed when I drive by

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tried to stop by that truck about a month ago and it was mobbed, didn't even try to find parking.

gnu

Reaction score
I'll agree with El Tepeyac, place is awesome. Also really like this place I ran across in Glendale called Victoria's Tacos and Grill. Its out by Golden Road Brewery on San Fernando. Kind of out of the way but pretty bomb.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've eaten at eggslut a couple of times. it's good, but it's expensive and totally awash in hipsters. it's been open like a month and there are still lines. too many other good options. that thai place sticky rice is truly exceptional. i would put that down as the No. 1 must-try at the market. and next time, give me a call.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
foodguy is the best

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lakers baby, lakers.
and if any of you happen to be at this end of downtown, i'd also recommend a stop at maccheroni republic -- really good pasta and an affordable price, very much like aneighborhood trattoria in italy -- and baco mercat, which enough has been written about, but is still really good.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you been to the new Centeno place? Your critic raved about it.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you been to the new Centeno place? Your critic raved about it.

have not. he's a really good cook, though, and i am looking forward to going soon.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, speaking of #yuppiehipster tacos, I ate at Guerrilla Tacos recently - totally worth the hype.

gnu

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent tailor in Los feliz/silverlake area? Need to get some pants taken in so they don't need to be top notch.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, speaking of #yuppiehipster tacos, I ate at Guerrilla Tacos recently - totally worth the hype.

The few times that I've been they've run out of tacos (in the afternoon - you really have to catch them early), so I had to get the torta (which is served on a croissant). I'm never disappointed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads