1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. JMarsh

JMarsh Member

Check out The Playground in the Santa Ana Arts District. Amazing food, and a lot of other good bars nearby.

1 person likes this.
  2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Thank you for the suggestions fellas… will check those out!

3. jet

jet Senior member

Garbage crowd in the downtown santa ana bar scene.

4. jzpac

jzpac Member

Honeycut is fun. Good drinks. DJ Jack of All Tracks spins Friday nights and plays excellent music.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  5. Kid Nickels

:lol: Leave it to @jet for the sobering reminder that there's a bunch of twats and douche bags in OC. lol

Thank you, but we're not going "out" out per se … just spending some time catching up with a good old friend so I think we'll be ok avoiding the riff raff.

Riff Raff may or may not include this guy.
    [​IMG]

Dine L.A. is coming up and I've gone through the same thought process and reached the same conclusion I always do …. which basically involves two steps. 1) Let me check the menus, maybe there will be something worth trying that won't be over run with assholes. 2) Nope.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  6. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Some old friends have a bar called the north left in santa ana that would probably be a good bet. Formerly the crosby.

7. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Randomly in Anaheim last week for work, had a quick and good lunch at PokiNometry. Solid poke bowls if you're looking for a quick and cheap lunch.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kid Nickels

This looks great thank you. Conveniently I'll be there on Tuesday for the $1 oysters during happy hour so I think we'll give this a try for our first stop. If it sucks you'll hear back from me! :p

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  9. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just had lunch at Chego, first time I've been there. OMG, it's so fucking rich. I had the pork belly and the fries, I feel disgusting. I feel the same way I felt after trying Eggslut. The food was good, but by the time I was finished I knew I'd probably never return. It's just too over the top - too much sour cream, too much cheese, too much oil, too much sauce.

1 person likes this.
  10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I always go to grand central market to try eggslut, and there's always a big ass line, and I always try something else. Sucks.

11. Kid Nickels

@eglbc so you may want to suggest to your friends that they update the website more than once yearly. Apparently they haven't been doing $1 oyster Tuesdays for over 6 months (although it's still prominently on their page) … and despite my calling 3 times beforehand just to check, no one ever answered the phone. Despite those inconveniences, the bartender Zach was very cool and gave us a little complimentary, mini gin tasting. Good beer and some very good beef tataki. Would definitely go back if they got their shit together on the oysters.

Thank you for all the recommendations, but I decided to stick to my instincts and we did The Blind Rabbit for dinner…. going back again on Saturday. :nodding:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  12. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

There is so much good food at the GCM, you're not missing anything. Wexlers pastrami is amazing. Sticky Rice is great. Madcapra, Belcampo, Ramenhood. I had an amazing bowl of chili at a new place that was doing sandwiches and other stuff, forget the name.

1 person likes this.
  13. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Egg Slut is so hyped up, but I love it. Other than the "gentrified" spots that have moved in, my fave is Roast to Go...$3 for a taco but sweet lord do they pack on the meat.

EDIT: went to GCM this past weekend and found that Roast To Go raised it's taco price to $3.50, as of last week. I'm still saying it's worth it, but c'mon, $3 was better

Also, I'm a fan of Sticky Rice

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  14. jet

jet Senior member

15. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

16. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

1 person likes this.
  17. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Thanks for the link @Roycru, I hadn't seen it.

My takeaway from the article is that in order to dress casually in LA one needs to spend about $1500-$2000 for an outfit, plus spend $12,00-$15,000 on a watch.

18. Kid Nickels

The feature look in the collage picture just looks like shit .. not sure why that was chosen to highlight the article. The other fits don't seem to be loading for me so I couldn't see the other examples.

NAMM show in Anaheim was a lot of fun. The North Left is a pretty cool bar (but they bagged the oysters). The Blind Rabbit is fantastic and a lot of fun. Went to dinner at the Tangerine Grill & Patio last night in the Anabella Hotel and it was surprisingly good (friend's friend's decision and he was paying so what the hell).

The after party in the Hilton lobby was outrageous. Like an Animal House reprise. Lots of music industry peeps and weirdos … good fun. Saw this 14 year old chick out with her father absolutely tripping her balls off … strange what some people consider parenting. I can't imagine what housekeeping was doing today trying to make the place presentable. I would hope it involved installing brand new carpet throughout.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  19. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Which part of Namm were you attending? Bunch of my buddies were constantly texting me about the new DJ gear.

20. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

That article makes me sad. LA as a the style capital? FML.

The demise of CM also sucks

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.