• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn didn't realize conferacy closed, coulda used some CPs / Quoddies at 75% off

gramercyyork

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For sushi, Nozomi in Torrance is great. Probably doesn't get much mention cause its down there and not in West L.A.

gramercyyork

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i go Torrence very often about twice a week, I go try different places every time I am there. Rarely being disappointed.

If you go to Torrance often, I suggest Ichimian in Old Torrance. Best soba in L.A. Super small place, they used to be lunch only, now they are open later. When you go for lunch, its pretty much Japanese businessmen having lunch.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

If you go to Torrance often, I suggest Ichimian in Old Torrance.  Best soba in L.A.  Super small place, they used to be lunch only, now they are open later.  When you go for lunch, its pretty much Japanese businessmen having lunch.

been there before, for a dinner combo 16 bucks plus tips tax ended around 20. Also been to the barbecue place same in rolling hills plaza last weekend, liked it a lot. There's also a udon noodle place on lomita and Hawthorne. Sushi is probably my least favorite japanese food.

melwoesblvd

Reaction score
yea that udon spot you're talking about is dope. curry udon with tempura shrimp and mochi and the veggie one FTW

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you go to Torrance often, I suggest Ichimian in Old Torrance.  Best soba in L.A.  Super small place, they used to be lunch only, now they are open later.  When you go for lunch, its pretty much Japanese businessmen having lunch.

have you been to otafuku in gardena? how does ichimian compare?

gramercyyork

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
have you been to otafuku in gardena? how does ichimian compare?
I've been to Otafuku, its been awhile. Its also good, but its more of a izakaya type place, so its pricier. I've only been for dinner. Thing I like about Ichimian is that its quick and simple.

Its crazy that we have such good soba here in Torrance, but we don't have great ramen.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been to Otafuku, its been awhile.  Its also good, but its more of a izakaya type place, so its pricier.  I've only been for dinner.  Thing I like about Ichimian is that its quick and simple.

Its crazy that we have such good soba here in Torrance, but we don't have great ramen.  

yes, otafuku is much more of a special occasion place. but his noodles are great (at least to my taste).
It is odd that ramen seems to be so much of a sawtelle thing, but not really torrance (or, really, little tokyo). have not been to shinsengumi downtown, but other than that, i guess it's pretty much daikokuya, which i go to when there isn't a line of hipsters. (also just ate recently at the new udon place, marugame monzo, and it was pretty great). And in torrance, of course there's santouka at mitsuwa.

gramercyyork

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
yes, otafuku is much more of a special occasion place. but his noodles are great (at least to my taste).
It is odd that ramen seems to be so much of a sawtelle thing, but not really torrance (or, really, little tokyo). have not been to shinsengumi downtown, but other than that, i guess it's pretty much daikokuya, which i go to when there isn't a line of hipsters. (also just ate recently at the new udon place, marugame monzo, and it was pretty great). And in torrance, of course there's santouka at mitsuwa.
The only ramen that I like at the moment is Yamada-ya in Culver City. My family background is Japanese, so I've had my share of ramen, and not too crazy about most of the ramen out here. The wife knows the owner's wife of Daikokuya and they admit their ramen is geared towards non-Japanese. One complaint I've heard from my wife and many Japanese out here is that the ramen soup isn't super hot, its warm, not hot.

gramercyyork

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
been there before, for a dinner combo 16 bucks plus tips tax ended around 20. Also been to the barbecue place same in rolling hills plaza last weekend, liked it a lot. There's also a udon noodle place on lomita and Hawthorne. Sushi is probably my least favorite japanese food.
Lomita & Hawthorne? I know the one at Lomita & Crenshaw (Oumi Sasaya) that place is good. If you like Japanese BBQ, close by is Tamaen, that place is good.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Lomita & Hawthorne?  I know the one at Lomita & Crenshaw (Oumi Sasaya) that place is good.  If you like Japanese BBQ, close by is Tamaen, that place is good.
you are right, Oumi Sasaya is at lomita and Penn. I just use yelp and GPS to get there .

Tamaen is good, as well as Hakata Yamaya.

I like Shin Sen Gumi Yakitori but always think it lack of something. I'm going to try Torihei this weekend.

gramercyyork

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
you are right, Oumi Sasaya is at lomita and Penn. I just use yelp and GPS to get there .

Tamaen is good, as well as Hakata Yamaya.

I like Shin Sen Gumi Yakitori but always think it lack of something. I'm going to try Torihei this weekend.
Ya, Shin Sen Gumi is a bit noisy. My favorite yakitori in the area is Koshiji. And the ramen they have is surprisingly good.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For ramen I've only tried a few places (since I just moved to LA 6 month ago)

I don't like Daikokuya, at least the one close by my house, almost hated it. shinsengumi ramen is OK nothing special. Santouka is OK, but I like their rice bowl>ramen. I heard they are going to have another location in Torrance. By far my fav is a place called Silverlake Ramen in silverlake lol. they also have good pork bun (pork belly is so gooood)

@gramaercyyork I am going to try Ramen Yamadaya when I can, but I don't go to west side often.

Koshiji looks good I will bookmark that. I really hope they open late on Fri and Sat evening, at least til midnight. Sometimes when I arrive around 10 and told they are about to close :(

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads