1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

You might find that staying somewhere around the corner of 3rd Street and Fairfax Avenue is convenient for many of the places that you want to visit. The Farmer's Daughter Hotel is very close to 3rd and Fairfax.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/farmers-daughter-hotel-los-angeles-2

From there, you can walk west on 3rd Street to Robertson, walk north on Robertson to Santa Monica Blvd and then walk back to Fairfax on Santa Monica Blvd, along with taking side trip walks along Melrose Ave (and the one block of Melrose Place) and/or along Beverly Blvd. You can also walk eest to La Cienega Blvd, and then north along La Cienega.

There are both Los Angeles Metro and the local DASH (or whatever it's called on the street where you are) busses.

From 3rd and Fairfax, you can also walk a few blocks south on Fairfax to Wilshire Blvd to the Los Angeles County Museum Of Art and the La Brea Tar Pits (or take a bus).

From 3rd and Fairfax you can also walk east on 3rd Street to La Brea Avenue, and then north (or south) on La Brea Avenue (or take a bus).

If you are going to be riding on the bus a lot, it's probably a good idea to get a TAP card, then pay for a day pass every day the first time each day that you get on a bus.

Most of the time, you will probably find the Metro buses (but not so much on the local DASH busses) crowded and rather noisy, as the Metro busses have closed circuit televisions that blast the riders with English and Spanish language commercials, which the passengers all ignore as they scream into their cell phones in every imaginable foreign language.

Everyone also insists on bringing a backpack on the bus, as if they were searching for the source of the Nile or going on a ten day forced march. I have no idea why people need backpacks. I go out every day without any impedimenta.

If you want to look around in the Silverlake area, the Santa Monica Blvd Metro busses pass through Silverlake on their way downtown.

You did not mention if you wanted to go urban or rural hiking. If you want to go rural hiking, you can take a bus north on La Brea Avenue and end up near Griffith Park. If you search online, you can find all sorts of hiking paths in Griffith Park. Just be prepared to see strange things as you hike.

I used to work witn a lady from Glasgow. She used to write home to her relatives in SCotland about how strange everything was in Los Angeles. They didn't believe her, so they came to see for themselves, and they found out that she wasn't even telling them half of it.

1 person likes this.
  2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Probably some of both, but at least foodguy's daughter grew out that stage.

3. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Now, as to the second part of your question, about places to stay and see by the seaside.

My friend always stays here when she comes to Los Angeles......

http://www.pacificahotels.com/innatvenicebeach

...it's a few blocks east of the Venice Pier. It's also located along the remains of the Grand Canal. You can walk north along the Grand Canal until you come to the few remaining Venice canals (which are different from the canals in the Netherlands). If you walk along Linnie Canal, you will come to the Linnie Canal Duck Park, where the ducks have their own little opening in the fence so that they can waddle from the canal into their park.

If you keep walking north from the Venice Canals, you will come to Abbot Kinney, where there are all sorts of (trendy) shops, bars, and restaurants.

If for some bizarre reason you decide that you want to go to Santa Monica, you can walk north from Venice along either Main Street (for shops, bars, and restaurants) or along the beach (and see the sights, which words cannot describe). If you walk far enough north, you will come to downtown Santa Monica (3rd Street Promenade and the Santa Monica Pier) which are, collectively, probably the worst place that you will ever visit (even if you go everywhere on Earth).

From Venice, you can also walk south to Marina Del Rey, where there are all sorts of bars and restaurants and thousands of boats.

You can also find many places in Venice and Santa Monica that rent bicycles or roller skates.

2 people like this.
  4. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Its also useful as a battering ram to increase your personal space ,for occupying the only available seat in the coffee shop,and using as a pillow so you can stretch out on the bus stop bench

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

edit

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  6. Michaelm93

Michaelm93 Active Member

Thanks for all your replies, incredibly helpful!!
    True! I enjoy walking in my own country, I think I will enjoy it even more when in a big city like LA where there's lots of stuff to see. Both in the big rural areas and along the beach.
    As for your big question.. I'm accustomed to nothing, really. I've backpacked through Asia and slept in the worst hostels ever and I've slept in pretty bad hostels with friends when roadtripping around Europe. I've never had any bad experiences though. I've also slept in luxury hotels all over America and Europe with my parents.
    I will be studying at Irvine the months after my visit to LA. So as a student, I have budgetary restrictions. I've saved up a lot for this trip. I could afford staying at the Charlie hotel or Inn At Venice Beach that were suggested and I could afford to rent a car (I'm convinced it isn't worth the money and hassle), but I'd rather not do that as it would mean I could spend less money to go out, go shopping or go traveling after I finish my studies. Kinda the same reason I wouldn't buy a $1000 jacket the first week of my stay. I could afford it, but it would mean I would have less money for the rest of my stay in the States (well not exactly the same but you get the idea I think).
    I love getting to know people on my trip (especially when traveling alone) and in my experience in a hostel it is easier to lay contacts than in a hotel. I've never used Airbnb before so don't know if I like that.

After looking around a bit, it seems both Culver city and Hollywood would be good places to stay. I would be close to La Brea, I could spend a day downtown (staples center?) if I suddenly feel like it and could go up to Griffith park for some hiking. I've read both Silver Lake and Los Feliz are nice and hip but both neighborhoods seem a little bit out of the way, right?
    As for my second place to stay, what's the main difference between Venice and Santa Monica? Especially @Roycru seems to have an unmistakable opinion about this.
    I'd love to rent a bike and bike ride from santa monica down to manhattan beach. Seems like it would take about an hour which is fine and I guess it shows you all the beatiful beaches. I like riding bike, I've done it my whole life, never owned a car..
    Another question: Is Uber a cheap and reliable way of transportation? We know it here in the Netherlands but never use it.
    If any of you have recommendations for things I should definitely include in my trip, please feel free to suggest.

Again, thanks for all your replies. Really will help me find my way in this huge city.

7. ShootThePier

ShootThePier Senior member

Good to know you'll be staying on in Irvine after your stopover in L.A. Irvine is about an hour south of Santa Monica, DTLA, and Venice, depending on traffic.
    Santa Monica and Venice are adjacent. Venice is more hostel vibe, Santa Monica more upscale. I would be careful with my gear in both places, it will get stolen if unattended.
    Walking is the best way to see the city. Throw some power bars and waters in your back pack and save eating out for your favorite cuisine(s). Use Yelp. Depending on your palate, there are some restaurants going out of your way for.
    If you're on the beach side of your trip on a Wednesday, go to the Ssnta Monica Farmer's Market. Engage the farmer's assistants, not many farmers work the market, and tell them where you're from, and that you're interested in the differences in varieties snd flavors between the U.S. and your home. They'll give you s bunch of free samples.
    Melrose Ave is fun to walk, although you won't buy much, if anything. South of Meltose is Beverly, another good street to walk, to check out the natives. La Brea could take one day or two, depending on your focus, I would take my time. Silver Lake and Los Feliz are a one day trip using Uber from locale to locale to save time.
    Somebody else mentioned the size of what we call L.A. It is sprawling. Downtown will be a day in itself, as you'll probably want to visit different areas. Even with a car these would be day trips, unless you are going to one store here, another there, a restaurant here, a bar there. If you want to soak it "all" up take your time, and you'll probably end up taking a few trips back up from Irvine to do some of the places you didn't have time for. Amtrak will get you from Union Station(DTLA) to close to Irvine. From Union Station you can then get the Metto(Subway) to different areas of L.A. and Hollywood. I'm guessing there is a bus to the beach cities from Union Station, but I don't know for sure.
    I've learned a lot about my home city through the eyes of friends that have come to stay with me. Through their expectations and wishes I've found things I never knew were in my own backyard.
    Enjoy your adventure.

8. ShootThePier

ShootThePier Senior member

We have some great museums that you'll want to not miss out on either. Day trips back up from Irvine.
    You'll be pleasantly sirprised how close Irvine is.

9. aizan

aizan Senior member

go see the mark bradford show at the hammer before it closes on the 20th (which is also the day that the broad opens)!

10. 1969

1969 Senior member

MOCA has the full Matthew Barney exhibit /screening for River of Fundament this fall. Should be 'fun'.

11. Baron

Baron Senior member

I think for downtown, you'll be happier visiting the historic core along Broadway than hanging out near Staples Center. There's Grand Central Market, The Last Bookstore, The Ace Hotel, lots of restaurants, cafes and shops.

And definitely do that bike ride down to Manhattan/Hermosa and back. Stop in downtown Hermosa or Manhattan for lunch or coffee or ice cream, watch some volleyball, walk around the village or out on the pier. Those are nice places for a short visit.

12. brooks23

brooks23 Senior member

Definitely agree with this. If you're into shopping, there's also APC, Tanner Goods and Acne all within half a block of each other at 9th & Broadway. You're also a $4-5 uber ride from the Arts District and tons more shopping and food.

The area around Staples is kinda meh. Lots of corporate chain restaurants and stuff. If you do make your way over there, check out Hotel Figueroa and the Grammy Museum.

13. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

As Baron mentioned, Manhattan Beach (and south from Manhattan Beach) is good for bicycling. Here's a picture of people bicycling past the Manhattan Beach Pier.......

[​IMG]

.....just remember not to try to jump off the Manhattan Beach Pier, as it isn't allowed.

[​IMG]

This picture is looking north from the Manhattan Beach Pier, towards El Segundo, where there are oil refineries, sewage disposal plants, and various other industries, which is why Baron suggested you bicycle south, rather than north from Manhattan Beach.

The Los Angeles Airport is north of El Segundo, and the planes take off over the sea (and over the big brown stain on the sea from the sewage disposal plant).

1 person likes this.
  14. jet

jet Senior member

Second on the 3rd/fairfax area first then venice recommendations, those are quintessential LA neighborhoods. Irvine is a manufactured city in a cultural void which is surrounded by more sterility.

Silver lake/echo park is a bit out of the way in the wrong direction but a decent place to spend half a day.

15. venividivicibj

F its pouring in costa Mesa. Wtf this weather

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Really? Still hot as hell in west LA.

17. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

18. venividivicibj

It's coming east to west. LB getting hit now.

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Oh, that's OK, then. Nobody but @foodguy lives in LB.

20. venividivicibj

Riverside had flash flood warnings in the early afternoon.

El Nino's arrived?