• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I live in Venice and work in Century City.
If you're working on the west side, I can see K-town being tough. It's not far, but that cross-town traffic can absolutely suck in the late afternoon/early evening -- especially going west-to-east. It doesn't help that the city likes to start simultaneous construction projects on parallel thoroughfares (e.g., Washington Blvd and Venice Blvd, both around Sawtelle and Sepulveda) to really screw things up. Still, YMMV and all that - time of day makes a big difference.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a tailor? Need to get some alternations done on a suit and a couple of shirts. Preferably somewhere on the Westside, between Bev Hills and Santa Monica or thereabouts. Thanks --

George's Tailoring in West LA, near the corner of Santa Monica and Bundy. Have been a customer since 2006, would highly recommend.

dgsdm

Reaction score
I live in Venice and work in Century City.
If you're working on the west side, I can see K-town being tough. It's not far, but that cross-town traffic can absolutely suck in the late afternoon/early evening -- especially going west-to-east. It doesn't help that the city likes to start simultaneous construction projects on parallel thoroughfares (e.g., Washington Blvd and Venice Blvd, both around Sawtelle and Sepulveda) to really screw things up. Still, YMMV and all that - time of day makes a big difference.

Ah I see. I actually went to Venice a few days ago to meet someone. But yeah the drive is not that bad but I could imagine it being brutal in traffic.

We should set up another SF LA meetup or is it too soon for another one?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Posted in an old tailor thread but could use a tailor for some Tom Ford and Band of Outsiders suiting and wouldn't really want to risk it (can go back up to Norcal) unless somebody has a good rec.

Paul at Wilshire Tailors always does a great job. As does Abi from Alandales store in Culver City. I'd recommend Paul, because he is a lot faster.

I'm in K-Town! Think I need to eventually move closer to the westside for work. What part do you live in?

When you say K-Town, all I hear is AYCE KBBQ. Right about the worst place for an MC meeting due to having to wear the oldest and cheapest clothing while in there.

dgsdm

Reaction score
Paul at Wilshire Tailors always does a great job. As does Abi from Alandales store in Culver City. I'd recommend Paul, because he is a lot faster.
When you say K-Town, all I hear is AYCE KBBQ. Right about the worst place for an MC meeting due to having to wear the oldest and cheapest clothing while in there.

Hahahaha Korean BBQ is good and all but I hate smelling like meat afterwards and my face gets all greasy afterward..

dlm4114

Reaction score
Thanks for the tailor recs gents -- I think I'll check out Marina at First Class. Great Yelp reviews and she's the closest to my apartment.

dgsdm

Reaction score
Do any of you go to the Barney's in Beverly Hills often? or even Neiman Marcus? I'm thinking about getting a part-time job at one of these high-end dept. stores, any advice?

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the tailor recs gents -- I think I'll check out Marina at First Class. Great Yelp reviews and she's the closest to my apartment.

Interested to see what you think. She's really nice, does good work too. Bring cash, no cc's.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hit up Mohawk Man yesterday, Mohawk General Store's just-for-men shop that opened a few days ago. Stocks EG, Dries, Our Legacy, etc. Cool story, huh

lawyerdad

Reaction score

Ah I see. I actually went to Venice a few days ago to meet someone. But yeah the drive is not that bad but I could imagine it being brutal in traffic. 

We should set up another SF LA meetup or is it too soon for another one?

Sorry, been a bit busy, but I'd be up for another one in the relatively near future.

Also, most LA folks have probably read about this, but: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/08/u...ml?partner=rss&emc=rss&utm_source=feedly&_r=0
About two miles from my place. From the radio reports, the situation seems to be under control now.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lawyerdad

Reaction score

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrible. As if our educational system weren't in trouble already, now it's practically open season on students.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads