1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. piluchavez

piluchavez Senior member

Anybody know if there are any other places to get breakfast tacos besides Home State?

2. jlchau

jlchau Senior member

Haven't had them yet but Guisados does breakfast tacos on Sunday I believe.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Tons of brick and mortar places, plus some trucks. What parts of town?

4. piluchavez

piluchavez Senior member

Los Feliz area. Just moved here from Texas where breakfast tacos were in abundance. Didn't realize it was mostly a Central Texas thing.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It's been a long time since I lived over there, but have you checked out Yucca's Hut? I can't remember if they do breakfast tacos per se, but it's worth knowing about regardless.

6. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yucca's has a regular restaurant right down the block from Home State, with a more extensive menu than the hut. I'd try there.

Though L.A. is a real taco town, I think it's a lot easier to find breakfast burritos than breakfast tacos. Tacos Villa Corona on Glendale Blvd. in Atwater always has breakfast, definitely burritos, maybe tacos too.

1 person likes this.
  7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    point of clarity: for a texan, a breakfast taco is a very specific thing, not just a taco that you eat at breakfast, or even a taco filled with eggs.

1 person likes this.
  8. Baron

I bought a couple of pints of Graeter's - Black Raspberry Chip and Salted Caramel. Good shit.

1 person likes this.
  9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    don't know whether anyone noticed, but apparently Jenni's has recalled ALL of their ice creams and shut down ALL of their stores (at least in California) because of listeria concerns. and they were just getting started. let's hope they bounce back (though personally i prefer mcdonnell's and gelateria ulli in downtown la (one is on grand central market, directly across from both Sticky Rice and Wexler's Deli and the other is next door to Guisados ... talk about kismet!)

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ Oh shit, no I didn't hear that… sounds scary.

Awesome! Glad you liked it. :D

11. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

a+++

12. 1969

1969 Senior member

Jenis is handling this deftly. A single postive test and because they could not determine the root cause, rather than recalling a few varieties at a time they made the decision within 24 hrs to totally shut down everything to clean and implement better controls. Compare that with Blue Bell who let things bleed out over several weeks before pulling everything. Additionally, Jenis is performing really well on Twitter. They are built on transparency which makes it possible for them to get through this imo.

13. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Jeni Britton Bauer is from Columbus, OH, and has a couple scoop shops around town. I say this because my girlfriend and I got ice cream from one on Sunday and she had listeria poisoning from Monday through Wednesday and finally started feeling like normal yesterday. Not fun.

The scary part is that I had the same type of ice cream as her, and thus far I feel fine. Strong immune system I hope

14. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

A break from ice cream - Assembly NY opening on 7977 Melrose, near Fred Segal/Ron Herman

15. Kid Nickels

I think I'm going to check out Santa Monica Seafood for their oysters and nosh happy hour and also to pick up some fish on Wednesday. I've heard good things about it… I'll report back whether those things I heard are accurate. :)

EDIT: It was awesome.. pix to follow.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  16. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

17. Kid Nickels

Need to update my last two weeks of grazing the city… good news for most spots: Bestia, Hinoki, etc.

Went to Nobu in Malibu last night for the hell of it. I know the food will never be as good as the prices they charge, but I like chilling there for some reason. Fucking delicious Santa Barbara uni though!

18. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

Went to Ink while visiting. Egg yolk gnocchi was a nice surprise, lamb belly was delicious, most of the smaller dishes just average. Wasn't a fan of the foie gras polenta - cooked very rare and had a really rich and slimy taste that had no sauce for balance. Overall I was not super impressed, everything felt rough around the edges. If I had to go again, I'd recommend getting mostly large plates from the bottom part of the menu.

19. PootyTang

PootyTang Active Member

Where can I get my jeans repaired?

I've been going to Rufcut on sawtelle for a,few years but I'm looking for a change. That guy just charges too much, takes too long, and sometimes the work is a little shoddy. Im just lokkijg for a hem and a crotch hole repair. Recs are appreciated!

20. Baron

The Denim Doctor/HTC is down on Adams now. But if you want a cheap repair job and don't care about making it artisanal or some shit like that, most dry cleaners have a tailor on staff that will do a perfectly adequate job.