1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

McConnels Fine ice cream is pretty good. At Grand Central market now. Used to be only in SB i think.

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Jeezus that is pretty fucking hilarious. It was late, kinda out of it when I posted that… but like I said, I love the stuff. There are definitely other great ice creams, but it's one of my faves. Thanks for helping me make myself laugh! :lol:

Just being honest here, but when I first moved to LA I tried their version of coconut… both out of curiosity and as a direct flavor comparison to Graeter's… I truly thought it sucked. Not like not as good, just shite.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  3. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

On the topic of ice cream from the Midwest, anybody know of a way to get Superman flavor ice cream in LA??

4. venividivicibj

What does superman taste like?

5. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Lots of arguments abound, but I think it's generally regarded as Blue Moon, Wild Cherry, and Lemon.

Superman Ice Cream

6. Kid Nickels

^ that shit is crazy. When I was a kid there was a version that came with bubble gum balls mixed into it. Now that I look back 'm thinking… jeez, I can't believe my mother let me eat that crap. lol

7. Kid Nickels

I'm going contrary to my previous good-natured ball-busting of @skitlets putting OC-related questions in here, but alas I occasionally crossover into that southern dark side and while there will need to feed myself so a couple recommendation questions… I was going to do a lunch at Nick's in Laguna and dinner at San Shi Go in Newport one day while I have a couple friends in town. Thoughts? "Been there" experiences? Thanks.

8. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nick's is good, I've been there a few times. It's not special or anything but it's solid. I've only been to the San Shi Go in Laguna, but I've always liked it.

9. venividivicibj

Nicks deli? (Known for the breakfast burritos)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  10. Kid Nickels

11. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Some of the places I like to eat around Irvine. I don't venture up to Fullerton/Anaheim too often, so this is more Irvine/South OC based.

Fukada for udon, right by Irvine Spectrum.
    Kappo Honda for izakaya. It's the sister restaurant to Honda Ya, which is also in Tustin and LA.
    Ohshima for sushi. San Shi Go is good too.
    Bear Flag for fish and poke.
    A & J for Taiwanese pork chop over rice. The minced pork and tomato noodle is good too.
    Chong Qing Mei Wei is some of the best Szechuan I've had. Service sucks but I keep going back.
    Brodards for spring rolls, and only the spring rolls. The other food is just okay.
    Banh Cuon Tay Ho for the traditional Viet dish.

Since the weather has been warm, a burger at Ruby's Shake Shack is worth the view. Food is okay but the view at sunset is unbeatable.

1 person likes this.
  12. Kid Nickels

^ thanks Skits I'll have to do a run through and see if there are any other places we may hit up. Right now my loose list of LA places to try (a couple of which I've been to but not my guests) is as follows:
    Santa Monica Seafood for HH and fish purchases, Musha Isakaya (SaMo), Bestia (DTLA), Guisado's (Silver Lake/Echo), Sugarfish (BH), Geoffrey's (Malibu), Hinoki & The Bird (Century) and Pizzeria Mozza (LA). Other places to hit up are Backyard at the W for brunch (Westwood), Misfit HH (SaMo), PingTung Market (WeHo) and Beachy Cream (SaMo) ice cream shop. Sounds crazy for sure but friends and family will be here almost 3 weeks so I'm not going to do a nearly month long Julia Child impression cooking for these mofos everyday!

Thoughts, suggestions, other recommendations appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Hinoki is fun. Good food, nice daytime cocktails, really pleasant space. I like SM Seafood as a fish market, but it's too busy and crowded for a pleasant dining experience in my opinion. If you're on the westside, I like Bar Hayama on Sawtelle (poor signage; it's across the street from Plan Check.) Food is good not amazing, but eating around the outside fire pit is really nice.

14. jlchau

jlchau Senior member

As @lawyerdad said, Hinoki has a great space. Musha is pretty solid although I haven't been in a while. I've been to Guisado's in Boyle Heights, and the one in DTLA (Boyle Heights tasted better!). Sugarfish is solid, but they are everywhere (he also has a hand roll only joint that's more casual called Kazunori in DTLA). I didn't like PingTung that much, would rather try someplace like Night+Market or Night+Market Song (although I haven't been to either). Mozza was good but we haven't been in quite some time either.

For brunch I really like Gjelina (Venice), Gjusta (there is really no place to sit here), and Sqirl (Silver Lake). We also are regulars at Clementine and Amandine. Superba Food & Bread was pretty good, but they've had a lot of changes in staff/management over the past year. We love Uncle Bill's Pancake House in Manhattan Beach. We also love Fishing With Dynamite there.

We went to A-Frame recently with the revamped Hawaiian menu and enjoyed it.

Places on our list we've been meaning to try: Bestia, Republique, Bucato, Ramen Champ, Cassell's Hamburgers, Birch

15. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Anyone been to Terrine yet and or have an opinion on it? Looking at going there in a few weeks

16. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

If anyone has some OC must-eats, I'd be happy to hear em. I'm only around for another couple of months!

17. venividivicibj

As a person who lives on the edge of LA and OC, this would be nice

18. Kid Nickels

Are you moving on after graduation Skits? Where to if you don't mind my asking?

19. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I'm taking the CA bar but will be off to DC right after.

20. Kid Nickels

Good luck dawg! Not telling you anything you don't already know, but it suuuuuuuucks! :happy:

1 person likes this.