1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Anyone heading to Inspiration LA today/tomorrow?

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a buddy with a booth there, I'm gonna try to go tonight.

3. kiya

kiya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'll be there both days, lot's of really good things being shown this year.

4. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was there last night - wow, there is a ton of really amazing stuff there. My first thought was, if I wanted to spend some money I could come home with some incredible pieces. Then the more time I spent there, I started to think I'd have an impossible time choosing things because there is just so much.

I'll add that one thing I wasn't expecting was the vintage 70's and 80's swim trunks. The quicksilver booth was full and amazing old trunks that were everywhere in my childhood in Laguna but are impossible to find these days, even on eBay. He was making some cool repros of those too.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ Fuck I totally forgot about this. :brick:

6. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Sweet lord. I spent close 7 freakin' hours at Inspiration. And I thought I would be there 2 hours tops. It was amazing. I'll be there next year fosho

7. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

Inspiration was great this year! Picked up a RMC HH jacket, long sleeve shirt and sweat top.

8. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

9. jet

jet Senior member

went to komasa wed night and it's a solid joint for raw fish

-only one chef yet the fastest we've ever gotten served
    -not much exotic selection but we had virtually everything
    -everything was tasty, was surprised how excellent the salmon was and i don't normally order regular salmon
    -price wash't bad, good value
    -only asahi and sapporo though

worth going back

10. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

Went to Republique Saturday night. Stellar meal!

11. kiya

kiya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Not doing the WF line, it doesn't really fit into the style of things we do.
    RMC has been closing all wholesale accounts to eventually go flagship store only.

12. rem870wm

rem870wm New Member

Just found this thread. So much sushi discussion. Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I'm gonna represent the east side and recommend Saito Sushi. Don't be afraid. It's tucked away in a corner strip mall with a liquor store, Thai massage parlor, laundromat and much much more! Talk about convenience!

The fish is fantastic, the rice tasty, and the house sake is smooth. I'm not into rolls, but I've never had a roll here or seen anyone eating a roll. Place is tiny. Chef Saitoson and the server are very friendly. If two of you are eating dinner and having sake and beer, you can leave full and drunk for about $130 with tip.

1 person likes this.
  13. ExAngel

ExAngel Senior member

I went to Go's Mart again recently and had a slightly better experience, but I still thing some of the dishes are a little over sauced. Regular Japan flown tuna continues to impress me though and even beat out the toro and higher calibre market place items. I still think for what it is, the place is not inspiring at all, and I dislike how secretive the prices are, as if Go will be charging what he feels at the moment after he serves you, Which sucks cause he's a really nice dude and deserves more praise for his skills, even though he doesn't really want any praise.

14. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Jet - i remember you trumpeting Mori sushi a while back and I held out, as I found it "boring."

Well, I was in LA for about a week in December, and did a sushi omakase journey through Mori, Shunji, Sushi Sushi, Q! Sushi, Sushi Tsujita, and one other place I forget.

Long-story short, Mori was the best, and I went twice. Outstanding fish, the best rice, personable chefs, and an endless stream of goodness.

15. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I haven't been to Go's, but people on the CHOW forum recommend it so highly. I'm not a big truffle-oil, ponzu sauce guy, so I have been steering clear of it. Plus, it's a hike from Westwood. How does it compare to Sushi Zo, which I view as somewhat similar on the sauce front.

16. stevent

stevent Senior member

This thread is making me crave some sushi, anyone been to Shunji lately? Was my go to spot last year due to connivence and cheapness, lunch omakase comes out to $4 / item or so with 3-4 pieces of otoro

Was getting too packed to enjoy though hopefully hype has died down a bit

17. ExAngel

ExAngel Senior member

You can't really compare.. Sushi Zo has a much better ambience, and you're allowed to modify your orders. Go's is literally a tiny bar with 4 seats and maybe 1 or 2 tables in an abandoned deli. The food though is pretty incredible, It's obvious Go is one of a handful of Sushi Chefs that can pick what he wants. I took a girl and while I was yet again disappointed in the lack of communication about the fish and not impressed with the environment, she was fantasizing about her next visit and had never eaten such good sushi. I think it's definitely worth going to just to say you did it. It's fun listening to Go talk about how He was one of the only Jiro chefs in la before the documentary came out. It sounds like he was in hiding for a while and got exposed by the la times after the documentary. The guy is really humble and cool, very eccentric. He's like a superstar that wants to talk about everything BUT his career, but its cool to hear him reminisce. I eat sushi about once a week so could never really do a fair comparison after so many factors are involved, but you definitely have to try it out. It's far though, but just do it.

18. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Go is awesome. He's gangster, I swear. Does what he wants, and doesn't give a shit about anything other than quality fish.

19. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Wow, those are two amazing recs. I'll have to go. You guys have it so good on the West Coast. Back East (philly, NYC), all the fish is frozen, and in manhattan the food inspectors are nazis with keeping the fish cold. Kills the ambiance for most digs, although there's one place that pushes the envelope behind the counter. ;)

To the other person asking about Shunji, I did his dinner omakase twice in December. One night he had a buri (big-ass Yellowtail) flown in from Japan, and I saw them unload the beast in the back and cut it up. Massive.

I'd say he's better with his artistry, soups, and other cooked dishes. He has a good variety of nigiri, but tends to stick with the white fishes more, and his rice isn't as perfectly seasoned or compact as I'd like. He does get super fresh seafood (e.g., will crack open the amaebi in front of you), and if you're into the dark, moody ambiance with some jazz you can't go wrong. I'm more of a straightforward sushi guy these days, which is why I lean toward Mori.

Tsujita impressed me in Sawtelle. There's this old-as-bones itamame leading up the shop, and they have a great tasting menu or killer chirashi deal for lunch. Very fresh fish.

20. jet

jet Senior member

Good to hear, people said mori fell off after he left but I didn't find that to be the case. Everything is excellent even the spicy tuna tacos, the barracuda when they have it as well.

I do think LA has the best sushi, when i was in nyc i made the mistake of ordering a fish based dish at some cafe and though I'm hesitant to generalize it just tasted old. We are rather spoiled in that and other senses.

My friend recced the jumbo scallops at komasa as his favorite and I wasn't impressed by them but the salmon was so oily and rich it was unbelievable. Tasted like a king or cherry salmon. Some of his stuff was average and others good.

I'll tell you who has the best halibut and scallops is gen, so great.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015