1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

So the deals aren't worth the crowds?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. LALurker

LALurker Senior member

I hate long lines. Try lunch.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

That's been my experience. But that's based on, I think, two or three data points over several years. Plus I'm a cranky, impatient misanthrope who hates crowds, restricted choices, and crappy service. And as a general rule, I'd rather economize in other areas and pay a bit more for dining out if it means I'm doing so entirely on my terms. But everyone balances those trade-offs differently, and I haven't looked at the DLA press this year so there could well be crazy good deals that make a lot of sense.

4. blahspam

blahspam Senior member

Dine LA is a shit show... don't bother. The participants are so overwhelmed by frugal diners that service and quality suffer terribly.

5. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Senior member

Pretty much +1 everything lawyerdad noted about DineLA - but there are always diamonds in the rough - not vouching from this based on personal experience, but Eater LA tends to put out good recommendations - here are their best deals for dinela 2015:

http://la.eater.com/maps/the-25-best-deals-for-dinela-2015

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    restaurants hate dine-la only a little more than they hate valentines and new years eve.

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah I learned that lesson last year. Restaurant weeks have been solid in NorCal but when I went done LA it was terrible. Every meal had some sort of issue. Granted spago in general seems to be terrivle everytime I go (not by choice) and capped it off last visit with soft shell crab sauced with 'amazing homemade sauce inspired by asian cusine' that was actually just a standard sauce you can buy in a grocery store in Asia

8. LALurker

LALurker Senior member

govt should put some regulations restricting on naming of dishes on a menu.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I don't know if you're paraphrasing or quoting, but as a matter of principle (admittedly the only real principle involved is me being persnickety) I refuse to order anything on a restaurant menu that is described as "homemade" unless I have some reason to believe the chef is really making it at home and bringing it to work in tupperware. Pretty sure that's not happening at Spago.

10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I'd only order it if I got the tupperware too.

1 person likes this.
  11. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Going to Bestia tonight. Benn there before, but forgot the must order items. What can't be missed....?

12. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

The uni past

the uni pasta

13. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Done

14. doctorman

doctorman Senior member

funny you mention "crappy service". i don't mind so much of the restricted choices or even the crowds, but what i don't get is the seemingly poor service in some supposedly good restaurants. it's as if we are treated differently because we are paying a little less...

1 person likes this.
  15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Agreed @doctorman. I've gotten lucky and been to a couple that have been pretty good, but the reviews I've read lately mostly indicate it's not worth it. Seems counterproductive if the goal is to broaden your customer base.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  16. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

late to this. restaurant attitudes toward dine la are not uniform, of course, but there is a prevalent one of "we're deep in the weeds because of the crowd and we're never going to see most of these cheapskates again". which may or may not be factual.

17. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

This is entirely understandable… I get it. But regardless of whether people are just trying it out (and potentially returning) or trying to save money (one-time cheapskates), if the experience suffers so much as a result of the logistics/concept, then the restaurant loses anyway no?

18. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

you're perfectly right. but when a waiter gets in the weeds, "reasonable" goes out the window.

19. jet

jet Senior member

i hate how idiots bring down the rating of a nice place based on a dinela experience

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I agree as far as your statement goes, but you could have boiled it down to this and I'd still agree.