• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sugarfish (Studio City) is nice but I prefer Asanebo. Sugarfish reminds me of the mass-assembly sushi teishoku places in Tokyo--decent quality but a very sterile and assembly line presentation. Asanebo also has a lot more variety of things that you don't typically see in LA. The last time I was at Asanebo, I got sazae served flaming in the shell, shirako in a light ponzu, and a couple of other really awesome items. Still reeling from the price tag though.

Another idea one for the east siders is Nishi-ya, on Victory on the Glendale-Burbank border. It's actually better than most of the places on Sushi Row in Studio City (which may be damning with faint praise, since a lot of the places in Studio City suck) and it's right at the 5/134 junction.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few lesser-known places

Shinano in monterey park has very good sushi, for the price.

Min's kitchen in La Canada has great thai food, if you happen to end up in La Canada...a...

Western Doma in Korea Town has great, cheap korean food.

Has LAMILL been mentioned? Everything about this place is good: great coffee, great food, easy parking, very comfortable place to sit and read/talk (unlike most every other coffee shop...)

Min's? LOL. The Egg Foo Yung and Wor Wonton Soup are so authentic.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Will check nishi-ya when I'm in the area.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Trust me, don't be a food cock.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to Sushi Zo again, and I have to give it an edge over Mori. Fresher fish, more inventive sauces, and more interesting salts (e.g., truffle salt, lemon salts, some thousand-year old salt...haha).

Some standout pieces were the sarawa, black snapper with truffle salt, a huge piece of Uni, steamed monkfish liver, and the toro and blue crab hand rolls, of course.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone been to Littlefork in Hollywood? Made a res there for me and my girl, wanting to know if it's worth it.

istasi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have an internship in downtown LA this summer, been looking for a sublet on craigslist and coming up empty so far.. anywhere else I should be looking? needs to be near public transit as I won't have a car

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Westside Rentals.... That site still relevant?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

I went to Sushi Zo again, and I have to give it an edge over Mori. Fresher fish, more inventive sauces, and more interesting salts (e.g., truffle salt, lemon salts, some thousand-year old salt...haha).

Some standout pieces were the sarawa, black snapper with truffle salt, a huge piece of Uni, steamed monkfish liver, and the toro and blue crab hand rolls, of course.

what's the range? i'd like to try it and offer an opinion since you seem to favor it

Magic1

Reaction score
retro, have you eaten there? personally, I really don't care about authenticity, I just want my food to taste good. and it's la canada, I mean, yeah.

istasi, have you tried this service: https://www.padmapper.com/ ?

might be some help. Not having a car is going to be tough...

Oh, in Claremont (again, try not to go there...), there's the Back Abbey.

Ricky's Fish tacos is great, cheap. I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before, but I haven't seen it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics