• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Leather Artisans Appreciation Thread

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
most of the belt makers here have only a limited supply of buckles, like 6-10 styles which are pretty standard. I don't believe that finding unique buckles is a good use of their time. They can all however make the belts with snaps or chicago screws so that you can change the buckle out for anything you find on your own provided it's the right size for the belt. GL.

biggrin.gif
Yeah thought so, was just checking. I'll probably be going with something like the one you got, looks really solid. Going for a thinner one though

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most of the belt makers here have only a limited supply of buckles, like 6-10 styles which are pretty standard. I don't believe that finding unique buckles is a good use of their time. They can all however make the belts with snaps or chicago screws so that you can change the buckle out for anything you find on your own provided it's the right size for the belt. GL.
exactly what i did on my last Unlucky order:

Hi, Scott! i'm revising my belt order as follows:

(1) natural Wicket&Craig Harness belt__ veg tanned :: brass garisson buckle :: size= 36" [from tip of prong to 3rd hole] :: tip= Long B

(1) espresso Horween Double Horsehide belt :: black thread edge stitching :: nickel garisson buckle :: size= 36" [from tip of prong to 3rd hole used] :: tip= Short B

***if possible, screwed on fastners/snaps, so i can switch buckles.

tnx&rgds,

Carl

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is surprisingly difficult to find quality buckles. One has to wade through millions of ****** buckles to find the good ones.

IMO, snaps are too bulky, and screws are much better. Or, One could send the buckle to the person making the belt if stitching was preferred.

SwimCap

Reaction score
Unlucky (Scott Willis) made me this briefcase. He was fantastic to work with. I think we exchanged about 25 emails back and forth on the design. The bag is Wicket and Craig veg-tanned cowhide (5/6 oz). The interior pockets are front quarter horse. The straps are veg-tanned horse-butt. The lining on the flap is veg-tanned pigskin. He oiled, conditioned and waxed the bag down before he sent it to me. I put the bag in the sun for a couple of hours and you can see how it turned the color (photo with front flap open) of the bag from the photos. Hopefully, you can see some of the character/grain/patina in the leather. It fills the room with that leather aroma, and looks amazing. Scott was great to deal with through the whole matter. It took some time (January first email inquiry - to April delivery), but for a bag that hopefully lasts a long time, that's OK with me, as I enjoyed the process of learning about leather...and knowing what I was getting from Scott each step of the way. Plus I knew he had a belt order of 70 belts (the Joe Hill - check styleforums to see that belt) that he was working to complete during this time frame. He was such a great guy about the time frame that he insisted on throwing in the two belts that I had also ordered, for free! (and two tins of his own conditioner) The belts are incredible too! I am very pleased with Scott and his work and have already inquired about a wallet next. If you're thinking about getting something from Scott, I would highly recommend going for it. He was patient and polite with all of my "rookie-questions" about leather, with getting me information on the leather, what he could and could not do, the potential designs, etc.
front-close.jpg
Closeup.jpg
originalcolor.jpg
Side-closed.jpg
side-open.jpg
Back-angle.jpg
inside.jpg

alexanduh

Reaction score
the navy is pretty nice

kartiboys

Reaction score
excuse me, where i can get unlucky wallet, anybody have a official web for unlucky ? thx
biggrin.gif

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm mesmerized by the construction of these Il Bussetto coin pouches. It looks like the lid snaps down over the pouch, and there is no stitching. How is this even possible??
HI7z9.jpg
ilZ6E.jpg

islay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raven37457
Here are some pics I took of the belts Scott (unlucky) made for me. These are very thick. Thanks again!

DSCF0001-10.jpg

Very thick cowhide tan/brown
DSCF0006-6.jpg

Very thick cowhide blue dye
DSCF0005-6.jpg

Not as thick as the others. Cowhide waxy black harness. The leather feels wet. More on the leather here:
http://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/20...s-belt-update/
DSCF0002-13.jpg

I have a waxy harness bet from scott and there is a problem in my opinion with this material. it gets deformed in the edges with the pressure of the buckle, and it can get very noticeable, I would not recommend this material

islay

Reaction score
Hi, I am sorry , I think the buckle has to do with this, I been checking your photos and you did not seen to have that problem in your belt, mine has a garrison buckle and that pression with sharper buckle edges has deformed very ogly that whole part part of the belt and the closer area

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads