The Official Kiya chocolate thread (no bonbons)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LA Guy, Jan 27, 2011.

1. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

Kiya -

I'd be interested in knowing what your favorite beer and chocolate pairing is? Do you prefer porters, stouts, seasonals like winter warmer, belgian brown?

I'll take a look at The Brewmaster's Bible by Oliver when I go home tonight to see what he has to say on the subject.

Stouts which aren't heavy on the smoke go very well with medium body dark chocolates, if you're going with milk chocolate or anything below 60% a porter can do well, just need to make sure to stay away from anything that's overly effervescent as it doesn't get along with chocolate when it comes to the mouthfeel.

2. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

nobody's tried Kee's ?

3. kiya

nobody's tried Kee's ?

Check the thread title.

4. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

useless

anyway i will derail thread for a second by saying i tried her saffron choc. and it was awful then i told her her saffron supply sucked and was a bunch of yellow hay and i said i got some good ish i'd bring if she made me free bonbons but i never went back after.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ya'll are some big timers. I shop at Whole Foods for my addiction. My choices:

Endangered Species 72% (its the one with the chimpanzee in the picture) - super smooth. Their 88% isn't too bad if you're looking for something extra potent (that's the Black Panther)

El Rey Apamate 73.5 - You have to go to the specialty section for this. Its usually wrapped in plastic . Probably even smoother than the ES but its not cut up into cubes so its harder for me to weigh.

Schaarfen Barger 82% - Probably my favorite 80+ bar

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

will you be selling chocolate at SE in the near future?

7. Theory

Theory Senior member

look up christopher elbow

pretty awesome

8. kiya

Got my hands two bars of Domori's new Cacao Teyuna. 70%, single origin, Colombia... Domori is my favorite bar company, they nail their flavors and have done amazing things with the invigoration of dead species of beans which were wiped out many years ago due to natural disasters in the Caribbean and Central America. The Teyuna is an instant winner, amazing scents come off as the chocolate is rubbed a bit with hints of clove and nutmeg. As it melts in your mouth there's a strong overtone of cashews, almonds, and a very strong sweetness that lingers. Very nice for their newest effort, buy this shit now. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Kiya - I know they're now a bit below your tastes but have you sampled all the selections your local Whole Foods has to offer? I'm curious as to what else might be worth trying there.

10. kiya

Kiya - I know they're now a bit below your tastes but have you sampled all the selections your local Whole Foods has to offer? I'm curious as to what else might be worth trying there.

I honestly haven't checked out WF's chocolate selection in a long while.
    Normally when a bar company makes it into WF their production skyrockets and quality drops.
    Dolfin chocolate is a good example, they used to make great chocolates 10 years ago, now their stuff to me is on the same level as Scharffen Berger.

11. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

this thread rocks.

See's story is hilarious. I used to bring that to my parents in Michigan when I was in college in the bay

12. giony

giony Senior member

I like dark chocolate bar, usually get them from Michel Cluizel NYC stores or online at Scharffen Berger.
    [​IMG]

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

So are Cluizel, Scharffenberger and Callebaut the Citizens of Humanity of chocolates?

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Got my hands two bars of Domori's new Cacao Teyuna.
    70%, single origin, Colombia... Domori is my favorite bar company, they nail their flavors and have done amazing things with the invigoration of dead species of beans which were wiped out many years ago due to natural disasters in the Caribbean and Central America.

The Teyuna is an instant winner, amazing scents come off as the chocolate is rubbed a bit with hints of clove and nutmeg. As it melts in your mouth there's a strong overtone of cashews, almonds, and a very strong sweetness that lingers. Very nice for their newest effort, buy this shit now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Haha. I had a few bars of this. Just bought it based on the name. Had no idea it was new. But I knew it was good. I definitely got the almonds.
    and cashews (though I couldn't name it till just now.) This, and the Jamaican from Amedei were huge hits. The Amedei has intense berry.

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I've been enjoying Askinosie and Patric quite a bit lately, they have a lot of character.

Never really thought about matching with beer since I usually do a red wine match, but I will have to think about it.