• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the one-button peak lapel is still considered casual. I had a Phineas Cole in that configuration but rarely wore it. The only peak lapels I have left are double-breasted except for my RLBL tux.

I notice Tom Ford is trending with two-button peak lapels as business suits. From Nieman Marcus:

View attachment 1224277
I thought that trend had peaked. Ha ha ... Seriously, though, I thought the whole single breasted peak lapel thing was kind of cooling off

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that there is now a Saks Off 5th in downtown DC near Metro Center where the Barnes and Noble used to be. Stumbled on it the other day and was very surprised when they told me it's been there for three years. I figured I'd just look inside and walked out with a $500 credit card bill after I fell for a Luciano Barbera sportcoat. Never had one before, but it's just so comfortable. There was some nice mainline Canali and Corneliani in there, along with the usual HF outlet stuff.
I didn't realize that there is now a Saks Off 5th in downtown DC near Metro Center where the Barnes and Noble used to be. Stumbled on it the other day and was very surprised when they told me it's been there for three years. I figured I'd just look inside and walked out with a $500 credit card bill after I fell for a Luciano Barbera sportcoat. Never had one before, but it's just so comfortable. There was some nice mainline Canali and Corneliani in there, along with the usual HF outlet stuff.

Oh yeah. Nordstrom's Rack where the bookstore was and Saks Off 5th at the other end of the block. Catch them at the right time and $500 can go a long way

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s very hit or miss at outlets. Congrats!

omgitswes

Reaction score
Posted a while back about the possibility of moving to the area, and figuring out where to live. Was originially wanting the live in the Falls Church area, but my girlfriend works in Crystal City and wasn't too crazy about that idea.

I accepted a job near Union Station and we will be living in Pentagon City. The metro from Pentagon City to Union Station doesn't seem bad, just have to transfer once. Cost is going to add up though, guess it'll be similar to gas if I had to drive everyday. Pretty excited, just need to find a new barber in Arlington now

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posted a while back about the possibility of moving to the area, and figuring out where to live. Was originially wanting the live in the Falls Church area, but my girlfriend works in Crystal City and wasn't too crazy about that idea.

I accepted a job near Union Station and we will be living in Pentagon City. The metro from Pentagon City to Union Station doesn't seem bad, just have to transfer once. Cost is going to add up though, guess it'll be similar to gas if I had to drive everyday. Pretty excited, just need to find a new barber in Arlington now
Congrats! DC is a fun city despite the politics.

omgitswes

Reaction score
Congrats! DC is a fun city despite the politics.

Thanks! I've spent a ton of time in the area in the last couple of years. I really like DC and Northern Virginia. DC itself is more fast paced than I'm used to in Alabama. That's why I'm glad I'll be living in Pentagon City instead of inside DC. Pentagon City is pretty lowkey from what I could tell from my past visits. Other than at the mall, wasn't too many people coming in and out. And whenever I do need to go into DC or even Northern Arlington for bars and restaurants, the metro is pretty close by

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I've spent a ton of time in the area in the last couple of years. I really like DC and Northern Virginia. DC itself is more fast paced than I'm used to in Alabama. That's why I'm glad I'll be living in Pentagon City instead of inside DC. Pentagon City is pretty lowkey from what I could tell from my past visits. Other than at the mall, wasn't too many people coming in and out. And whenever I do need to go into DC or even Northern Arlington for bars and restaurants, the metro is pretty close by

I think the prices for rent and housing in pentagon city will increase with amazon coming to the area.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got to see a proper rock n roll band last night.

E4FF31A0-9ADF-4D56-916D-7ED7480A9F43.jpeg

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was reading that the Nats game was so long last night (they lost in 14) that the Raconteurs were at the game, left to play their show, and then made it back for the last few innings.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our building is run by Equity Residential and they jack up the rent every year. I think we are moving in the Spring. Need a new place in Arlington somewhere.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Welcome to DC! Don't believe all the negative things you hear about the area. DC is a great city full of smart and interesting people. Honestly, the worst thing about DC is that we don't seem to have four seasons anymore: we have summer and winter and a two-week "bridge" of mild weather between the two on both ends. I cry to myself looking at all the beautiful clothes in my wardrobe that are perfect for low-50s to low-70s weather that I rarely get to wear.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our building is run by Equity Residential and they jack up the rent every year. I think we are moving in the Spring. Need a new place in Arlington somewhere.

Do you plan on staying in North Arlington?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
in terms of a barber, I used Grooming Lounge by Farragut Square

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads