• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D.C. is open about the safety-related reasons for choosing to post speed cameras where they do. For instance, you can see the report about the NY Ave. eastbound camera that you referenced here:
I don't discount that these cameras generate money. I also realize that some cameras less effective than others. Whether you choose to believe city or not is one thing, but the city at least provides some amount of transparency for its choices.

To be honest, as a D.C. resident, I strongly support catching and fining people speeding or committing other infractions as they race to leave the city. I live in Capitol Hill. There are several streets, like Maryland Ave., that are major arteries for Maryland drivers coming and going from the city. I don't mind non-D.C. drivers using the city roads and accept that this is where I have chosen to live. However, I do mind when they disobey traffic laws aimed at public safety. Capitol Hill is a residential neighborhood with a large number of families and many children, including my own. It is infuriating watching cars with out-of-state tags speeding, rolling through stop signs, flying through pedestrian walks with people in the road, etc. I see it everyday, and it can be incredibly unsafe. Use our streets. Just use them safely.

I was going 41 mph on Nebraska ave. A reasonable speed :rolleyes:

aelred

Reaction score
Cameras have also (in general) been shown to increase accidents last time I checked. Most yellow time has been decreased as a means to drive up "funding", because revenue sharing is a thing.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cameras have also (in general) been shown to increase accidents last time I checked. Most yellow time has been decreased as a means to drive up "funding", because revenue sharing is a thing.

It sounds like you may be referring to red light cameras, which have had mixed results across the country. We were discussing speed cameras, which have been very effective across the country. Regardless, both types have been effective at reducing crashes and injuries in D.C. Here are results from a study, which I linked earlier, that D.C. conducted using data from its cameras between 2009 to 2016:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, since this thread is in the CM section....I grabbed my new sport coat from Mashburn yesterday. Their Scuderi stuff fits me a little snug so I went for 54 instead of my usual 52. Got the high-twist English wool with ticket pocket. Makes for a great summer sport coat that's formal enough for work. Had a nice chat with the sales reps as well. Good guys. Sale is over and they have their fall stuff out now for the most part.

Celebrated with a crab cake appetizer and Raven Pilsner at Martin's Tavern next door. Kind of annoyed to have to Uber to Georgetown. Snobbish dummies should have put a Metro station in when they had the chance.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always amazing to see the sense of entitlement amongst people who operate these extremely dangerous and environmentally harmful machines. They kill thousands of people, are destroying the planet, get billions in public subsidies, and any attempt to curtail my absolute right to use them however I see fit is creeping fascism. Go the speed limit or pay the fine.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, since this thread is in the CM section....I grabbed my new sport coat from Mashburn yesterday. Their Scuderi stuff fits me a little snug so I went for 54 instead of my usual 52. Got the high-twist English wool with ticket pocket. Makes for a great summer sport coat that's formal enough for work. Had a nice chat with the sales reps as well. Good guys. Sale is over and they have their fall stuff out now for the most part.

Celebrated with a crab cake appetizer and Raven Pilsner at Martin's Tavern next door. Kind of annoyed to have to Uber to Georgetown. Snobbish dummies should have put a Metro station in when they had the chance.

Pics of the new jacket in the wild, please :)

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always amazing to see the sense of entitlement amongst people who operate these extremely dangerous and environmentally harmful machines. They kill thousands of people, are destroying the planet, get billions in public subsidies, and any attempt to curtail my absolute right to use them however I see fit is creeping fascism. Go the speed limit or pay the fine.

:freeze:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, sorry I may have gone a little overboard with that response! Clearly traffic policy is one of my buttons.

Speaking of buttons (and bringing this back to CM conveniently), any thoughts on whether peak lapels should be reserved for double breasted suits? Does a peak w/ a single breasted, 2-button suit jacket come across as affected or anachronistic?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, sorry I may have gone a little overboard with that response! Clearly traffic policy is one of my buttons.

Speaking of buttons (and bringing this back to CM conveniently), any thoughts on whether peak lapels should be reserved for double breasted suits? Does a peak w/ a single breasted, 2-button suit jacket come across as affected or anachronistic?
I think the one-button peak lapel is still considered casual. I had a Phineas Cole in that configuration but rarely wore it. The only peak lapels I have left are double-breasted except for my RLBL tux.

I notice Tom Ford is trending with two-button peak lapels as business suits. From Nieman Marcus:

Capture.JPG

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you wear a peak lapel SB with confidence, like it belongs on you, I say no problem at all. (This assumes that the jacket is the correct size on you...)

That said, I think peak lapels look better with DBs.

Last edited:

EzraPaul

Reaction score
Then the city would make more money from the even-bigger fine of damaging city property! I would prefer a car grill-mounted laser that fries the camera lenses from a distance.

Heading to Mashburn to pick up summer blazer this afternoon. I'm still amazed they only charge $55 for working buttonholes. I should have bought it in May of course.

There are some brands that don’t charge at all for working buttonholes ;)

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I find it really annoying trying to get to Georgetown, and almost never go there for that reason.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that there is now a Saks Off 5th in downtown DC near Metro Center where the Barnes and Noble used to be. Stumbled on it the other day and was very surprised when they told me it's been there for three years. I figured I'd just look inside and walked out with a $500 credit card bill after I fell for a Luciano Barbera sportcoat. Never had one before, but it's just so comfortable. There was some nice mainline Canali and Corneliani in there, along with the usual HF outlet stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads