• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could spray paint the lenses of those cameras in retaliation.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could spray paint the lenses of those cameras in retaliation.
Then the city would make more money from the even-bigger fine of damaging city property! I would prefer a car grill-mounted laser that fries the camera lenses from a distance.

Heading to Mashburn to pick up summer blazer this afternoon. I'm still amazed they only charge $55 for working buttonholes. I should have bought it in May of course.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then the city would make more money from the even-bigger fine of damaging city property! I would prefer a car grill-mounted laser that fries the camera lenses from a distance.

Heading to Mashburn to pick up summer blazer this afternoon. I'm still amazed they only charge $55 for working buttonholes. I should have bought it in May of course.

I read somewhere that collection agencies will no longer pursue unpaid tickets but they didn’t list D.C. and Virginia as the states of interest. Which means I have to pay up :rolleyes:.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that collection agencies will no longer pursue unpaid tickets but they didn’t list D.C. and Virginia as the states of interest. Which means I have to pay up :rolleyes:.

Every now and then I receive mail attempting to collect on a parking ticket that I got back in 05 in Denver on a rental car

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it rolls of your credit report after 7 years, I wouldn't pay that ish.

It never showed up on my report in the first place so I found it funny that damn near 15 years later Joe Blow Collections is still trying to get money

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It never showed up on my report in the first place so I found it funny that damn near 15 years later Joe Blow Collections is still trying to get money

I definitely did not pay my parking tickets from college.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its been a while but I've been caught by them as well. I don't think they are a deterrent, just a money-maker for the city.

1) My city of residence has to pay for all the outsiders (NOVA and Maryland workers, tourists, etc.) who use our extensive city services on a daily basis. We don’t have a lot of residents, but we have to support a lot of non-residents who don’t contribute much to our tax base. Cut us some slack, if we need to raise some cash.

2) The cameras and large fines are definitely a deterrent. They are part of DC’s Vision Zero program, which (unrealistically) aims to cut roadway-related deaths to zero by 2024. There’s lots of stuff from Vision Zero that you benefit from, like all the extensive bike lanes the city has created. Let’s call it even for the occasional ticket.

If you’re bored, you can read a study from the DC Department of Transportation on the effectiveness of cameras here:

Vision Zero is interesting. A lot of good ideas. A lot of annoying ones.

trafficjam

Reaction score
I, too, hate breaking the law, being caught, and then punished for it by the statutes of jurisdiction.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cameras are a scam. Case in point: the one on NY Avenue over by the arboretum, about 1/4 mile before the city limit. That is a way to extract cash from people leaving the city.

Ditto with the one on South Dakota Ave just before you get on the highway. Loyal highway robbery

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) My city of residence has to pay for all the outsiders (NOVA and Maryland workers, tourists, etc.) who use our extensive city services on a daily basis. We don’t have a lot of residents, but we have to support a lot of non-residents who don’t contribute much to our tax base. Cut us some slack, if we need to raise some cash.

2) The cameras and large fines are definitely a deterrent. They are part of DC’s Vision Zero program, which (unrealistically) aims to cut roadway-related deaths to zero by 2024. There’s lots of stuff from Vision Zero that you benefit from, like all the extensive bike lanes the city has created. Let’s call it even for the occasional ticket.

If you’re bored, you can read a study from the DC Department of Transportation on the effectiveness of cameras here:

Vision Zero is interesting. A lot of good ideas. A lot of annoying ones.

They should have plenty of funds now that the whole city is practically gentrified.

GheeButtersnaps

Reaction score
Argghhh those stupid DC speed traps caught me going 41 mph in 30 mph zone. Is it just me or does anyone else find those camera's shady?

I remember first moving to the area and getting 3 in quick succession because of the delay in receiving the notice; it took like 2-3 weeks for the initial fine to arrive. This is the primary reason I use Waze now.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cameras are a scam. Case in point: the one on NY Avenue over by the arboretum, about 1/4 mile before the city limit. That is a way to extract cash from people leaving the city.

Ditto with the one on South Dakota Ave just before you get on the highway. Loyal highway robbery

D.C. is open about the safety-related reasons for choosing to post speed cameras where they do. For instance, you can see the report about the NY Ave. eastbound camera that you referenced here:
I don't discount that these cameras generate money. I also realize that some cameras less effective than others. Whether you choose to believe city or not is one thing, but the city at least provides some amount of transparency for its choices.

To be honest, as a D.C. resident, I strongly support catching and fining people speeding or committing other infractions as they race to leave the city. I live in Capitol Hill. There are several streets, like Maryland Ave., that are major arteries for Maryland drivers coming and going from the city. I don't mind non-D.C. drivers using the city roads and accept that this is where I have chosen to live. However, I do mind when they disobey traffic laws aimed at public safety. Capitol Hill is a residential neighborhood with a large number of families and many children, including my own. It is infuriating watching cars with out-of-state tags speeding, rolling through stop signs, flying through pedestrian walks with people in the road, etc. I see it everyday, and it can be incredibly unsafe. Use our streets. Just use them safely.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads