• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever been to 12 Stories lounge on the Wharf? I've heard mixed reviews: nice crowd, good bartender/drinks but slow service
Nope but I went to La Vie after they claimed to have made changes after getting that horrible review in the Post. That place is not long for this world...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this on Twitter today:

9FFE8AAD-579C-4E37-9EE1-D128C534FD1D.jpeg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope but I went to La Vie after they claimed to have made changes after getting that horrible review in the Post. That place is not long for this world...

Sounds like the Wharf is the new Georgetown Waterfront: People go for the view and location, so restaurants have little incentive to produce good food and drink.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the Wharf is the new Georgetown Waterfront: People go for the view and location, so restaurants have little incentive to produce good food and drink.
Agreed. I usually only go to the Wharf to see a show at the Anthem. Kind of a captive audience in that area so I imagine the restaurants can get lazy. As that entire area develops new places will pop up hopefully.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know when the second phase of the wharf will be finished?

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I usually only go to the Wharf to see a show at the Anthem. Kind of a captive audience in that area so I imagine the restaurants can get lazy. As that entire area develops new places will pop up hopefully.
Went to a show at Anthem last week and got their Wharffle (Belgian waffle with chocolate dipping sauce). I was drunk at the time but still though it was a damned delicious waffle.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been out for drinks at the Wharf a few times and have been underwhelmed each time. The view from Whiskey Charlie was great though. TikiTNT was actually very cool with good vibes, view, and decent hh but nothing about it beckons me back. Navy Yard however surprises me each time I'm there (2-3 times a year).

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been out for drinks at the Wharf a few times and have been underwhelmed each time. The view from Whiskey Charlie was great though. TikiTNT was actually very cool with good vibes, view, and decent hh but nothing about it beckons me back. Navy Yard however surprises me each time I'm there (2-3 times a year).
Definitely agree. Whaley's, Due South, and Osteria Morini are all in that same Yards Marina area and are all better than anything on the Wharf. I think the key draw on the wharf is the view and the music.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree. Whaley's, Due South, and Osteria Morini are all in that same Yards Marina area and are all better than anything on the Wharf. I think the key draw on the wharf is the view and the music.

I get that opinions about restaurants are totally subjective, but this is forgetting about some pretty damn good restaurants at the Wharf.

Kwame Onwuachi, who is the chef at Kith/Kin, just won the James Beard Award for Rising Star Chef of the Year for the entire country. It's a truly incredible honor and a reflection of his impressive work at Kith/Kin. Del Mar gets consistently fantastic reviews, including being listed at 14th on Washingtonian's 100 best restaurant list. Both of those places are high end, though. Kaliwa and Officina are also very solid places and more reasonably priced. Whaley's and Due South are ... fine. I do like Osteria Morini, though.

Overall, I greatly prefer the vibe of Navy Yard to the Wharf. There's more variety and diversity of options for bars, resturants, and just hanging out, especially if you include places like Salt Line, All Purpose, and Bardo on the other side of the stadium. There's more space around Navy Yard to hang out. It feels more authentic, and it's more of a spot for locals. The Wharf has a kinda fake vibe, like one of those faux-towns created by Disney. It attracts, for lack of a better phrase, a bridge and tunnel crowd. And a lot of tourists. It always feels super crowded down there. Getting there is a pain **********, and parking is annoying as ****.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get that opinions about restaurants are totally subjective, but this is forgetting about some pretty damn good restaurants at the Wharf.

Kwame Onwuachi, who is the chef at Kith/Kin, just won the James Beard Award for Rising Star Chef of the Year for the entire country. It's a truly incredible honor and a reflection of his impressive work at Kith/Kin. Del Mar gets consistently fantastic reviews, including being listed at 14th on Washingtonian's 100 best restaurant list. Both of those places are high end, though. Kaliwa and Officina are also very solid places and more reasonably priced. Whaley's and Due South are ... fine. I do like Osteria Morini, though.

Overall, I greatly prefer the vibe of Navy Yard to the Wharf. There's more variety and diversity of options for bars, resturants, and just hanging out, especially if you include places like Salt Line, All Purpose, and Bardo on the other side of the stadium. There's more space around Navy Yard to hang out. It feels more authentic, and it's more of a spot for locals. The Wharf has a kinda fake vibe, like one of those faux-towns created by Disney. It attracts, for lack of a better phrase, a bridge and tunnel crowd. And a lot of tourists. It always feels super crowded down there. Getting there is a pain **********, and parking is annoying as ****.
Yeah I was probably being to dismissive of the restaurants at the wharf. La Vie just royally pissed me off. I actually kind of like the amusement park feel of it. There are so few places these days where you can get away from cars and traffic and just walk freely. I think it'll probably continue to get a mix of tourists and locals.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads