• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should add that North Arlington feels more neighborhood-y to me than Pentagon City, which seems overly commercial and lacking in green spaces. For the same reason I would not live in Pentagon City, I would not live in the Penn Quarter or Wharf areas of DC. Personal preference, YMMV.

omgitswes

Reaction score
Unless things have changed recently, Pentagon City is pretty dead on the weekend. A few years ago, I went on a bar crawl with friends at Pentagon Row (the area around the skating rink), and our group took over every bar we were in. I suspect that people who live in Pentagon City go to North Arlington or DC for fun on Friday and Saturday night.

Idk man, the Whole Foods bar I would drink at seemed pretty lively lol.
I totally understand what you're getting at. Didn't go out exploring too much the times I was there. But it did seem more commercial. I just liked how there wasn't a ton of foot traffic

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idk man, the Whole Foods bar I would drink at seemed pretty lively lol.
I totally understand what you're getting at. Didn't go out exploring too much the times I was there. But it did seem more commercial. I just liked how there wasn't a ton of foot traffic

:( Yeah but its whole food's. There isn't a ton of foot traffic in ballston and clarendon until friday and saturday nights. And that's mainly the main strip of Wilson Boulevard.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:( Yeah but its whole food's. There isn't a ton of foot traffic in ballston and clarendon until friday and saturday nights. And that's mainly the main strip of Wilson Boulevard.
Works for me. I like it walkable from my apartment. We usually go into DC otherwise.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to stay under 3k for a 2 bed 2 bath, under 2800 would be ideal. I wasn't crazy about Old Town when I went out there last weekend, I do like Arlington though it's just pricier. One of the places in Falls Church I found was on West Broad Street

We're both in our late 20's btw.

I'll keep looking around in the Arlington area. It'll be much easier to decide once I figure out where I'll be working.
Are you definitely committed to NOVA? When I lived in downtown Silver Spring a couple of years back I was paying 2200 for a 1200 sq ft 2 bed/2bath. Tons of great bars and restaurants, too.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you definitely committed to NOVA? When I lived in downtown Silver Spring a couple of years back I was paying 2200 for a 1200 sq ft 2 bed/2bath. Tons of great bars and restaurants, too.

His girlfriend got a job in Arlington. Silver Spring is a nice area but I wouldn’t make that commute.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mod request to change thread name to Official-ish NOVA Thread?

:colgate:

"DC" is pretty much a stand-in for "DMV," because no one outside the area would understand that term. I grew up in Montgomery County but tell everybody I'm from DC. :hide:

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Born in the district. Didn’t actually live here past the age of 1 and grew-up elsewhere. Have lived in the district for pushing 20 years now. We send our kid to school in NOVA, so I can’t be entirely anti-NOVA.

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in the district. Didn’t actually live here past the age of 1 and grew-up elsewhere. Have lived in the district for pushing 20 years now. We send our kid to school in NOVA, so I can’t be entirely anti-NOVA.
Been living in the district for 10 years now minus 2 year stint in Silver Spring. College at GW in the early 00's, born at Walter Reed (but grew up in MoCo and then in Delaware). I mostly just say I'm from DC since I'll never publicly admit to being from Delaware.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Headed up to Frederick for lunch and my nephew’s graduation party. Had time to stop by Clarksburg outlets. Very depressing.

Many stores now closed and papered over. Paul Stuart store had 20% off but maybe half the inventory they used to have. They couldn’t even fill up the store. I could be wrong but it had “closing soon” written all over it.

Zegna was fully stocked but I didn’t need anything. Think I’ll cross that place off my list of places to visit when passing by.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out on an urban bike ride today. Saw that the Black Cat closed! Had only been there a few times but it was a great grungy place to see newer bands.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, Maybe got it wrong. I thought I saw a for lease sign on it but maybe it was the place next door? I was also trying not to get run over in the traffic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads