• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is my general approach. As time progresses. One in one out until all my rtw stuff is gone. Plus, it helps a little bit with the cost of the new order (albeit not much, but that’s what I tell myself Atleast!)

Might I suggest, if you’re doing a fresco-type fabric, a mid gray or even a light navy / navy? My reasoning on this is that blues are more of a summer color than grays. Whereas, grays, imo because of the weather and clouds, work better in the fall / winter (eg gray flannel suit).

I view blues as more essential than grays for the summer, but there’s certainly nothing wrong with gray. In fact, I’m thinking about doing a gray wool / linen suit for next year (undecided on shade) - the inspiration coming from an old canali I had. But I already have 2 single breasted navy fresco-type suits, a blue db and a blue sb.
Plan is to actually go for non-fresco fall/spring fabric, but not flannel. Something smooth like Smith Woolen Botany (I'll probably go with Botany).

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plan is to actually go for non-fresco fall/spring fabric, but not flannel. Something smooth like Smith Woolen Botany (I'll probably go with Botany).
Oh, okay, I am not sure why I was thinking you were going for a fresco-type fabric. I have no experience with the botany bunch - I think its well-regarded on the boards. I'd definitely vote for that over a brown linen suit - its a lot more versatile.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A somber Memorial Day to all those on this thread who served.
519635.jpg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you ordering from sartoria carrara?

There are some beautiful purple swatches from w. Bill and Loro piana.
This time around nothing. However, I wanted to get aquatinted and have a conversation with Greg as well as get a feel on many fabrics so I can plan for my next piece. Could be a suit or could be a jacket. Likely something that will travel well, be useful as a separate, breathe well. Chances are it will need to be in a flexible color. If it is just a jacket then I may have more flexibility. It will likely need to do a lot for me to justify the cost, but ultimately NMWA will need to fit me decently to even think about it.

The purple jacket was more a nod to you. It was actually quite nice. Everything there was. Still not convinced I can do purple.

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This time around nothing. However, I wanted to get aquatinted and have a conversation with Greg as well as get a feel on many fabrics so I can plan for my next piece. Could be a suit or could be a jacket. Likely something that will travel well, be useful as a separate, breathe well. Chances are it will need to be in a flexible color. If it is just a jacket then I may have more flexibility. It will likely need to do a lot for me to justify the cost, but ultimately NMWA will need to fit me decently to even think about it.

The purple jacket was more a nod to you. It was actually quite nice. Everything there was. Still not convinced I can do purple.
I don’t want to speak for Greg, but, typically if someone travels for a trunk show, it’s expected that the person placed an order. Especially if that time could be used for a customer who is going to place an order. If I recall from earlier in the thread there were members who were doubling up on appointments. Perhaps it’s best if you’re one of those double up appointments. I don’t want to speak for others though, so if you’ve already talked to Greg about this, disregard what I said.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t want to speak for Greg, but, typically if someone travels for a trunk show, it’s expected that the person placed an order. Especially if that time could be used for a customer who is going to place an order. If I recall from earlier in the thread there were members who were doubling up on appointments. Perhaps it’s best if you’re one of those double up appointments. I don’t want to speak for others though, so if you’ve already talked to Greg about this, disregard what I said.
I have and in my appointment I stated as much including if he needed me to give up my partial or whole appointment for someone that was indeed getting something that I would.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have and in my appointment I stated as much including if he needed me to give up my partial or whole appointment for someone that was indeed getting something that I would.
Okay, just trying to be helpful. Didn’t want you to unknowingly be rude. Also. Don’t do a purple jacket. Start with something versatile.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, just trying to be helpful. Didn’t want you to unknowingly be rude. Also. Don’t do a purple jacket. Start with something versatile.
Versatile is what you make it. Maybe speak and ask about his normal week and weekend activities before making recommendation for something versatile.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - so June 7 is approaching fast and I want to make a reservation for that dinner we had discussed. Probably around 7:30-7:45p (after last appointment) near Dupont Circle. Someone suggested Agora, which sounds good to me.

Can I get a headcount? Who is planning on grabbing dinner and drinks with us on June 7?
Shawn here - in for dinner.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time, have fun everyone! Shame I can't make it, but next time!

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I typically go with jackets that work well with my complexion and personality. You’ll have to figure out what works for you.

I’m not sure I have any recommendations for you in regards to your appointment. Depending on what he brings down it will most likely be cloth overload. Just know that these trunk shows are for clothing enthusiast. Most individuals in DC get by just fine with out custom tailoring.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically go with jackets that work well with my complexion and personality. You’ll have to figure out what works for you.

I’m not sure I have any recommendations for you in regards to your appointment. Depending on what he brings down it will most likely be cloth overload. Just know that these trunk shows are for clothing enthusiast. Most individuals in DC get by just fine with out custom tailoring.
Yeah I think I have a pretty good idea of what works for me in my complexion. Warm earthy tones mostly but in summer I get fairly tan so that works also. My wardrobe already had a good outline for it. What I needed is more variety in pants colors and perhaps branching out into a few staple colors like blue. Not to mention gaining experience in using them all appropriately.

I suspected as much with regards to enthusiasts etc. With this visit I will be able to get a better idea for myself specifically. I know I am already finding that at least for Jackets S&M’s fit is practically ideal for my shape with small alterations to sleeve length. And that could very well be enough for me and my needs. However it might be nice to down the road have one or two very nice pieces that were made for me and I get many many many years of use from.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspected as much with regards to enthusiasts etc. With this visit I will be able to get a better idea for myself specifically. I know I am already finding that at least for Jackets S&M’s fit is practically ideal for my shape with small alterations to sleeve length. And that could very well be enough for me and my needs. However it might be nice to down the road have one or two very nice pieces that were made for me and I get many many many years of use from.
If that’s the case let Greg make the recommendation and selections for you. It takes a few orders to figure out what works well for your personality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads