• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is impressive. Im curious what everyones favorite coats are.

Orazio MTM coat in W Bill Shetland Herringbone (cream/black) Tweed

Second place is a Carrara MTM coat in blue (not as dark as navy) linen.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orazio over Carrara? What are the differences?

Measuring and fitting process is the same. Try on a test garment in the shop, measurements taken and sent to factory. Garment arrived finished. No in-between fittings.

The difference is in the finishing. Lots of hand work (including hand padded lapel) on the Orazio. There’s also about $1000 price difference. At the end of the day, is Orazio worth an extra $1000? Likely not. But it’s still my fav sportcoat. But I’m not likely to queue up any more Orazio commissions in the near future. Maybe if get promoted….

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Measuring and fitting process is the same. Try on a test garment in the shop, measurements taken and sent to factory. Garment arrived finished. No in-between fittings.

The difference is in the finishing. Lots of hand work (including hand padded lapel) on the Orazio. There’s also about $1000 price difference. At the end of the day, is Orazio worth an extra $1000? Likely not. But it’s still my fav sportcoat. But I’m not likely to queue up any more Orazio commissions in the near future. Maybe if get promoted….
How does the fit and styling compare? I’ll take styling over hand padded lapels.

anaxagoras

Reaction score
Ugh. Outlets are awful.

Tanger Outlet Mall was awful, but she bought some shorts so I’m ok with that. ;-)

Captain White’s has moved to a new location just around the corner and in partial operation in their parking lot. Very busy.
IMG_8312.jpeg
IMG_8315.jpeg
IMG_8314.jpeg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

orazio is great. It’s classic Napoli, with decent workmanship. Built really well. cant Comment on carrera. It seems to be quite mysterious though. No info online about them.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the fit and styling compare? I’ll take styling over hand padded lapels.

Very similar on both styling and fit.

They’re both pretty traditional Neapolitan style, wide lapels, 3r2, soft shoulders, darted at the front. Orazio has a shoulder that is just a tad more extended a tad more drape in the chest and slightly (very slightly) higher armholes.

Away from home at the moment, so k can’t check, but I think there’s a slight difference in gorge height.

grio1212

Reaction score
2697E2E0-A733-4A4A-AEBD-7ADA71F5D159.jpeg

Shining shoes in the garage.
I had a question about the buffing rags I use. I have one for brown shoes and one for black shoes. Should I wash them after using them in the washing machine or just handwash them?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1965173
I had a question about the buffing rags I use. I have one for brown shoes and one for black shoes. Should I wash them after using them in the washing machine or just handwash them?
I'd avoid the washing machine and you might get polish in it.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1965173
I never wash them. I just see it as leftover polish that I can use next time.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walking out to dinner with wifey. Can't say enough about Fox Bros./Justo Gimeno Teba jackets. Unlined Navy seersucker perfect for this climate. With DBF linen t-shirt and Canali trousers.

IMG_6501.jpeg

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
orazio is great. It’s classic Napoli, with decent workmanship. Built really well. cant Comment on carrera. It seems to be quite mysterious though. No info online about them.
A tailor in Toronto dissected a Carrera that I sent him. He got busy with making things instead of destroying them and hasn’t finished but here’s the start for anyone who wanted to see the guts. Dissection

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tailor in Toronto dissected a Carrera that I sent him. He got busy with making things instead of destroying them and hasn’t finished but here’s the start for anyone who wanted to see the guts. Dissection
Going to get a Carrera suit when NMWA comes to DC next month. I tend to favor a slightly more structured, formal style with suiting (I wear a suit for work almost every day) but can absolutely do more casual suiting if I feel like it. Would it make sense sense to have Carrera do a charcoal business suit or a brown linen suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads