• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh she has lots of fine clothes. Including all sorts of coats. She just thinks the look is old fashioned. I may have to find one thrifting to confirm. Then I can keep it for theme parties. Went to a fun new years one several years ago now. I found out I can pull off a vest and cap then.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I asked the wifey about how she felt regarding double breasted jackets. Solid Hell No no matter how nice or cheaply found. That certainly makes it easier.
I had a DB suit (a formal, navy 6x2) made last year and tbh I probably wouldn't do it again. I get a lot of compliment on it and I think it looks pretty good but I find them cumbersome. Buttoning and unbuttoning the anchor button is a pain and I don't particularly care for the feeling of the extra fabric. Going to stick with SB jackets and suits from now on. DB overcoats, on the other hand, are awesome.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a DB suit (a formal, navy 6x2) made last year and tbh I probably wouldn't do it again. I get a lot of compliment on it and I think it looks pretty good but I find them cumbersome. Buttoning and unbuttoning the anchor button is a pain and I don't particularly care for the feeling of the extra fabric. Going to stick with SB jackets and suits from now on. DB overcoats, on the other hand, are awesome.
Agreed. I have one RLPL DB suit in a very light Navy fabric. I'm down to wearing it occasionally on Fridays as it just doesn't fit in very well anymore. I prefer DB overcoats to SB as well.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a hopsack db from spier that definitely changed my opinion of the pattern of being one for colder temps only to just non-summer.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I asked the wifey about how she felt regarding double breasted jackets. Solid Hell No no matter how nice or cheaply found. That certainly makes it easier.
Are you talking a DB sportcoat or suit for YOU, or for her??

Agreed. I have one RLPL DB suit in a very light Navy fabric. I'm down to wearing it occasionally on Fridays as it just doesn't fit in very well anymore. I prefer DB overcoats to SB as well.

My experience is the opposite, I picked up a solid navy DB from RJ, and it has become my favorite suit. I am looking to add another DB suit to he closet soon.

In my head I look like this:
355161-1642576826.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, Fox Brothers is having an Archive Sale with items left over from their physical sale in the UK. Picked up a pair of their Cricket White flannel trousers for half-off. They almost never have sales so these might be desperate times or just stockroom-clearing. Anyway, lots of coats, jackets, blankets, shirts and other stuff on deep sale.

Total impulse purchase for me as I already have a pair from Berg & Berg. Couldn't resist.

Link came via email. Will try to post here.

https://themerchantfox.us19.list-ma...65fe0702cbf46891ac&id=4ec4558426&e=9fe9e33bd3

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@hpreston anything double breasted. She thinks it is old fashioned or maybe out of style. I didn't push it. I was showing her cool sport coats on the Spier & Mackay site at the time.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh she has lots of fine clothes. Including all sorts of coats. She just thinks the look is old fashioned. I may have to find one thrifting to confirm. Then I can keep it for theme parties. Went to a fun new years one several years ago now. I found out I can pull off a vest and cap then.
Derek Guy started a thread on suits for the Streetwear & Denim crowd. I've forgotten the thread title but there were pics of modern DBs that looked pretty cool. Maybe not my thing exactly but interesting.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to put your foot down and say, "I am the man of the house and will dress as I please!"

Of course I'm unmarried, so I don't know if this line would actually work. :hide:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to put your foot down and say, "I am the man of the house and will dress as I please!"

Of course I'm unmarried, so I don't know if this line would actually work. :hide:
Mine is usually irritated that I've upped her dressing game as I tend to overdue it.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, Fox Brothers is having an Archive Sale with items left over from their physical sale in the UK. Picked up a pair of their Cricket White flannel trousers for half-off. They almost never have sales so these might be desperate times or just stockroom-clearing. Anyway, lots of coats, jackets, blankets, shirts and other stuff on deep sale.

Total impulse purchase for me as I already have a pair from Berg & Berg. Couldn't resist.

Link came via email. Will try to post here.

https://themerchantfox.us19.list-ma...65fe0702cbf46891ac&id=4ec4558426&e=9fe9e33bd3
I was doing such a good job saving money this month!!! You ruined it!

those silk dressing gowns Are nice.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We're talking about them in another thread.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m just imagining showing up to a zoom meeting in a dressing gown. Lol.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better also with a Fez and martini.
I am keeping my powder dry for my trip to Texas next week to see one of my good friends & Lee miller down in Austin. Then another trip to Milan / Rome (those hotels are expensive) at the end of the month. So I have exercised self control today! Haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads