• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a few tuxes at the thrift store yesterday and a few peak lapels. Anyone have Peak lapels here? I wonder if it would make me look wide in a bad way.

I have a Hickey Freeman MTO w peak lapels. I would never wear a dinner suit unless it had peak lapels or a shawl lapel. Notch lapels are not proper. If the lapels are proportional to the jacket, you will not look strange.

I also have two double breasted suits with peak lapels (2nd hand Chittleborough & Morgan). They have strong shoulders as well as the peak lapels. They don't make me look wide, because they fit so well. I think the key to not looking wide is having shoulders that fit and a nipped waist.

anaxagoras

Reaction score
Anyone have Peak lapels here? I wonder if it would make me look wide in a bad way.

This. Tailor thought that lapels should be narrower, and he was probably right.
Haven’t had a chance to wear it in DC yet unfortunately.

Attachments

• 17760F53-6E05-4471-AA28-DA6322D6CFCF.jpeg
    17760F53-6E05-4471-AA28-DA6322D6CFCF.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say the notion that only so and so can pull off a look simply because it's so and so of is one of my biggest bugaboos with the #menswear crowd.
It looks fine (big fan of Anthology's stuff, on the whole), and it would look better as a peak/shawl lapel...and with jetted pockets.
The same holds true for anybody wearing a notch lapel tux, assuming the fit is decent.

Completely agree. I don't even know who he is. Maybe that's a reflection on me, but if he's English, he definitely should know the rules about black tie.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think generally shawls are said to be avoided by, pardon the bluntness, fat round men. One turns a round man into a circle

I guess this is music to my ears since I have a shawl lapel tuxedo & people seem to like it! Haha.

But in all seriousness, I don’t care what anyways says. Tuxedos are peak or shawl lapel. No notch!

Im even okay with double vented tuxedos, but no notch! Looks like a rental tuxedo (not a good look).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turned into a great day!

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I guess this is music to my ears since I have a shawl lapel tuxedo & people seem to like it! Haha.

But in all seriousness, I don’t care what anyways says. Tuxedos are peak or shawl lapel. No notch!

Im even okay with double vented tuxedos, but no notch! Looks like a rental tuxedo (not a good look).

Ironically, I think the rental shops are doing peaks now. The ex-rental tuxes that end up on ebay are peaks, and people reporting their black tie events say that almost everyone wears a jacket with a peak lapel. So, hurrah, they fixed it. I think there was probably a trend in the mid 2000s to 2010s to do notches, potentially as a black-jacket-turned-tux cost savings method.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Auric Goldfinger, a circle? He wore a shawl lapel on his dinner suit, but also on a country suit.

Goldfinger-Silk-Dinner-Jacket-2.jpg
Goldfinger-Checked-Suit-2.jpg

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I asked the wifey about how she felt regarding double breasted jackets. Solid Hell No no matter how nice or cheaply found. That certainly makes it easier.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I asked the wifey about how she felt regarding double breasted jackets. Solid Hell No no matter how nice or cheaply found. That certainly makes it easier.
She likely has no experience wearing them herself or seeing you in them. Get her a pea coat. I bet she'll love it.

I got my wife a nice pea coat from Guideboat that's no longer listed. Just looked and prices are now rock bottom as they are apparently going out of business. They actually make decent stuff for the most part.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads