• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why wifey and I got out there yesterday.
Those were good instincts.

Perhaps you all could answer my question. I have been looking, but perhaps in the wrong place. Is there any comprehensive threads on just posting pocket squares and ones favorites? A show and tell as you like as a resource for what people use and generally like per season or combination.

I am thinking in the same vein of Tweedy’s thread for ties and odd jackets for different seasons which has been an incredible resource of creativity and knowledge for me.

I want to create one for others if not. Especially as ties become less frequent and pocket squares can fill the space for flair on their own.

Last edited:

anaxagoras

Reaction score
Why? Je ne sais quoi. Peaks have not just the formality, but the style and pizzazz matching the occasion. A nice strong peak, too. Shawls have their history in the smoking jacket, and have a cool look of being at home in the clothes, a different kind of cool. Shawl shape is hard to get right, though, and it seems much more personal what people like and appreciate.

For what it’s worth, I had a DJ and trousers made in London a few years ago and had to make all these niggling decisions. Went for peak single.

But what I really learned is that it’s all about creating that upward movement of the eye towards the frame around the face, meaning that it’s your own torso shape that is decisive. And that it’s about not upstaging your partner, so black and midnight remain best.

Having said that I do think that notch is too LA. :)

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry i had too many thoughts in on paragraph. I saw Tuxes that I wasn’t looking for. I definitely single breasted.

The peak lapels was in reference to seeing any which I usually don't. I see lots on the forums here so I am curious what the draw is and is it really for specific body builds. I’m more a trapezoidal now and used to be more upside down triangle.

Im ready to start cooking paella and tapas again!

Peak= Yes
Shawl= Yes
Notch= NO

3bf2d6f2-989c-4990-af24-67abb4af9155_Collar.jpg

Those were good instincts.

Perhaps you all could answer my question. I have been looking, but perhaps in the wrong place. Is there any comprehensive threads on just posting pocket squares and ones favorites? A show and tell as you like as a resource for what people use and generally like per season or combination.

I am thinking in the same vein of Tweedy’s thread for ties and odd jackets for different seasons which has been an incredible resource of creativity and knowledge for me.

I want to create one for others if not. Especially as ties become less frequent and pocket squares can fill the space for flair on their own.

Older thread, not a lot of current traction, but it does already exist.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Perhaps I shall be a grave digger if it fits the bill.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peak= Yes
Shawl= Yes
Notch= NO
Possible exception: if you're Bill Nighy.

He had his made by the Anthology, which is known for their swooping, low gorge notch lapels. Personally I still think he would have looked better with peak or shawl, but who am I to tell Bill Nighy what to do?

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He had his made by the Anthology, which is known for their swooping, low gorge notch lapels. Personally I still think he would have looked better with peak or shawl, but who am I to tell Bill Nighy what to do?

He is a Vampire after all. One does not simply tell a vampire what to do.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or Sean Connery as James Bond in Goldfinger:
James-Bond-Goldfinger-GQ_23July15_rex_b.jpg

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is it required to have an accent to sport a notch lapel tux?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would! "Bill, get your shite together and stick to peak lapels. If you're on your fifth Martini of the evening then go shawl-collar louche you beef-witted Applejohn."

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will say the notion that only so and so can pull off a look simply because it's so and so of is one of my biggest bugaboos with the #menswear crowd.
It looks fine (big fan of Anthology's stuff, on the whole), and it would look better as a peak/shawl lapel...and with jetted pockets.
The same holds true for anybody wearing a notch lapel tux, assuming the fit is decent.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It means that with good looks and a good sense of style, you can get away with almost anything. Having neither, I'll stick to the time-tested basics ;)
To me, it'll simply never not be gobbledygook and rationalizations to refrain from admitting some iconic figure doesn't look, well, iconic in his (or her) garment du jour.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I will say that "get away with" does not mean "looks their best in." I think it means, "looks good enough that only sartorialists on the style forum complain." That's the inherent unfairness of life, ay? We're not all born the same, some people just manage an acceptable level of good-looking a lot easier than others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads