• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about the venue for the one this summer, I think the one next year is a rooftop hotel/lounge type place.

Current tux (thus the trousers) are true midnight.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about the venue for the one this summer, I think the one next year is a rooftop hotel/lounge type place.

Current tux (thus the trousers) are true midnight.
I’d be lying if I said I had any experiences with this level of formality. To me I think they would be fine together from a color perspective? Isn’t there a formal or black tie thread somewhere?

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a few tuxes at the thrift store yesterday and a few peak lapels. Anyone have Peak lapels here? I wonder if it would make me look wide in a bad way.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: received this today:

"I found out from our product manager that the Tuxedo pants only come in regular rise, I measured and the rise is 11 inches."

So the fact that you can select from Regular, or Long rise on the product page means nothing....

Moving on. (sort of)

Here is why I am looking, going to an evening Summer wedding this year, and next (maybe two next year, one date is TBD) I have the midnight tux from Carrara, then i found a very nice SB Shawl Collar off white number (NWT) from Hickey Freeman at a price I could not pass up. So I thought I needed to find separate black tux trousers. Would the midnight stand out against the off white? or be fine?? Am I over thinking this?
Might be over thinking it a bit. Try it on and see what you think? I have no experience with midnight tux but your pics almost looked black. Might pair up swimmingly.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a few tuxes at the thrift store yesterday and a few peak lapels. Anyone have Peak lapels here? I wonder if it would make me look wide in a bad way.
If you are buying a tux definitely go with single breasted, one button peak lapel. Branch out from there once you’ve mastered that combo.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright! Cherry blossoms and Latin Fusion on The Wharf. Went to Flora Flora which turns out to be inside a small, swanky hotel next to Gordon Ramsay’s new place. Not bad but very small menu and mostly ceviche. Nice when it’s hot out but a bit out of place on first days of Spring.

1711B316-D580-443E-8161-D0D7B46E9DEC.jpeg DF08AB79-30A3-464F-A484-F87B78AA3DB8.jpeg 6C6264F0-FEA1-4079-A788-1CEA58B86D9A.jpeg BB3E9EDF-2745-428C-82D6-C2C32EE1EF9E.jpeg A4D7B7DC-3D77-4984-895A-DDC2989ADFDF.jpeg

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are buying a tux definitely go with single breasted, one button peak lapel. Branch out from there once you’ve mastered that combo.
Sorry i had too many thoughts in on paragraph. I saw Tuxes that I wasn’t looking for. I definitely single breasted.

The peak lapels was in reference to seeing any which I usually don't. I see lots on the forums here so I am curious what the draw is and is it really for specific body builds. I’m more a trapezoidal now and used to be more upside down triangle.

Im ready to start cooking paella and tapas again!

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Update: received this today:

"I found out from our product manager that the Tuxedo pants only come in regular rise, I measured and the rise is 11 inches."

So the fact that you can select from Regular, or Long rise on the product page means nothing....

Moving on. (sort of)

Here is why I am looking, going to an evening Summer wedding this year, and next (maybe two next year, one date is TBD) I have the midnight tux from Carrara, then i found a very nice SB Shawl Collar off white number (NWT) from Hickey Freeman at a price I could not pass up. So I thought I needed to find separate black tux trousers. Would the midnight stand out against the off white? or be fine?? Am I over thinking this?

Per the black tie thread: Midnight trousers are fine with ivory jacket.

The only problem is mixing black and midnight. They're close, but not quite close enough that right next to each other they'd pass as the same. (Obviously, otherwise why have midnight?) Black and midnight looks like you just made a mistake.

Midnight and ivory, though, will look the same as black and ivory, unless you're in good daylight. If you are in good daylight, if someone sees midnight instead of black and identifies it, they'll probably know you're fine ;)

Sorry i had too many thoughts in on paragraph. I saw Tuxes that I wasn’t looking for. I definitely single breasted.

The peak lapels was in reference to seeing any which I usually don't. I see lots on the forums here so I am curious what the draw is and is it really for specific body builds. I’m more a trapezoidal now and used to be more upside down triangle.

Im ready to start cooking paella and tapas again!

Black tie has been done with notch lapels many a time, as in-period photos and illustrations show, from pretty much the first years of the popularity of the dinner jacket. But... a notch lapel just seems to be missing something, when you make it a dinner jacket. So the best options for most are the peak and shawl.

Ten years ago it seemed like rental places had a lot of notches, but (thankfully) that seems over now? Per people's accounts. Peaks are standard. Shawl is cool.

Why? Je ne sais quoi. Peaks have not just the formality, but the style and pizzazz matching the occasion. A nice strong peak, too. Shawls have their history in the smoking jacket, and have a cool look of being at home in the clothes, a different kind of cool. Shawl shape is hard to get right, though, and it seems much more personal what people like and appreciate.

I think generally shawls are said to be avoided by, pardon the bluntness, fat round men. One turns a round man into a circle. But beyond that, I don't see anything stopping you wearing one or the other, as long as they are well balanced to your body. A peak that's too weak or too large, or a peak with a gorge that's too low or too high, or a shawl that's too thin or too fat or has a weird shape, might look weird on you. A good peak won't, and a good shawl, may or may not.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Peak bloom reached or nah?
Looks like over 90% at least. You can see a few buds yet to open in the close up pics. Rain the next three days apparently so they will come down fast.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads