• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

dc_slicker

Reaction score
SM is having a sale for 20% off.. unfortunately the suit that I want is not eligible for the sale, but this one this
what do you gents think? Steal or pass?

and I will be getting the suit at its current price due to those peak lapels that I love

oh yeah... i need a tux as we established... but they wont have it. I contacted SS and seems I can get the whole package for around 1k (suit, shirt, bow tie, vest)

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The first rooftop bar that came to mind was The Brixton (U Street), site of a SF meetup many years ago:

Feel free to propose other locations.

Sorry I'll miss this meetup (again) but I am away on an overnight trip Friday. Hopefully we can try again later in Summer.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SM is having a sale for 20% off.. unfortunately the suit that I want is not eligible for the sale, but this one this

and I will be getting the suit at its current price due to those peak lapels that I love

oh yeah... i need a tux as we established... but they wont have it. I contacted SS and seems I can get the whole package for around 1k (suit, shirt, bow tie, vest)

The royal blue is nice. If I were in the market for another suit, I'd definitely consider that one. I can't justify another one as I barely wear my suits as it is.

If you have it in the budget to buy two suits and the tuxedo, go for it.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
The royal blue is nice. If I were in the market for another suit, I'd definitely consider that one. I can't justify another one as I barely wear my suits as it is.

If you have it in the budget to buy two suits and the tuxedo, go for it.
Ink Blue - https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/ink-blue---three-piece-10153-0043-3pc-nsnt-ss22

Sorry... not royal.

I feel that everything is spiking in price so if i can get stuff now for "cheap" why not. but yeah, I dont wear my suits anymore just hanging there :(

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go for the tuxedo. Sales are everything no one else wanted. The stuff that lasts forever isnt on sale.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why not go to suitsupply. I seem to remember they had a nice looking tuxedo. If your trousers are cut high waisted (not sure if they are) you can have a satin / grosgrain waistband and skip the vent / cummerbund.

for me, I always found shawl lapel -> cummerbund. Peak lapel -> waistcoat.

But it sounds like you like clothing & your relatively new to it. Your tastes will change overtime & they only go up. Regardless of how expensive your tastes are, an affordable tuxedo is always a good call if you know lots of alcohol will be involved

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Why not go to suitsupply. I seem to remember they had a nice looking tuxedo. If your trousers are cut high waisted (not sure if they are) you can have a satin / grosgrain waistband and skip the vent / cummerbund.

But it sounds like you like clothing & your relatively new to it. Your tastes will change overtime & they only go up. Regardless of how expensive your tastes are, an affordable tuxedo is always a good call if you know lots of alcohol will be involved

Good call... I plan to drop by SS and see what they have for tux. I liked this model
and like you mentioned since it has peak lapels, it would be with waistcoat:

shirt and a bowtie

and yeah, I am new to finer clothing... I am a GAP guy... but need to be better
1656528412940.png

dc_slicker

Reaction score
If you know what fits well by measurements, you can do endless searches eBay for particular brands and match up the measurements against what fits you. But, that can be exhausting. I've done it on and off for years, mostly searching Corneliani and Hickey Freeman, but also different Savile Row tailors and a handful of other fully canvassed, well regarded OTR brands. Then, I get some tailoring done to make it fit a little better. And, finally, dry cleaning. There is sometimes good luck, but you have to be willing to really put in the work. Put This On put together a search list of well regarded, mostly Italian, suit brands, maybe 10 years ago, if you want to use it as first filter. Just cut and paste this into an eBay search. (attolini,barbera,battistoni,belvest,bijan,borrelli,brioni,"d'avenza","thom browne",castangia,"cheshire clothing","chester barrie",cifonelli,"dior homme",isaia,kiton,oxxford,rlpl,"purple label","st. andrews",castangia,partenopea,"stuart's choice","zegna napoli") -"b. brioni"

Thank you for this btw... i def will use that

dc_slicker

Reaction score

since i am new to fashion and tuxes, etc

Does the alcohol tastes better in a tux? :)

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since i am new to fashion and tuxes, etc

Does the alcohol tastes better in a tux? :)

Well, tuxedos and alcohol usually go together. The question is how much alcohol? Are my shoes going to look like they need care by the end of the night? That’s my usual test. I wouldn’t wear slippers with a tuxedo on every occasion.

Good call... I plan to drop by SS and see what they have for tux. I liked this model
and like you mentioned since it has peak lapels, it would be with waistcoat:

shirt and a bowtie

and yeah, I am new to finer clothing... I am a GAP guy... but need to be better
View attachment 1807848

hang around here long enough, you’ll be spending 5-6k on a tuxedo without blinking an eye haha

bobbers

Reaction score
The first rooftop bar that came to mind was The Brixton (U Street), site of a SF meetup many years ago:

I'm in for Friday.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
…and it hit me last night after dinner. Was feeling a bit tired but had gotten in some long bike rides in the heat and some gym time. Popped a 100 fever, aches, mild sore throat, stuffy head. Tested NEG but still have fever as of 0200. No taste or smell issues at least.

Work protocols prohibit me from going in with symptoms regardless of test. Will test again soon. Hoping to fall back asleep…

Ugh. Doubtful I’ll make it to meet up. Zero energy and don’t want to possibly infect anyone. At least I don’t see any signs of Monkeypox…:bounce2:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads