• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first rooftop bar that came to mind was The Brixton (U Street), site of a SF meetup many years ago:

Feel free to propose other locations.
Works for me.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Anyone used these guys before?

A buddy of mine sent me this to get a tux from... though it looks it is 900-1000 for a custom tux vs getting it for around 500-600 from SM or SS and then tailoring which should be another 150 maybe?

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A buddy of mine sent me this to get a tux from... though it looks it is 900-1000 for a custom tux vs getting it for around 500-600 from SM or SS and then tailoring which should be another 150 maybe?

MTM has its pitfalls. I'd choose the safe route and try S&M or SS.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tom James is all over DC. They send out reps (usually babes) to solicit business. I know plenty of folks who have used their MTM services but I think their suits are of low quality. None of the folks I've seen in Tom James look very good in their suits.

You get measured by a good looking amateur and the suits are made in a second-tier factory. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

You're beginning to list the mistakes I made when I first had to dress like an adult. You always get what you pay for.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
lol... sounds about right! I was connected with some young sounding lady who was very to get started right away, etc - usually a bad sign.

MTM has its pitfalls. I'd choose the safe route and try S&M or SS.
Tom James is all over DC. They send out reps (usually babes) to solicit business. I know plenty of folks who have used their MTM services but I think their suits are of low quality. None of the folks I've seen in Tom James look very good in their suits.

You get measured by a good looking amateur and the suits are made in a second-tier factory. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

You're beginning to list the mistakes I made when I first had to dress like an adult. You always get what you pay for.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol... sounds about right! I was connected with some young sounding lady who was very to get started right away, etc - usually a bad sign.

If you know what fits well by measurements, you can do endless searches eBay for particular brands and match up the measurements against what fits you. But, that can be exhausting. I've done it on and off for years, mostly searching Corneliani and Hickey Freeman, but also different Savile Row tailors and a handful of other fully canvassed, well regarded OTR brands. Then, I get some tailoring done to make it fit a little better. And, finally, dry cleaning. There is sometimes good luck, but you have to be willing to really put in the work. Put This On put together a search list of well regarded, mostly Italian, suit brands, maybe 10 years ago, if you want to use it as first filter. Just cut and paste this into an eBay search. (attolini,barbera,battistoni,belvest,bijan,borrelli,brioni,"d'avenza","thom browne",castangia,"cheshire clothing","chester barrie",cifonelli,"dior homme",isaia,kiton,oxxford,rlpl,"purple label","st. andrews",castangia,partenopea,"stuart's choice","zegna napoli") -"b. brioni"

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, but I had a meeting with a Tom James saleslady many years ago when I was a BigLaw associate. She wanted me to buy an entire wardrobe. I didn't want to go that far without knowing more about the brand's quality, but offered to buy a single sportscoat to start. She acted like I was wasting her time and left. Looks like I made the right decision.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you know what fits well by measurements, you can do endless searches eBay for particular brands and match up the measurements against what fits you. But, that can be exhausting. I've done it on and off for years, mostly searching Corneliani and Hickey Freeman, but also different Savile Row tailors and a handful of other fully canvassed, well regarded OTR brands. Then, I get some tailoring done to make it fit a little better. And, finally, dry cleaning. There is sometimes good luck, but you have to be willing to really put in the work. Put This On put together a search list of well regarded, mostly Italian, suit brands, maybe 10 years ago, if you want to use it as first filter. Just cut and paste this into an eBay search. (attolini,barbera,battistoni,belvest,bijan,borrelli,brioni,"d'avenza","thom browne",castangia,"cheshire clothing","chester barrie",cifonelli,"dior homme",isaia,kiton,oxxford,rlpl,"purple label","st. andrews",castangia,partenopea,"stuart's choice","zegna napoli") -"b. brioni"
Dated but mostly accurate I think:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof. I thought that would post as a link!

His Zegna and Canali are spot on IMO but his take on Oxxford not so much.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, but I had a meeting with a Tom James saleslady many years ago when I was a BigLaw associate. She wanted me to buy an entire wardrobe. I didn't want to go that far without knowing more about the brand's quality, but offered to buy a single sportscoat to start. She acted like I was wasting her time and left. Looks like I made the right decision.
I’ve been stopped on the street by them. I always chat up Ms. Cleavage but have never bought anything.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't recommend where to get a tuxedo, because I got my tux on eBay for $70 and took it to Field for tailoring. That said, the shirt I did through Field. I did a fly placket (I don't like studs) with a turndown collar (regular spread collar) and royal oxford fabric with a very nice pique and turnback cuffs. Shirts are personal taste, but current style is for a turndown collar.

Jacket:
Jacket should be peak lapels even single breasted or a shawl collar. Never a notch lapel. One button is traditional, two is acceptable. Unvented is traditional, but side vents are common and acceptable. Unflapped pockets, but you can always tuck in the flaps for the same look. The only thing I'll say about the pants is that they should have sewn in buttons to secure braces. The braces should either be black or white with braided ends. Albert Thurston makes really good ones. I'm not sure if anyone competes. Thurston Formal Braces

Accessories:
My bow (batwing) and cummerbund are from Drake's. They used to have a lot of options for bowtie shapes. I don't know if they still do. The Bowtique offers a lot of different shapes, but they are expensive. Batwing and Butterfly are the most traditional shapes. They have some really oversized butterflies. Make sure you cover your waist - either a cummerbund or vest. Also, the fabric should match the lapels (silk or grosgrain).I got a cream satin square from Kent Wang. It was all the rage about 15 years ago. I also got a set of silk flowers to wear in my buttonhole - red, pink, white. I vary them depending on the occasion. That or the square are the only place you should add color. Wear your dressiest cufflinks - gold, silver, mother of pearl, etc. If you're wearing studs, they should match, another benefit of a fly placket is you can just wear cufflinks you already have.

Shoes:
I think plain toes are a must for black tie. Your whole cuts should be perfectly fine with a nice shine on the toe. You can also get ribbon laces to dress them up more. I think Shoe Snob used to carry them.

I have to check. But I believe I have a pair of Thurston white braces that are new & I’ve been meaning to list on here or eBay. Just haven’t had time.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't recommend where to get a tuxedo, because I got my tux on eBay for $70 and took it to Field for tailoring. That said, the shirt I did through Field. I did a fly placket (I don't like studs) with a turndown collar (regular spread collar) and royal oxford fabric with a very nice pique and turnback cuffs. Shirts are personal taste, but current style is for a turndown collar.

Jacket:
Jacket should be peak lapels even single breasted or a shawl collar. Never a notch lapel. One button is traditional, two is acceptable. Unvented is traditional, but side vents are common and acceptable. Unflapped pockets, but you can always tuck in the flaps for the same look. The only thing I'll say about the pants is that they should have sewn in buttons to secure braces. The braces should either be black or white with braided ends. Albert Thurston makes really good ones. I'm not sure if anyone competes. Thurston Formal Braces

Accessories:
My bow (batwing) and cummerbund are from Drake's. They used to have a lot of options for bowtie shapes. I don't know if they still do. The Bowtique offers a lot of different shapes, but they are expensive. Batwing and Butterfly are the most traditional shapes. They have some really oversized butterflies. Make sure you cover your waist - either a cummerbund or vest. Also, the fabric should match the lapels (silk or grosgrain).I got a cream satin square from Kent Wang. It was all the rage about 15 years ago. I also got a set of silk flowers to wear in my buttonhole - red, pink, white. I vary them depending on the occasion. That or the square are the only place you should add color. Wear your dressiest cufflinks - gold, silver, mother of pearl, etc. If you're wearing studs, they should match, another benefit of a fly placket is you can just wear cufflinks you already have.

Shoes:
I think plain toes are a must for black tie. Your whole cuts should be perfectly fine with a nice shine on the toe. You can also get ribbon laces to dress them up more. I think Shoe Snob used to carry them.

On, flower for buttonhole, I bought a white one a few years ago. I don’t wear it. If I recall, white is for if your mother has passed, red is for if your mother is still alive. There’s a significance to the color (I don’t remember exactly, so don’t quote me on it), and I felt uncomfortable wearing something that had a significance that wasn’t correct, even if I’d be the only one who noticed.

I’ve been stopped on the street by them. I always chat up Ms. Cleavage but have never bought anything.
hopefully you can get her to buy you a drink for listening to her pitch. And by listening, I mean, pretending to listen.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good night gentlemen. First martini in I have no idea how long...

Martini.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads