• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok.... let's pretend we did not see that... so that i have an excuse to buy another suit to hang next to my several other ones while i wear shorts while working from home these days :)
Why not use it as an opportunity to get your own tux!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not use it as an opportunity to get your own tux!
tux and a suit? ummm

tux might be too much... i mean can i wear this suit every day? sure.

tux? not so much.

You’re going to an event hosted by the Chief Of Naval Operations (the most senior US Navy Admiral) that says dress code is black tie.

Get a tux. Just a tux.

Don’t buy the suit for this event. If you want to buy the suit for other reasons, buy the suit.

But for this, get a tux

dc_slicker

Reaction score
You’re going to an event hosted by the Chief Of Naval Operations (the most senior US Navy Admiral) that says dress code is black tie.

Get a tux. Just a tux.

Don’t buy the suit for this event. If you want to buy the suit for other reasons, buy the suit.

But for this, get a tux
Appreciate all the feedback!!!

so I asked the person who invited me and was told that yes. It is a black tie but if I don’t have a tux etc I can wear black suit etc. basically person who invited me did not want me to acquire expense as I don’t have the tux

So……, I am getting a tux?
Any recommendations? I don’t want to spend too much on it since I won’t wear it too often? But a shirt like that, bow tie etc whole thing.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Pa. Still a very nice suit from SM and things will be more expensive so probably get that too. lol

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

so I asked the person who invited me and was told that yes. It is a black tie but if I don’t have a tux etc I can wear black suit etc. basically person who invited me did not want me to acquire expense as I don’t have the tux

Any recommendations? I don’t want to spend too much on it since I won’t wear it too often? But a shirt like that, bow tie etc whole thing.
There is absolutely no point in buying a black suit. The only folks I ever see in black suits are 20-something’s who don’t know what they are doing. I had to talk my son out of buying one as well. He seemed to think everyone wore them. You’d think he would have noticed never seeing me in one.

I’m guessing Spier & McKay and SuitSupply have affordable tuxes. Try Kent Wang as well. Good incentive to start going to New Year’s parties.

Yes, you will also need a formal shirt, real bow tie, stud set, cufflinks, possibly suspenders, cummerbund, and formal shoes. I dislike patent leather so I use a pair of highly-shined whole cut Oxfords.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
There is absolutely no point in buying a black suit. The only folks I ever see in black suits are 20-something’s who don’t know what they are doing. I had to talk my son out of buying one as well. He seemed to think everyone wore them. You’d think he would have noticed never seeing me in one.

I’m guessing Spier & McKay and SuitSupply have affordable tuxes. Try Kent Wang as well. Good incentive to start going to New Year’s parties.

Yes, you will also need a formal shirt, real bow tie, stud set, cufflinks, possibly suspenders, cummerbund, and formal shoes. I dislike patent leather so I use a pair of highly-shined whole cut Oxfords.
Agree. Feel young folk can get away with black suit but not an old fart like me.

I will shop around. Thank you guys!!! Good catch on that black tie

dc_slicker

Reaction score

Can I wear my AE Park Ave shoes? I do have whole cut oxfords too. Guess I can polish them up with high shine?

I do hate those parent leather shoes

Attachments

• 410A8694-A2F0-4A10-978F-A262A9237ED1.jpeg
    410A8694-A2F0-4A10-978F-A262A9237ED1.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 19
  • B1021E61-BB4E-4157-85FD-83CB18D280F5.jpeg
    B1021E61-BB4E-4157-85FD-83CB18D280F5.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 19

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't recommend where to get a tuxedo, because I got my tux on eBay for $70 and took it to Field for tailoring. That said, the shirt I did through Field. I did a fly placket (I don't like studs) with a turndown collar (regular spread collar) and royal oxford fabric with a very nice pique and turnback cuffs. Shirts are personal taste, but current style is for a turndown collar.

Jacket:
Jacket should be peak lapels even single breasted or a shawl collar. Never a notch lapel. One button is traditional, two is acceptable. Unvented is traditional, but side vents are common and acceptable. Unflapped pockets, but you can always tuck in the flaps for the same look. The only thing I'll say about the pants is that they should have sewn in buttons to secure braces. The braces should either be black or white with braided ends. Albert Thurston makes really good ones. I'm not sure if anyone competes. Thurston Formal Braces

Accessories:
My bow (batwing) and cummerbund are from Drake's. They used to have a lot of options for bowtie shapes. I don't know if they still do. The Bowtique offers a lot of different shapes, but they are expensive. Batwing and Butterfly are the most traditional shapes. They have some really oversized butterflies. Make sure you cover your waist - either a cummerbund or vest. Also, the fabric should match the lapels (silk or grosgrain).I got a cream satin square from Kent Wang. It was all the rage about 15 years ago. I also got a set of silk flowers to wear in my buttonhole - red, pink, white. I vary them depending on the occasion. That or the square are the only place you should add color. Wear your dressiest cufflinks - gold, silver, mother of pearl, etc. If you're wearing studs, they should match, another benefit of a fly placket is you can just wear cufflinks you already have.

Shoes:
I think plain toes are a must for black tie. Your whole cuts should be perfectly fine with a nice shine on the toe. You can also get ribbon laces to dress them up more. I think Shoe Snob used to carry them.

Last edited:

dc_slicker

Reaction score
I can't recommend where to get a tuxedo, because I got my tux on eBay for $70 and took it to Field for tailoring. That said, the shirt I did through Field. I did a fly placket (I don't like studs) with a turndown collar (regular spread collar) and royal oxford fabric with a very nice pique and turnback cuffs. Shirts are personal taste, but current style is for a turndown collar.

Jacket:
Jacket should be peak lapels even single breasted or a shawl collar. Never a notch lapel. One button is traditional, two is acceptable. Unvented is traditional, but side vents are common and acceptable. Unflapped pockets, but you can always tuck in the flaps for the same look. The only thing I'll say about the pants is that they should have sewn in buttons to secure braces. The braces should either be black or white with braided ends. Albert Thurston makes really good ones. I'm not sure if anyone competes. Thurston Formal Braces

Accessories:
My bow (batwing) and cummerbund are from Drake's. They used to have a lot of options for bowtie shapes. I don't know if they still do. The Bowtique offers a lot of different shapes, but they are expensive. Batwing and Butterfly are the most traditional shapes. They have some really oversized butterflies. Make sure you cover your waist - either a cummerbund or vest. Also, the fabric should match the lapels (silk or grosgrain).I got a cream satin square from Kent Wang. It was all the rage about 15 years ago. I also got a set of silk flowers to wear in my buttonhole - red, pink, white. I vary them depending on the occasion. That or the square are the only place you should add color. Wear your dressiest cufflinks - gold, silver, mother of pearl, etc. If you're wearing studs, they should match, another benefit of a fly placket is you can just wear cufflinks you already have.

Shoes:
I think plain toes are a must for black tie. Your whole cuts should be perfectly fine with a nice shine on the toe. You can also get ribbon laces to dress them up more. I think Shoe Snob used to carry them.
Damn. Thank you so much for all the info!!! Feel like a teenager boy getting prepped for a prom by cool uncles. 😂

do you have any pictures to share? Just want to see finished look if possible.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn. Thank you so much for all the info!!! Feel like a teenager boy getting prepped for a prom by cool uncles. 😂

This is my S&M midnight blue tux I wore to a wedding last weekend.
20220626_212034.jpg
I picked this up a few years back and I dont think they stock it anymore. But it has black satin peak lapels, welt hip pockets (no flaps) and a single satin-covered button front. Side vents. For some reason they didn't put the satin stripe down the outseam of the trousers, which I always assumed was a requirement.

The satin bow tie and cummerbund are from Fine and Dandy Shop which sells nice and fairly affordable USA-made accessories.

Shirt is MTM from the Knot Standard here in DC in exactly the same format as Scurvy describes above.

Shoes are Edward Green cap toes shined up.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ralph Lauren Black Label tuxedo I got for a steal when they stopped that line and rolled it into Purple Label. Single breasted peak lapel, one button, vent-less (looks great on a tux, awkward on business suit). jetted pockets. Shirt is Hickey Freeman with pleats and French cuffs w/links, RLBL bow tie, white linen pocket square, BB stud set. Shoes are Peale & Co (C&J) for Brooks Brothers, whole cut Oxfords I shine to high gloss.

Capture.JPG

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Black Label tuxedo I got for a steal when they stopped that line and rolled it into Purple Label. Single breasted peak lapel, one button, vent-less (looks great on a tux, awkward on business suit). jetted pockets. Shirt is Hickey Freeman with pleats and French cuffs w/links, RLBL bow tie, white linen pocket square, BB stud set. Shoes are Peale & Co (C&J) for Brooks Brothers, whole cut Oxfords I shine to high gloss.

View attachment 1807374
I have that exact same RLBL tux!

dc_slicker

Reaction score
This is my S&M midnight blue tux I wore to a wedding last weekend.
View attachment 1807354
I picked this up a few years back and I dont think they stock it anymore. But it has black satin peak lapels, welt hip pockets (no flaps) and a single satin-covered button front. Side vents. For some reason they didn't put the satin stripe down the outseam of the trousers, which I always assumed was a requirement.

The satin bow tie and cummerbund are from Fine and Dandy Shop which sells nice and fairly affordable USA-made accessories.

Shirt is MTM from the Knot Standard here in DC in exactly the same format as Scurvy describes above.

Shoes are Edward Green cap toes shined up.

View attachment 1807374
Gorgeous!!! Tuxes look great... almost like a suit! For some reason I was picturing old fashion tux with huge lapels, etc... i def see myself in one of those.

Speaking of SM: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/vbc---black-tuxedo-8666211730-tuxnt-02-ss22

Looks like Smitty's Ralph Lauren Black Label tuxedo... maybe I can lurk on the ebay to see if I will have any luck there lol

thank you for the suggestions on where to get shirt and accessories!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads