• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Likely a niche thing as the old days won't be coming back. But, still...appreciated.

Any spot that bans shorts and flip flops is fine by me.

I can't read the article as I have reached my limit of free articles (odd, since I don't recall reading any NYT online articles in quite a while, but that's a different thread...)

But, in general, I agree with the sentiment, and completely concur with @bry2000, shorts a flip flops have their place but not in many restaurants. Bring back some sort of dress code.

Brings to mind an older article from B'more Magazine
https://www.baltimoremagazine.com/section/fooddrink/fine-dining-gets-dressed-down/

Two things to note, not long before The Prime Rib changed their dress code, my wife and I were eating there (semi casual, no tie, at the bar) and it was mid summer. After the main course, I took off my jacket, and hung it on the back on the barstool. The maître de came over and very smoothly picked up my jacket, said something along the lines of, "let me help you put this on" then assisted in donning the jacket, no muss, no fuss, just a gentle reminder.

Secondly, Ken Himmelstein, quoted in the article
"Nattily dressed Prime Rib regular Ken Himmelstein mourns, but grudgingly accepts, the shift in attitude. “I am admittedly old school,” says Himmelstein, who owns Samuel Parker Clothier, an upscale haberdashery. “But I think there is a time and a place for everything.” is a good friend. he closed his shop in 2017, but maintains a small private MTO/MTM business out of his house.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wedding guests dress up for a wedding without being told to do so out of respect for the couple getting married. The situation is not identical, but it seems that diners should go to a nice restaurant looking presentable out of respect for their fellow diners and the ambiance the restaurant is trying to create.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno man, life's too short for anachronistic rules. If you want to eat a $65 porterhouse in jorts I say have at it. I'll be sitting here smugly spilling bourdelaise sauce on a Drake's tie.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno man, life's too short for anachronistic rules. If you want to eat a $65 porterhouse in jorts I say have at it. I'll be sitting here smugly spilling bourdelaise sauce on a Drake's tie.
I dunno. I really hate being somewhere nice with folks dressed like slobs. No need for black tie but just trying to look presentable is basic politeness. I greatly prefer the European mindset in this regard.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I really hate being somewhere nice with folks dressed like slobs. No need for black tie but just trying to look presentable is basic politeness. I greatly prefer the European mindset in this regard.
I was in Madrid last week and went to a fairly upscale restaurant called Kuche wearing navy linen trousers, suede loafers, a chambray button down, but no jacket. I think I was more dressed up than most people there? Definitely saw some jeans. The pulpo and the basque cheesecake were divine.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in Madrid last week and went to a fairly upscale restaurant called Kuche wearing navy linen trousers, suede loafers, a chambray button down, but no jacket. I think I was more dressed up than most people there? Definitely saw some jeans. The pulpo and the basque cheesecake were divine.
I'll be in London in two weeks and will report my sartorial findings.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By inappropriate dress, I am thinking of shorts and flip-flops at a Michelin-starred restaurant. If The Inn at Little Washington tolerates that attire, all hope is lost.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check out the old and new arsenal stadiums.
Was hoping for a soccer match but Premier League ends shortly. Not sure wifey would want to go anyway. Heading over for a retirement party for my last close friend still on active duty.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, off crutches and back on bike. F299C8B1-67DC-492F-A5C4-C94ABE11D1B4.jpeg Allergies or head cold made me too symptomatic to be at work freaking out coworkers. Beautiful day for a long ride and lunch at Eastern Market.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads