• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Wishful thinking from one who works at the university. I guess the question then is what’s going to become of all of those vacant storefronts.
Hopefully they will get tenants whenever some sort of new normal returns. Wifey likes J. McLaughlin, COS, and RL. I like Mashburn and Billy Reid. We both like Martin’s and Clyde’s. I could do without the Mall stores that have spread there I guess.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should also add that I know people who genuinely cling to the belief that a gondola to Roslyn will solve Georgetown’s problems.
Metro had a long-term plan to add a station there but I don’t think it’s been approved/passed. Saw it go by last year I think.

Really short-sighted of Georgetown not to have insisted on one originally.

professor

Reaction score
Metro had a long-term plan to add a station there but I don’t think it’s been approved/passed. Saw it go by last year I think.

Yeah, they need another bore under the river, and I think there’s some notion that it could go through Georgetown. That seems a *long* way off.

Apparently, though, the city may be acquiring the land where the Exxon station used to be (next to the Car Barn). I gather the condo developer who initially purchased that property has abandoned the project. And the theory is that it could become some sort of public transportation hub for Georgetown (subway, bus, streetcar, gondola?).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they need another bore under the river, and I think there’s some notion that it could go through Georgetown. That seems a *long* way off.

Apparently, though, the city may be acquiring the land where the Exxon station used to be (next to the Car Barn). I gather the condo developer who initially purchased that property has abandoned the project. And the theory is that it could become some sort of public transportation hub for Georgetown (subway, bus, streetcar, gondola?).
I’m hoping the summer will reinvigorate that place. The waterfront is still a draw and hopefully some more retail/dining will move into M-Wisconsin.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like we got 2-3 inches of snow here in Arlington. Cars were stuck on the hill by the Courthouse as they couldn’t get traction. This will be a mess when the rain starts.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like we got 2-3 inches of snow here in Arlington. Cars were stuck on the hill by the Courthouse as they couldn’t get traction. This will be a mess when the rain starts.
Yikes. Not looking forward to even walking to work this week.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_4704ed.jpg

It was a chilly evening last night and perfect for some ice skating. A nice overcoat, moleskin trousers, some solid knitwear, a watch cap, a wool scarf, and some gloves kept me toasty on the ice.

*EDIT* missed an item

brokencycle

Reaction score
I wouldn't be doing any driving up by you guys for a couple days: I'm certainly not here. We got about 1" of ice and tons of rain. I grew up driving in the snow, but I'm not prepared for Southerns and weather.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a way. The neighborhood is not Metrorail accessible, and real estate for retail is limited. Georgetown will always attract tourists, but doesn't have much to offer DC-area residents. Sid Mashburn and the Von Ammon art gallery are the only reasons for me to visit.

Fair enough. Wishful thinking from one who works at the university. I guess the question then is what’s going to become of all of those vacant storefronts.

Right! Between the high rents yet poor foot traffic, overbearing neighbourhood association, and the feckless BID don't expect much. AFAIK they still limit the number of tavern licenses to 6

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They wanted to keep the riff raff out

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought that streetcar plan died once they saw how great it worked on H Street

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be doing any driving up by you guys for a couple days: I'm certainly not here. We got about 1" of ice and tons of rain. I grew up driving in the snow, but I'm not prepared for Southerns and weather.
Here in Arlington we seem to have distracted and self-possessed twenty-somethings behind the wheel. A bunch of them got stuck on the big hill at Courthouse as they were not experienced enough to go around.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1738194
It was a chilly evening last night and perfect for some ice skating. A nice overcoat, moleskin trousers, some solid knitwear, a watch cap, a wool scarf, and some gloves kept me toasty on the ice.

*EDIT* missed an item
Was it hard skating with that piece of paper taped to your head? ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads