• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm game for the 18th. I think meeting somewhere that's particularly festive would be good - Old Ebbit and Bobby Vans have their holiday decorations up. Maybe the St. Regis which has a good bar (with fireplace) and a spacious lobby although I can't vouch for their festiveness. The Ritz in Georgetown has an awesome lobby but was closed last time I went by it a few months back. Any one have other suggestions?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WOW! Knew you all would have an opinion.

looks like Prime Rib will get the call. Capital grille is nice - I’m visiting from chicago and have so many choices here so I’m kind of picky.

We did Maydan last visit - that date and honey dish was memorable. I went to Georgetown and worked at a federal client. Would eat once a week at Le Diplomate, it’s a must any trip.

Please do report back after your dinner.

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
Update on Field bespoke suit. Had Will let out suit and trousers. Much better fit.

Attachments

• 7ED3BFF6-DC45-4317-B0AB-8B1E31AE4718.jpeg
    7ED3BFF6-DC45-4317-B0AB-8B1E31AE4718.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 1FDD2212-FEEC-46E5-ACA5-02E75AFDB988.jpeg
    1FDD2212-FEEC-46E5-ACA5-02E75AFDB988.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 52

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fabric looks messy in the back and around the buttoning point. I would ask for more room on the next jacket. Also, the pocket flaps also look a tad bit small. Ask for straight jetted pockets on the next suit.

I agree about the tension when buttoned. That can be fixed on this one. Don't wait for the next. I think the back fits right, it's just a lighter fabric, so it doesn't drape as smoothly. May be the angle, but I like to see some shirt cuff at the bottom of the jacket cuff. Yours isn't showing. Are the arms too long or the shirt too short?

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
The fabric looks messy in the back and around the buttoning point. I would ask for more room on the next jacket. Also, the pocket flaps also look a tad bit small. Ask for straight jetted pockets on the next suit.
The pockets are hacking pockets and aren’t fully visible. If the camera angle was better, you’d see the full pocket.
I agree about the tension when buttoned. That can be fixed on this one. Don't wait for the next. I think the back fits right, it's just a lighter fabric, so it doesn't drape as smoothly. May be the angle, but I like to see some shirt cuff at the bottom of the jacket cuff. Yours isn't showing. Are the arms too long or the shirt too short?

Problem is shirt cuff is too short. I think my S&M shirt was mislabeled as 34.

Wool is a pretty lightweight fabric. I think it is technically a tropical weight. Does the shoulder look good?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Problem is shirt cuff is too short. I think my S&M shirt was mislabeled as 34.

Wool is a pretty lightweight fabric. I think it is technically a tropical weight. Does the shoulder look good?

I think the shoulders look good. Clean lines from the neck to the cap, no collar gap, straight down from the shoulder to the wrist. I think the slight roping is his house style. I think he did some time at Gieves and Hawkes. That's how they make their shoulder too. Not as roped as Chittleborough and Morgan. Not a natural shoulder like most RTW American makers. I like it. I have two suits from C&M (second hand). Those can be pretty severe, especially in single breasted. Mine are DB, so they look more congruous than if they were single breasted.

bobbers

Reaction score
I went to the Budd and Co. store in Georgetown to see what's left. Store closes on Saturday, if not sooner. Discounts are now 80-90% off. Ties are $20 or less. If you like houndstooth, checkerboard, or dotted ties there's a fair amount. Many shirts are $40 or so. The shirts are sized only by collar; sales associates say all sleeves are 34 length, though I've measured 35-36 on one I bought.

An even better deal: towards the back on the right there are some sample suits in plain dark gray for $200 each. One each in 38-40-44-48, Regular. Fully canvassed, dual vents. The jacket was large in the belly on me, so the salesperson offered to go down further to cover the cost of alterations. Also some sample dress shirts with French cuffs for $15.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, out late for concert last night and now up in NYC for weekend with wifey and nephews. Taking them on the usual touristy stuff as they’ve never been here but managed to stop into Crockett and Jones and grabbed some Grantham loafers in brown. Kind of on fumes now.
CE093088-6DE1-4C9E-9A67-9CDC7CA1D5B5.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads