• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You all did an excellent job recommending restaurants and bars for my last visit - thank you!

Let’s talk steakhouses. Any classic ones come to mind (ie Keens, Luger-esque)?
Bummed that pineapples and pearls hasn’t opened back up yet.

Steak isn't my thing but I've had some good cuts at Bourbon Steak in Georgetown and Maestro's Steakhouse.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last steakhouse I went to pre-pandemic was CUT by Wolfgang Puck in Georgetown. I remember it being pretty good. That said, the nice steakhouses operate in a narrow band of quality. There's only so many ways to cook a bone-in ribeye.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I unAmerican for not liking steak? I always eat seafood or Asian for the most part.
I like steak but the past 2-3 years I’ve made a conscious effort to cut down on red meat consumption for health and environmental reasons. I’ll still eat steak, prime rib, or bbq brisket for special occasions but for the most part I’ll go months without eating beef.

trafficjam

Reaction score
Is BLT Steak still open? My buddy used to run the wine program there, though it was nice enough but probably not Old School Steakhouse enough for the purpose. Generally, I avoid steakhouses because I feel like I'm paying a massive premium for something I can do just fine at home. One exception might be Medium Rare because I can just shove that **** in my mouth.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You all did an excellent job recommending restaurants and bars for my last visit - thank you!

If you're looking for a more classic vibe then +1 on Joe's. Plus it's stone crab season.

The Palm is ok - The lamb chops turn into a nice app for the table if you split it up and get one per person.

If you're ok with the drive across the bridge and don't need super classic - Oak in Old Town has some unique cuts and has been pretty good.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Luger????? The infamous 0 star restaurant by the New York Times. Literally the worst steakhouse experience I have ever had.

For DC Steakhouses, go to the Prime Rib. BLT downtown is okay, Cut is okay. I found Bourbon Steak overrated. I was pleasantly surprised by Capitol Grille.

If you want restaurants recommendations: try Le Diplomat, Maydan, Iron Gate, Old Ebbit Grill.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've always enjoyed my meals at the Capital Grille. It's a chain however after having been there at least half a dozen times, I've not been disappointed.

db123456

Reaction score
Eater DC just did a post with steakhouse recommendations, which looks pretty comprehensive. Their map may be helpful if the geography is meaningful for your visit.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not all that into steaks either (I don't dislike them just don't get the fuss) but I liked St Anselm when I was there a few months back. I also like Bar Charley which has affordable steaks (and an excellent happy hour).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads