• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m sort of torn but suspect I wouldn’t like living in NYC unless I was fabulously rich. DC is more livable. Going to check this out soon at the Hirschhorn:

NYC is so much more walkable and so much more to do. Once you got the lay of the land you would love NYC

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you guys wearing for normal winter jackets?

I have an English made Aquascutum navy 100% cashmere overcoat that I bought on eBay a few years ago. It's balmacaan style with raglan shoulders and a fly placket. I keep it at the office for when I have to walk outside in winter in a suit or jacket and tie. I drive from garage to garage so I'm not outside in my dress clothes unless I'm going from the office.

I also have a heavyweight Eddie Bauer down parka. I use it to shovel snow and walk the dog during the winter.

If I'm going somewhere by car where I won't be outside much, I generally just wear a heavy sweater and bring a lighter jacket in the car.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an English made Aquascutum navy 100% cashmere overcoat that I bought on eBay a few years ago. It's balmacaan style with raglan shoulders and a fly placket. I keep it at the office for when I have to walk outside in winter in a suit or jacket and tie. I drive from garage to garage so I'm not outside in my dress clothes unless I'm going from the office.

I also have a heavyweight Eddie Bauer down parka. I use it to shovel snow and walk the dog during the winter.

If I'm going somewhere by car where I won't be outside much, I generally just wear a heavy sweater and bring a lighter jacket in the car.
I have a camel color Aquascutum in cashmere and wear that a lot as well.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for a down jacket or an alternative. Nothing too dressy please.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zegna's Elements line is very low key but expertly made. I have a wool down parka that is insanely warm and looks great.

Also have a lighter version for cool weather:

1634171035873.png

1634171269737.png

Pic of the heavier version:
1634171332678.png

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a down jacket or an alternative. Nothing too dressy please.

For casual or business casual (not to cover tailored clothing) my normal is a Barbour Beaufort with liner…. If it’s too cold for that, I have a Columbia parka.

Longer coats for over tailoring

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zegna's Elements line is very low key but expertly made. I have a wool down parka that is insanely warm and looks great.

Also have a lighter version for cool weather:

View attachment 1685007
View attachment 1685009

Pic of the heavier version:
View attachment 1685010

I like it!

For casual or business casual (not to cover tailored clothing) my normal is a Barbour Beaufort with liner…. If it’s too cold for that, I have a Columbia parka.

Longer coats for over tailoring
What are your thoughts on this jacket?

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have about 4 different British made (can't remember the brands except for 1) wool overcoats of varying lengths and weights:
A navy Magee overcoat is the heaviest and can withstand Siberian winters;
A loden overcoat coat is the next heaviest and IMO the most interesting that is good for 20 - 35 degrees;
A versatile brown herringbone tweed overcoat that can be worn between 30 - 40 degrees
And a...I'm not sure the colour...rust(?) car coat that isn't used for under 36 degrees

I think I need (read: I don't need, I just want) a camelhair coat that fits properly with just a shirt or a light sweater (no suit jacket)

And I want a brown WW2-esque shearling jacket, not sure if US Army Air Corps or R.A.F. style but DC winters are so mild it almost doesn't make sense

almost...

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

trafficjam

Reaction score
I have this great ts(s) coat that's blanket lined and has this needlepoint (?) design on it that I can throw on and take just about anywhere:
1634216847279.png

ts(s) basically does this design every year in a different material and I have to admit I've had to stop myself from re-buying the same thing over and over again.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went down the wormhole about buying the Private White/Permanent Style collaboration bridge coat.

Then I realized how little I am actually outside in winter and how warm our winters have become in the DC area. Less of business attire than my previously mentioned Aquascutum balmacaan coat and more dressy than my Eddie Bauer parka, but do I really need another navy coat and how often would I wear it? I think the design and the details are really cool, though and nicer than a regular pea coat.

I'm better off saving for that deferred family trip to Paris and Amsterdam than I am getting this coat.

Bridge_Coat_buttons_curved_2000x2000.jpg
centre_back_vent_Bridge_Coat_700x700.jpg
pea_coat_style_cap_700x700.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went down the wormhole about buying the Private White/Permanent Style collaboration bridge coat.

Then I realized how little I am actually outside in winter and how warm our winters have become in the DC area. Less of business attire than my previously mentioned Aquascutum balmacaan coat and more dressy than my Eddie Bauer parka, but do I really need another navy coat and how often would I wear it? I think the design and the details are really cool, though and nicer than a regular pea coat.

I'm better off saving for that deferred family trip to Paris and Amsterdam than I am getting this coat.

View attachment 1685452 View attachment 1685453 View attachment 1685454
It's really a smashing coat, though. I've thought it over and over again but I already have several pea coats and can't justify it. Still...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads