• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

bobbers

Reaction score
If you prefer the former, I'd recommend a wheated bourbon (classic being Weller, which is quite inexpensive at around $25 for the Special Reserve but hard to find). Assuming you can't find Weller, I'd recommend Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare (both along with Weller are made at the Buffalo Trace Distillery). If you prefer something more biting and complex, Elijah Craig would be a reasonable option.

I was in Ohio over the weekend, and Bourbon distilleries were relatively close by. I remember seeing these recommendations way back in this thread, but I couldn't fit distillery visits into the schedule.

Logically the next best thing was to visit various liquor stores. After some searching, I came home with two bottles of Weller Special Reserve and one bottle of Weller Antique 107. Looking forward to tasting later this week.

bsarosi

Reaction score
I was in Ohio over the weekend, and Bourbon distilleries were relatively close by. I remember seeing these recommendations way back in this thread, but I couldn't fit distillery visits into the schedule.

Logically the next best thing was to visit various liquor stores. After some searching, I came home with two bottles of Weller Special Reserve and one bottle of Weller Antique 107. Looking forward to tasting later this week.

Nice haul! Weller SR is great for day-to-day and the Antique 107 is great for something a little more special imo

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My lady picked me up a bottle from Frederick, MD.

Anyone ever try matchstick?
9320C7E4-799E-4E1B-9570-0557E5F8A583.jpeg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the Bootjack from McClintock and it was a nice rye however I've not had the Matchstick. How is this bourbon?

I've yet to open the bottle. I haven't been drinking as much since the pandemic started.

mlcgloves

Reaction score
Hi all, I am hopefully moving to D.C. to. start a new job at a federal agency. The dress code was described to me as business casual. I tried to get more specifics about whether jackets and ties were common or expected and got a rather vague response from HR. So I'm wondering if anyone in the thread is familiar with what the dress code is like at these federal agencies. I'm a recent college graduate, so I still have some considerable wardrobe filling out to do.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My particular section of my federal agency is business casual. You should be okay with a collared button-up shirt and khakis. I like to go a little dressier with wool pants and a sportscoat.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, button-up shirt with collar and dress pants/khakis and shoes that are not sneakers or athletic shoes. Nice sweater(s) for cooler weather. Pretty good idea to have a Navy blazer on hand.

Dress code will vary based on your position, the agency, and who you interact with professionally. If you host or attend lots of meetings with other agencies or outside groups then coat and tie is usually the order of the day. If you're HR, IT, and other "internal" positions then I'm sure business casual will work.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meet with a lot of federal employees. Many wear chinos and a button down shirt with fake dress shoes. I say fake because they are usually sneakers masquerading as shoes.

Managers frequently wear a jacket, but no tie. SES (senior executives) wear a jacket and tie or suit. Political appointees wear suits b/c they can be summoned to the Secretary or Congress at any time.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meet with a lot of federal employees. Many wear chinos and a button down shirt with fake dress shoes. I say fake because they are usually sneakers masquerading as shoes.

Managers frequently wear a jacket, but no tie. SES (senior executives) wear a jacket and tie or suit. Political appointees wear suits b/c they can be summoned to the Secretary or Congress at any time.
Also depends on how close the top of the agency your desk is. Suit and tie a must if you're anywhere near the political appointees or folks who interact with the Hill.

trafficjam

Reaction score
I'm a contractor in a federal office (well, a year and a half ago I was in an office). As mentioned, only the higher-ups wear suits, but just about everyone has a suit on hand, or at least a tie which I wore like, 5 times in 3 years. I would rec wool pants and a dress shirt, though a sport shirt won't make anyone look sideways.

mlcgloves

Reaction score
Yeah HR told me they're essentially all teleworking rn with few instances of people going into office here and there. Sounds like there is some variability and I'll wait it out and see what my office is like

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, what others have said. Business casual where I work can be anything from a smart button up shirt with chinos to non-ripped up jeans and a polo.....

And yes, it certainly get dressier the closer you get to heads of agencies etc. Near our "top floor" business casual is all dress shirts/wool trousers.

My best recommendations
1) don't go out and buy a bunch of new clothes before you start working, work with what you have until you get in and see what others are wearing
2) Err on the dressier side (but no too dressy) to start, if you think polo/chinos would work, start out with nice button up shirt,/wool trousers, then adjust

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads