• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on cue, here's a list of the best rooftop bars in DC. The entries all appear to be new-ish, which is why The Brixton is not included.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spring was nice while it lasted. Summer officially begins on June 21, but judging from the upcoming weather forecast, it's coming one month early.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spring was nice while it lasted. Summer officially begins on June 21, but judging from the upcoming weather forecast, it's coming one month early.
Just came back from a 20-miler and it's beautiful out! Bring it on!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who here is fully vaccinated? I am by Memorial Day weekend.

I got my second Moderna shot this past Friday. About 10 days out from being "fully" vaccinated.

My oldest daughter was given her first Pfizer vaccine on the first day it was available under 16, this past Thursday. Her second should be in about two weeks, then she's got two weeks go go.

My youngest has a ways to go, she's under 12.

My wife was fully vaccinated months ago as a mental health care worker.

I really want to book a trip to Universal Orlando for my kids. I think we're going to gamble on doing it in January for their birthdays. By then the vaccine should be available for those under ages 12 and given how quickly my oldest was able to be vaccinated when her cohort were eligible, I think we'll get my youngest in fast.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I vote for July, I am in trial all June (but seriously, it would be cool to meet up with everyone for the first time).
Hmm, expecting to beat the charge, eh?

The Brixton!

In Chinatown, Bar Deco has a nice rooftop.

The Brixton would be great but I may spend much of the time chatting up the ladies (if we're aim for a Thursday-ish meet up). Bar Deco is good too.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait for the meetup, whenever that will be. In the meantime, cheers.

BD94F1EB-9F4F-4099-85EB-47618FD4D8B0.jpeg

adschus

Reaction score
My wife and I will be visiting DC sometime in July. We are big foodies. While we would go to Pineapples and Pearls again (Closed for the time being) we are open to other Michelin suggestions or non-Michelin options. Any suggestions or off-the-list options? We will be staying near the White House most likely.

Bar suggestions. I love the vibe and decor of The Round Robin Bar. Any other clubby bars/restaurants that you can please recommend?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I will be visiting DC sometime in July. We are big foodies. While we would go to Pineapples and Pearls again (Closed for the time being) we are open to other Michelin suggestions or non-Michelin options. Any suggestions or off-the-list options? We will be staying near the White House most likely.

Bar suggestions. I love the vibe and decor of The Round Robin Bar. Any other clubby bars/restaurants that you can please recommend?
Here's a list of DC Michelin-starred restaurants. Komi is a DC institution. I've been to Sushi Taro and Tail Up Goat. As it's name suggests, Taro serves sushi and it's very good. Members of the Japanese embassy go there. I was underwhelmed the two times I got takeout from Tail Up Goat. Maybe the in-restaurant dining experience is better.

There are a trio of restaurants in Penn Quarter I recommend: Rasika (Indian), Jaleo (Spanish tapas), and Zaytinya (Mediterranean tapas).

The hot new restaurant in DC is Dauphine's, which is close to where you expect to be staying. Go there and give us a full review!

As far as bars go, any bar at a nice old-school hotel (Willard, Mayflower, etc.) is likely to have what you are looking for. I like the bar at the Hotel Sofitel. I recall it having a clubby vibe.

Enjoy your visit!

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you have a rental car and want to visit a three Michelin star restaurant, check out the Inn at Little Washington:

It's the only three star spot in the DC area.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait for the meetup, whenever that will be. In the meantime, cheers.

View attachment 1612028

like @smittycl and @Easily Amused I do like a Rye Manhattan, I am also fond of using Rye in an Old Fashioned.

I recently joined a single barrel club, and the first pic was a local Sagamore Rye, not a huge fan of it straight, but its very good in a cocktail. I am also using a Rye from Delaware, Diamond State Rye, it's a little less spicy than the Sagamore, which makes it an easy sipper, but still holds up in cocktails.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
like @smittycl and @Easily Amused I do like a Rye Manhattan, I am also fond of using Rye in an Old Fashioned.

I recently joined a single barrel club, and the first pic was a local Sagamore Rye, not a huge fan of it straight, but its very good in a cocktail. I am also using a Rye from Delaware, Diamond State Rye, it's a little less spicy than the Sagamore, which makes it an easy sipper, but still holds up in cocktails.
There's one in NoVa called Catoctin Creek that I've always liked. Had one with Angel's Envy at a bar in Dupont Circle. I didn't know it was so expensive. Turned out to be a $25 Manhattan.

Last edited:

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the rye suggestions, @hpreston. I'm an utter novice on this subject, I often purchase what I think is good(-enough) quality and the right price. Will check out the Sagamore next time I go liquor shopping (I like rye in both cocktails and as straight).

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the rye suggestions, @hpreston. I'm an utter novice on this subject, I often purchase what I think is good(-enough) quality and the right price. Will check out the Sagamore next time I go liquor shopping (I like rye in both cocktails and as straight).

I make a Manhattan at home with Seagram's 7 Crown, red vermouth, and some bitters. There have been times I've bought rye and done the same however the Seagram's is a standby in my household.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads