• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure it is nice. But chore coats are a dime a dozen and have even seen a bunch in ecru. $490 seems steep. Ymmv, of course.
I've found the DBF stuff to be very well made and fits me TTS. Good stuff!

Besides, walking around in covert snooty French stuff is the adult equivalent of wearing rocketship underpants... :-D

EDIT: I do agree it's up around Drake's level of semi-absurd pricing, though.

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really liking this. DBF stuff really works for me.

One of my favorite kops from last year was a DBF “Painters Jacket” (essentially a shirt jacket) in green linen. The fit is great but it’s the construction that sets it apart. It’s as well made as a Tony Shirt. Also the linen is sublime. Not too heavy, not too light. Nice drape with some nice wrinkling.

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
When storing winter tailored clothing, do you guys fold coats/winter suits/blazers and put them in canvass garment bags or do you keep then on sturdy hangars but in a canvass hanging bag?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When storing winter tailored clothing, do you guys fold coats/winter suits/blazers and put them in canvass garment bags or do you keep then on sturdy hangars but in a canvass hanging bag?

I would strongly recommend against folding tailored clothing for storage. Put in a garment bag and hang.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Hello, fellow Washingtonians! I am just dropping by to say my greetings. I am not looking forward to getting my Pfizer vaccine this week but better than getting the virus. It was my wife's birthday this past weekend and I had to go to the Hermes boutique in DC. I walked in and just asked the SA for a purse called BIRKIN. He calmed me down and told me that Hermes is about building a relationship first. It sounded like I need to play the game and level up to obtain such a bag. This sounded like something that Ferrari does with how they operate. So I thought it was amusing and kind of F'd up at the same time that I have to level up or build a relationship. Just take my freaking money and give me what I want. Anyone familiar with this practice? I had to "settle" with a Kelly wallet for my wife and figure out if I want to play this stupid game. If you have any insight or experience with Hermes' practice then please do share. I still just find it funny.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, fellow Washingtonians! I am just dropping by to say my greetings. I am not looking forward to getting my Pfizer vaccine this week but better than getting the virus. It was my wife's birthday this past weekend and I had to go to the Hermes boutique in DC. I walked in and just asked the SA for a purse called BIRKIN. He calmed me down and told me that Hermes is about building a relationship first. It sounded like I need to play the game and level up to obtain such a bag. This sounded like something that Ferrari does with how they operate. So I thought it was amusing and kind of F'd up at the same time that I have to level up or build a relationship. Just take my freaking money and give me what I want. Anyone familiar with this practice? I had to "settle" with a Kelly wallet for my wife and figure out if I want to play this stupid game. If you have any insight or experience with Hermes' practice then please do share. I still just find it funny.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deer lawd, wtf is up with Hermes? Who plays this freaking game?
A lot of people. Demand is so high for the Birkin bag that they don't just sell them to walk-in customers unless you're a famous celebrity. Hermes Birking bags, Rolex watches, AP Royal Oaks, Patek Nautilus, Ferrari all do this. It's quite common now so your options are play the game or pay a large premium to get what you want on the grey market.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of people. Demand is so high for the Birkin bag that they don't just sell them to walk-in customers unless you're a famous celebrity. Hermes Birking bags, Rolex watches, AP Royal Oaks, Patek Nautilus, Ferrari all do this. It's quite common now so your options are play the game or pay a large premium to get what you want on the grey market.

Alden rare shell cordovan can be like this too, but not quite the same. I remember when the Royal Oak was only about $1,500 more than my IWC Ingenieur. Then, like Rumplestiltskin, I fell asleep on the watch game for about 20 years, and now it's like 5 times the price or more. What happened?

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Rolex has a fake waiting list but I do want a freaking Yacht Master...

So the whole spiel about building a relationship is BS?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolex has a fake waiting list but I do want a freaking Yacht Master...

So the whole spiel about building a relationship is BS?
No, Rolex waiting list is real if the Rolex AD actually wants you as a customer. If you're a nobody with no relationship then the waiting list is fake.

Hermes Birkin bags are the same way.

Put it this way. Why would an Hermes sales associate sell their most popular bag to someone who will probably never buy another thing from Hermes again if they don't even understand how popular the bag is? That sales associate probably has several other customers who buy a bunch of stuff every year and they reward those customers by allowing them to buy a Birkin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics