• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing like scads of conflicting advice at 8:00AM!

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t do this.
No, I would give the buttonhole work to William Field. It won’t be a Milanese buttonhole but it will be done by hand.
Ah conflicting opinions, I love it!

Is this just a rude request? Or is the issue more that asking a MTM factory to leave something off their standard pattern more complicated than it seems?

I don't really care about the Milanese thing.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah conflicting opinions, I love it!

Is this just a rude request? Or is the issue more that asking a MTM factory to leave something off their standard pattern more complicated than it seems?

I don't really care about the Milanese thing.
It's okay to leave off working buttonholes on the sleeve of MTM jackets to ensure you can adjust the length properly upon receipt. Can't see any reason why leaving off the lapel buttonhole would cause an issue unless the factory just can't accommodate changes.

Also, a tailor can just remove the thread from an existing buttonhole and re-do by hand if you want. Same way they can just pull the threads out of faux buttonholes. Why not just have it made normally and adjust it later?

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's okay to leave off working buttonholes on the sleeve of MTM jackets to ensure you can adjust the length properly upon receipt. Can't see any reason why leaving off the lapel buttonhole would cause an issue unless the factory just can't accommodate changes.

Also, a tailor can just remove the thread from an existing buttonhole and re-do by hand if you want. Same way they can just pull the threads out of faux buttonholes. Why not jut have it made normally and adjust it later?
Yeah this sounds like the safest option.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a two part question:
1) I went to EP last weekend and am commissioning a navy double breasted suit, but his lapel buttonholes are machine-stitched. I usually don't care about this, but wanted to do something a little special with this suit. Is it weird to ask him to tell his factory to leave the lapel buttonhole out and I can have someone here hand-stitch them later?
2) Does anyone know a tailor in DC who does hand-stitched/milanese buttonholes on an already-finished suit?
Luis Tailor in Old Town Alexandria does working button holes.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had working buttonholes done at Best Tailoring on Lee Highway in Fairfax however I doubt they were done by hand.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did not mean to give such a curt reply, but just questioned whether it would be worth the extra time and expense to get a handmade lapel buttonhole, when a machine made one is offered.

Yes, you can request no buttonhole and then have someone do it. But candidly, in all the years of ordering bespoke and RTW suits, I have never once looked at a (presumed) machine made lapel buttonhole and wished that it had been done by hand.

Machine made buttonholes will be predictably neat and clean, There is no guarantee that a handmade buttonhole will be very clean. I have gotten handmade sleeve buttonholes from alterations tailors that were very sloppy. Since you will likely not use the buttonhole much, if at all, I don't see any benefit. Ymmv, of course.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timed passes still required unfortunately.

Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won’t recommend that place. They murdered one of my jackets and refuse to make it right

I did not have that unfortunate experience however seeing yours will make me think twice about going there. It'll be easier for me to get to Chris Kim if I need any serious work done now.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christopher Kim is my tailor. He's not cheap (although slightly less expensive than Will Field), but you get what you pay for. He and his staff do good work.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been going to Geoffrey Lewis Tailors since I moved here in 2007. They do amazing work.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do we get some of those fancy Italian tailors to travel to DC?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads