• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not heard a coherent explanation as to why one would continue wearing a mask after they have been fully vaccinated. If we hit the point where every person has had notice and a reasonable opportunity to get the vaccine (and a portion of our population has declined to take the vaccine), why should we continue to wear masks? If someone refuses to get it at that point, that's on them. Why should I continue to wear a mask to protect some anti-vax conspiracy nut like Alex Jones?

Speaking for myself, I have no clue how long or how effective the vaccine is. I’m happy I got it, but I’m still not confident enough in it that I wouldn’t want the extra protection of a mask while I’m in proximity to other people. I don’t find masks so annoying that I won’t wear one.

I’m also not going to be eating inside of a restaurant any time soon despite being fully vaccinated

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not heard a coherent explanation as to why one would continue wearing a mask after they have been fully vaccinated. If we hit the point where every person has had notice and a reasonable opportunity to get the vaccine (and a portion of our population has declined to take the vaccine), why should we continue to wear masks? If someone refuses to get it at that point, that's on them. Why should I continue to wear a mask to protect some anti-vax conspiracy nut like Alex Jones?
I think the medical assumption is that you can still get sick and shed virus even after being vaccinated. Someone might not even know they are sick at the time. I'm guessing masks will be a thing for at least another year.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
I think the medical assumption is that you can still get sick and shed virus even after being vaccinated. Someone might not even know they are sick at the time. I'm guessing masks will be a thing for at least another year.
I got JnJ and the nurse said that I can get sick as JnJ has only 70 percent protection. But I won’t die or be bad enough to be hospitalized since JnJ has 100 percent efficiency

so yeah. Technically I can still get sick and be contagious and it might be so mild I won’t even know it

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had an afternoon off so I knocked out a really long half trail/half urban ride. Amazed by all the new construction in the NE. New condos and apartments going up fast. Winds picking up ahead of storms and cooler weather blowing in tomorrow. Great day to be out there!

IMG_2393.jpg

Also, DC is finally putting an extended sidewalk in on M Street in Georgetown. It's along the north side and is all gray planking. No idea how permanent it will be. Luckily traffic was light so I could cycle through. Normally it's quite dangerous.

IMG_2392.jpg

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had an afternoon off so I knocked out a really long half trail/half urban ride. Amazed by all the new construction in the NE. New condos and apartments going up fast. Winds picking up ahead of storms and cooler weather blowing in tomorrow. Great day to be out there!

View attachment 1596772

Also, DC is finally putting an extended sidewalk in on M Street in Georgetown. It's along the north side and is all gray planking. No idea how permanent it will be. Luckily traffic was light so I could cycle through. Normally it's quite dangerous.

View attachment 1596773

M St in Georgetown is normally wall to wall cars and completely uncomfortable for anyone on the street, even those driving.

You had a lucky day!

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Parked on Route 1 and took a stroll across the Wilson Bridge and back last night while wearing a pair of bluchers, jeans, a light sweater and a Harris tweed sport coat. Oh and carrying my trusty old Cannon A-1. Thanks to a sedentary lifestyle, I am still feeling it today

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with this. Arlington is not that big and mountain bikers would tear up the trails I think. I say that as a road guy of course.

I am a mountain biker and I agree. I don't know Arlington as well as others however I don't see there are that many parks which have a large enough footprint to support mountain bike trails that will be worth riding. If you build a trail in a small park, people will just end up riding in circles because there's not that much space to have anything interesting.

An example of a park that works with a small footprint is Fountainhead. The trail winds through stream valleys and woods alongside the Occoquan Reservoir. It consists of lots of switchbacks and ups and downs. The footprint of the park is relatively small and the builders fit quite a bit of trail into the space. I don't know of a possible equivalent in Arlington.

I am surprised that the Mid-Atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts weren't mentioned in the article being that it is the organization that has enabled access to trails and built many more in the DC area.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night, I went to Sandlot Southeast behind Nats Park. It's amazing how that area has developed in the past few years, along with the Wharf, H Street, Union Market, etc. Talked to a friend who is in the market for a house. He confirmed that the DC real estate market has gone crazy. People are paying well over asking, sometimes with all cash. He attributes it to people wanting more space due to working from home, money flowing into DC, and well-heeled parents buying houses for their kids.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a two part question:
1) I went to EP last weekend and am commissioning a navy double breasted suit, but his lapel buttonholes are machine-stitched. I usually don't care about this, but wanted to do something a little special with this suit. Is it weird to ask him to tell his factory to leave the lapel buttonhole out and I can have someone here hand-stitch them later?
2) Does anyone know a tailor in DC who does hand-stitched/milanese buttonholes on an already-finished suit?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) I went to EP last weekend and am commissioning a navy double breasted suit, but his lapel buttonholes are machine-stitched. I usually don't care about this, but wanted to do something a little special with this suit. Is it weird to ask him to tell his factory to leave the lapel buttonhole out and I can have someone here hand-stitch them later?
2) Does anyone know a tailor in DC who does hand-stitched/milanese buttonholes on an already-finished suit?
No, I would give the buttonhole work to William Field. It won’t be a Milanese buttonhole but it will be done by hand.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you're commissioning the suit so you call the shots. Probably okay to ask Ezra to leave off the lapel buttonhole. Assuming the thread is normal color and someone else can easily match it.

Geoffrey Lewis stopped doing working buttonholes. Sid Mashburn's tailor takes outside work as long as they are not too busy. Maybe try Christopher Kim? He does great work but I have no idea if he does buttonholes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads