• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been paying attention to the real estate market here since covid happened? My old realtor mentioned the prices in Arlington are on the rise given the lower interest and people’s tendencies to over bid on a property given the limited selection.

What happens when interest rates go back up? Will prices still be high?

DC housing is super competitive (read: expensive) right now

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing day out there. Did the Rock Creek Park trail and then jumped off and headed down to Dacha on 7th Street. Loved the 14th Street Corridor and Colombia Heights mini-downtown was very neat. Heading to new WWI memorial after:

2AEEDF0D-6C2C-4B35-9A22-BBFE8241004D.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WWI Memorial is really cool but very late. You’d think that the event that set the stage for the last century of world events would have been recognized earlier. At least the campaign list recognized the Polar Bear Expedition to Archangel and the 27th Infantry Wolfhounds mucking about in Siberia.

EDIT: Kansas City has a spectacular one. Definitely check it out if you’re out there for Blues bars and great steaks.

2A6560F5-55CA-4B0C-9606-9542FA150FDE.jpeg AB2311D3-4990-4BDE-8663-8DC95E27EEBB.jpeg 4A3C0D4D-5BE6-4D77-A704-8F326BBBB9C0.jpeg BE01B76C-07B2-41F2-8080-3A54B746B582.jpeg C60F27CB-599B-48F9-8120-4BF0A51C47CA.jpeg E5CA7E7D-EA19-45D7-970F-1479823696E5.jpeg 024FEDEE-1CBB-43C0-BC7A-1D72872FD613.jpeg D97D1586-0F35-453B-A44D-6074439940D8.jpeg

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When will we start taking the masks off?
My guess is that this will depend on what the research shows about post-vaccination transmission. If it looks like vaccinated people can't transmit then fingers crossed we're not wearing masks sometime this summer.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that this will depend on what the research shows about post-vaccination transmission. If it looks like vaccinated people can't transmit then fingers crossed we're not wearing masks sometime this summer.
I'm wondering if enough data will be in by then to make an informed decision? I'm guessing there will be many localized Fall surges of Covid and we'll be in masks until this time next year.

Schools in NoVa planning for full school weeks this Fall with option for digital lessons. My two 16 year old nits are going in if I have to sling them in the trunk of the car and dump them at the doorstep. They get vaccinated with Pfizer shot #1 this Wednesday. Apparently that's the only vaccine authorized for under-18s.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We are all technically part of a massive clinical trial to see how well the vaccines work to prevent transmission and as such, it's hard to make predictions about when we can lower our defenses.

I'll deal with masks for a while if necessary. Hopefully, we can stop worrying about them sooner than later.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When will we start taking the masks off?

Until the entire country is vaccinated at 85+% or better (and world for that matter) new variants will continue popping up requiring booster shots. If the variants only lead to cold-like symptoms I think we'll be fine taking our masks off. If they lead to hospitalization again and death for those vaccinated, then masks will be mandatory for a long, long time.

Personally, I'm wearing a mask until my daughters are vaccinated. They are 13 and 10, so they're not yet eligible. I know my 13 year old is on the way b/c of the EUA request for 12+, but my 10 year old could be some time into 2022 or when she turns 12 in January 2023.

I get my second shot of Moderna May 14.

They really want to go to Universal Studios Orlando and I really want to take them. We were going to go this past November. Now, we're on hold until my youngest is vaccinated. It sucks, but the worst case scenario alternative is worse by such a significant magnitude that we won't consider the trip.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if enough data will be in by then to make an informed decision? I'm guessing there will be many localized Fall surges of Covid and we'll be in masks until this time next year.

Oh boy...... ?

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
So, basically, as long as new variants of COVID keep emerging (which they undoubtedly will), we will be wearing masks? This is assuming the vaccines aren't effective against these new variants.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, basically, as long as new variants of COVID keep emerging (which they undoubtedly will), we will be wearing masks? This is assuming the vaccines aren't effective against these new variants.
As more of the world gets vaccinated the chances for the virus to mutate will lessen. Fewer hosts. Will take some time though. I think the Atlantic's characterization of future outbreaks as tornados rather than the hurricane we all just went through.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads